Did Roberts just gut the commerce clause with his vote FOR obamacare?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ason_the_chief_justice_upheld_obamacare_.html

The jury is still out, so to speak, but even slate is reporting it and slate is a big bastion of obama defense.

From Roberts Opinion:
    Construing the Commerce Clause to permit Congress to regulate individuals precisely because they are doing nothing would open a new and potentially vast domain to congressional authority. Congress already possesses expansive power to regulate what people do. Upholding the Affordable Care Act under the Commerce Clause would give Congress the same license to regulate what people do not do. The Framers knew the difference between doing something and doing nothing. They gave Congress the power to regulate commerce, not to compel it. Ignoring that distinction would undermine the principle that the Federal Government is a government of limited and enumerated powers. The individual mandate thus cannot be sustained under Congress’s power to *regulate Commerce.*

This opens the door to new challenges to the commerce clause, ultimately.

Digging more into it. I went on a rant about Roberts this morning but deleted it as I started hearing something about this.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Hmmm......
    xus7ykdkd600f8y7ig5h.png

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I hadn't read the whole thing, but from my understanding SCOTUS decided that Obamacare could NOT be upheld by the Commerce Clause.

SCOTUS decided that Obamacare COULD be upheld because of the Government's power to tax.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    He must be bored up there. Opens the door for ALL kinds of challenges...

Now with a new president, Rep congress and a repeal of O-BS-care, we'll all be better off :x:

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    This is just my own opinion, but I feel that Chief Justice Roberts gave the American people a gift today. While preserving his duties as a Supreme Court justice, Roberts preserved the Commerce Clause by denying Congress the ability to mandate what the American people must purchase. Second, he exposed the lies of the Left that Obamacare was not a tax by stating that under the Constitution the Congress can regulate and levy taxes on the American people. And lastly, by upholding the Constitutionality of Obamacare, Chief Justice Roberts energized the voters with his statement to "not hold the court responsible for the people we elect to represent us" to repeal Obamacare and overthrow Obama this November.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    This is just my own opinion, but I feel that Chief Justice Roberts gave the American people a gift today. While preserving his duties as a Supreme Court justice, Roberts preserved the Commerce Clause by denying Congress the ability to mandate what the American people must purchase. Second, he exposed the lies of the Left that Obamacare was not a tax by stating that under the Constitution the Congress can regulate and levy taxes on the American people. And lastly, by upholding the Constitutionality of Obamacare, Chief Justice Roberts energized the voters with his statement to "not hold the court responsible for the people we elect to represent us" to repeal Obamacare and overthrow Obama this November.

I agree. I really wish it hadn't been him that caused it to happen, because I think a lot of people will look at his legacy as tarnished now. People are outing him as a traitor already. But, I still think he handed the right the presidency today.

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    The GNOTP held a rally today at Veterans and Causeway to protest Obama Health Tax

We captured an Obama supporter and converted him with one question -- "Is it right to say its not a tax and then to get it passed the Supreme Court as a tax?"

553857_10150788940077537_361410282_n.jpg

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Hate to say it, but the COTUS has been dead and meaningless many, MANY moons before this incident...I've probably not been alive long enough to have EVER been witness to the COTUS actually meaning anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom