did ducks unlimited stop most ducks from coming to louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    thats what i hear a lot. the only fact i do know is there aren't nearly as many ducks in the atchafalaya basin as they used to back in the 90s when i did duck hunt.

if duck unlimited really did that, why the hell anyone in louisiana would support them?

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Yep!!!!!!!!!

They actually put them up at a Holiday Inn Express in Hot Springs, Arkansas for the winter........:p

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    They aid in intercepting the flight path by circulating/heating water in ponds and shallow-water lake bays in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. They also plan on expanding this program, with your donations, in the next few years. The main reason I, and quite a few of my fellow wingshooters, are members of Delta Waterfowl. Even our local Former DU president and Former state officer, are no longer members of DU and now members of DW. Look into it and ask questions at the next gathering you attend. You may also want to look at your NRA membership and consider if you want your money to go to an organization who plans on endorsing Herry Reid in the upcoming election!

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    They aid in intercepting the flight path by circulating/heating water in ponds and shallow-water lake bays in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. They also plan on expanding this program, with your donations, in the next few years. The main reason I, and quite a few of my fellow wingshooters, are members of Delta Waterfowl. Even our local Former DU president and Former state officer, are no longer members of DU and now members of DW. Look into it and ask questions at the next gathering you attend. You may also want to look at your NRA membership and consider if you want your money to go to an organization who plans on endorsing Herry Reid in the upcoming election!

Any link or reference to proof? (regarding DU) I'm just curious, I've always heard the rumors but never seen any actual evidence.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge

GOOYAH!!!! I best put on my tinferl hat right away!!!!!!!:D

Nah, DU stops the birds using BIG nets strung east to west on the flyway. duh.......

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Laugh all you want but its true. Dont know about the warm water ponds but I do know that they pay farmers to plant crops, then instead of harvesting them, have them knock them over with telephone poles behind a tractor and flood the fields up north. DU takes in much more money from up north and out of state than LA, its board is made up of mostly out of state members. What do you think they are going to do, help hunting in LA?

Delta Waterfowl is big on nesting area preservation and predator control. Thier theory is more ducks survive the hatch equals more ducks in the field as opposed to DU's "habitat and feed approach. Delta has shown that thier efforts have improved survivablility of the hatch by 30%. I dont think DU can touch that.

Read in the paper today that LA pulled its funding to Delta Waterfowl because they were using the money for "predator control" instead of "Habitat Improvement". DU will now get that funding. I wonder what DU member on the LDWF board came up with that rule.

Phil RObertson aka "the Duck Commander" detests DU, but is a big Delta Waterfowl supporter.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can tell you how many organizations heat lakes in the north: They pump used water from nuclear plants into them, resulting in warm water lakes and/or flooded agricultural fields year-round.
    If you were a duck and found that in the dead of winter, would you want to leave?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm on my iPhone right now- but look up mazoniahuntingclub.com in Illinois. They have been using the nuclear technique for years....

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    isn't migration an innate thing?

They will go as far south as they have to for open water and food. Usually, that's us in the Mississippi Flyway....

Honestly- with the current situation- I shudder to think of the possibility of ducks landing in contaminated conditions.....:(

Last edited:

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    It's called "No Till" farming. It became all the rage amongst the farming elits in the early 2000's. Saves the farms lots of money in fuel cost. The ducks go where the food is. DU doesn't have enough money to warm ponds and pay farmers hot to harvest.

Zip7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2007
    The truth is, that way back when Louisiana was the capital of duck hunting everywhere, things were different. We had the most shallow water habitat.

Since then, almost all of SE Arkansas delta farmland has been managed for ducks much more than it was in the past. I grew up hunting in the NE LA delta before it cost an arm and a leg to buy in to it. Lots of ducks that used to come here now winter in Arkansas unless severe winter drives them on south. THere's just a lot more suitable habitat there than it used to be. There are a lot of DU projects around too, but all of the ones I have seen are farmed just like normal, and then after harvest DU holds water in the rice fields for ducks. These are used as sanctuaries - no hunting - at least the ones I know of.

Top Bottom