Diamondback 9mm: anybody review?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I'll probably wind up with the Ruger LC-9, but I got to "touch" the DB at academy and its got me a little torn.

Perks for me were the smaller size, because I'm intending on giving up the seecamp for a new pocket carry/backup because, well, enuff said.
    One thing I thought would be an issue is the smaller trigger guard. The one I "touched" had a trigger lock in the way, but I could tell there doesn't seem to be much finger room in there.
    I haven't shot either gun, of course, and this is not really a comparison thread,(and I'm sure I'll have to read over a few LC, KelTech, Kahrr posts) but this itty bitty 9mm has piquéd my interest. Priced just below the stripped down one mag version of the LC
    Haven't READ any bad so far, but nothing serves me like word of mouth and the (mostly) valuable opinions of this great bunch of guys and gals here.
    So, anybody give me an honest review?
    Trigger pull?
    Dependability?
    Appetite for ammo?
    Availability and price of mags?

Secondhand word of mouth acceptable, current or past owners/shooters preferred.
    Bash on.

Last edited:

cvinson

We the People...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    The pistol feels great in my hand also. I gave it serious thoughts too. But any number of friends I have that sell these also warn me against them. There appears to be too many mechanical issues, in their opinions to make me comfortable with EDC.

I hope they figure it out because it is a nice pistol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Inbox cleared!
    And thanks for the info cvinson. And that's exactly why I'm asking. But whatever I get is gonna be put through the paces til I know I can depend on it.

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    One you're gonna go buy new should be newer production and they have taken care of some of the problems like the walking trigger pin. There's a forum dedicated to dimondback, google it and they've got tons of info. The owner of the company post on there from time to time.

I used to own one. I didn't find the recoil to be too bad, but I'm not recoil sensitive at all. It's not tolerant at all to limp-wristing. It'll stovepipe if you don't have an iron grip on it, but I had no trouble firing it one handed. It's pretty accurate for its size and it feels less toylike than its kel tec counterpart. Overall, I liked this pistol.

I sold it for two reasons. One was to fund another pistol that I wanted more. The other was more of a preference thing. I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a hammer. I'm not sure why but carrying pistols without exposed hammers makes me paranoid that something is gonna fail and it's gonna fire. It's irrational, I know. The dimondback's firing mechanism is completely safe and there's no way for it to fire without pulling the trigger.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I had a DB380 and it wasn't a bad gun. I didn't like the sights though and no slide stop made the boys at the range nervous.

The "unreliability" issues people had were solved by breaking the gun in. From what I read the slide spring was really strong and you just have to rack the slide a few hundred times (or put a few hundred rounds through it) to make it function properly :dunno:

prostreetr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Houma, La.
    I own and use the Diamondback 380. After the breakin period this little unit is as accurate as possible and little recoil. Yes there were some major issues in the earlier productions, however the company backs them up 100%. I sent mine in for a broken trigger spring and they replaced with DB9 (9mm) trigger and added additional pin to better secure the trigger assembly. This little unit weighs next to nothing and with the newer self defense rounds can pack a great punch.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Thanks for the input guys. Saving my pennies and planning on the DB 9.
    Rocknrolla, found a forum on the DB and found it very helpful. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Whatever you do, remember that the DB9 is NOT rated for +P ammo. There are many stories on the web of them blowing up after only 1 +P round, not a magazine full.

They're good little pistols for the money, and they work. But don't use them for anything other than what they're intended for: A deep cover BUG.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    It sounds like you have alresdy made up your mind. If you are currently pocket carrying a Secamp and want to continue carrying something similar, I would suggest a Rohrbaugh R9. It is a high quality pistol in 9mm. I've had mine for over three years and wouldn't trade it for anything. It has been completely reliable with any ammo I tried, even handloads. It is more expensive than the Diamondback. I think I paid 1050 out the door for mine. I would buy another one if something happened to this one I like it that much. Good luck with your search. Dave

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    No offense, but myself and many other people are simply not going to pay $1000 or more for a pocket pistol.

Having said that, if you do pay $1000 for a pocket pistol, it better be reliable with any ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom