Detachable mag for Remington 700

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I was looking through the different options as far as putting a detachable magazine system on my Remington 700. Anyone have any experience with this? Which system did you use? Do you like it? Pros/cons?

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Ive used Atlasworx and CDI. Im kind of cheap I guess. They both worked. Both of these use AI mags.

If you are buying a new stock, Id just get a Manners stock with their chassis system in place. It eliminates the need for bottom metal and may or may not eliminate the need for bedding.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    get with one of the regular precision guys, (ritten) (mickey) (chaser) they might have some solid answers that they see works or doesnt..

I would get seekins if I did it over, or a manners.. but I dont shoot often enough to know what works in the rain, dirt,.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I sent a pm out as mentioned above. Hadn't seen most of these options on internet searches. Google seems to be total crap lately when doing searches. Will definitely start looking in to all of these.

Really looking for anyone's experiences with installing these and the performance/function that you've seen with them. Everyone loves to say online that they've got it and its installed, but they rarely follow that up with feedback after use.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    All of the brands that have been listed in this thread work, and work well. Stay away from HS Precision, Remington, and other brands that require you to use proprietary magazines or anything other than the AICS style magazines. The difference between CDI, Seekins, Badger, Surgeon, ect. is usually the magazine release method and/or the amount of metal that protrudes down from the bottom of the stock. These features don't make one better than the other, but rather allow for your preference and shooting style. For example, on my tactical competition rifle I run a surgeon DBM because the front of the mag well protrudes down in a flat fashion allowing me to press the rifle against a barrier without affecting the rest of the function. However on my hunting rifle I run a Hooper Ordinance because it is flat against the bottom, snags less when walking through woods, and the mag release can be operated from inside the trigger guard. I will be going with a new stock for this coming season and switching to an APA because it has no lever hanging down at all, is flat against the bottom and has the same inletting as the Badger M5.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Surgeon

Atlasworx

Hooper Ordinance

Badger M5

They all work. The hard part will be finding a gunsmith to inlet your stock for whichever you go with, however. I don't offer this service anymore, but if you're about to order a stock then you'll want to make your decision before hand and order it inletted for whichever you go with. OR the manufacture of your stock may offer an inletting service.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The OP is looking to put bottom metal on the factory Remmy SPS Tactical that has a Factory Hogue on it.
    I am with Kengel2 on this one. Manners with a mini chassis is an excellent choice.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Wyatt makes a system that screws into place on a standard Remington stock. You can buy it at Red Hawk Rifles. No inleting required.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Wyatt makes a system that screws into place on a standard Remington stock. You can buy it at Red Hawk Rifles. No inleting required.

The Wyatt's DBM will only take Wyatt magazines and is not as robust as other designs IMO. I put it in the same category as the Remington and HS Precision hardware.

The OP is looking to put bottom metal on the factory Remmy SPS Tactical that has a Factory Hogue on it.
    I am with Kengel2 on this one. Manners with a mini chassis is an excellent choice.

Agreed. A stock upgrade from the Hogue to the Manners and chassis is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA

Some require shimming to feed properly.

Thinking about it a little more, if the OP is planning on shooting prone those 10 round Wyatt mags, being single stack, hang down quite a bit and may be cumbersome.

Last edited:

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Some require shimming to feed properly.

Thinking about it a little more, if the OP is planning on shooting prone those 10 round Wyatt mags, being single stack, hang down quite a bit and may be cumbersome.

That is why I use 4-5 round mags in the match. You can convert the rifle back to the internal feed system. That is why I went with the Wyatt. I wish some one would come up with a system you could use M1A mags. I bought the Wyatt because I'm cheap!:dogkeke:

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I was watching a guy on YouTube with the Wyatt and yes the single stack mags hang too low.The proprietary mag idea really rubs me the wrong way. I also didn't like the way the mag released. It didn't look smooth at all.

I'm not opposed to changing the stock out, but if I do decide to get all this work done I will probably go ahead and bed the new stock.

A question for you precision guys, do you think its worth it to do all this work to the rifle I have or would I be better off going with a different rifle from the get go? Right now including optics I'm still under a grand on this one. I'm not really happy with how close the bolt is to the scope either. This is the first really solid rifle that I've owned and I've never put a scope on bolt action before so I'm not sure if my expectations are unrealistic or not regarding the space between the two.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I was watching a guy on YouTube with the Wyatt and yes the single stack mags hang too low.The proprietary mag idea really rubs me the wrong way. I also didn't like the way the mag released. It didn't look smooth at all.

I'm not opposed to changing the stock out, but if I do decide to get all this work done I will probably go ahead and bed the new stock.

A question for you precision guys, do you think its worth it to do all this work to the rifle I have or would I be better off going with a different rifle from the get go? Right now including optics I'm still under a grand on this one. I'm not really happy with how close the bolt is to the scope either. This is the first really solid rifle that I've owned and I've never put a scope on bolt action before so I'm not sure if my expectations are unrealistic or not regarding the space between the two.

That is a very big question that a lot of guys ask with the answer being that it's entirely up to you and your budget. If you can afford going with a high end factory rifle (TRG, AIAW, AIAX, etc.) or a full custom right from the start and have plans to actually use it, then yes it's worth it. A factory action can be made to shoot just as well as those listed above but for the money that you will spend having all of the same options installed on it (side bolt release, trued surfaces, precision bolt body, threaded handle and knob, ect.) then you will have spent nearly as much. You might want to look at some other rifle/mount/scope combinations to see how yours feels in relation and that should tell you if your expectations are realistic.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Absolutely.
    Upgrade optics and put a jewel trigger on it along the way.
    By the time your skills improve to the point that you need more rifle, the barrel will probably be starting to go.
    Rebarrel with a quality cut rifle barrel and true the action at the same time. It will be better than new.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Okay awesome. So I was taking a hard look at those manner stocks with the mini chassis that has been suggested and it all looks very good. I can't find any pricing on the stocks though. What's the price range on their stocks?

I'd be pretty happy with a thumbhole stock and getting rid of this Hogue. Its not stiff enough so the bipod seems to screw up the free float design. The MCS-T5 & T5A are exactly what I've been wanting. I've never used a cheek rest, but it always seemed like it would help. You guys have an opinion on using them or not?

I'm not really opposed to spending another grand on this rifle, just want to be happy with it in the end. So far I have been very pleased with it and I really love the 20" barrel. My skills aren't worthy of a really high end custom rifle right now and that's not really in the budget either. The one I have is still a better shooter than I am!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom