Dillion XL650 vs 550B

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawke34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2013
    Metairie, LA
    I am about to get rid of my Lee Pro 1000 to switch over to a Dillion Press. I currently reload 9mm, 40S&W, and .223. I rarely have more than about 1,000 of each round on hand. However, I am stuck on which would actually fit my needs more. I do like the Case Feeder and other bells and whistles that come with the XL650, and I do plan to start shooting in some local custom matches. I have had some issues that are pretty well known with the Lee Pro 1000. Including Powder drop and Case Feeding Issues. Don't get me wrong the Lee Pro 1000 has been a decent press for the money, but you do get what you pay for, and I am ready to upgrade my equipment.

What are you thoughts?

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    I am also looking at doing the same thing except upgrading from the Lee torrent press to a dillon. I was looking at the 650 and a guy at work mentioned the 550. At first I was like, sure its cheaper, that sounds better to me but then I looked at the differences and there are two that made me say no to the 550 and start saving up for the 650. The first is that there is no automatic indexing with the 550. You have to manually turn the plate. The second is that there is room for a powder check on the 650. I would like to have that as a sanity check to help mitigate squib loads. I know it doesn't replace visual inspection, but I feel it will help aid in the inspection.

If you want to save a little money and are handy with tools, there are a few videos on YouTube showing how to make an automatic case feeder out of a 5 gallon bucket and using a 4 RPM motor for the shell plate. The hardest part seems to be the actual shell plates themselves but for a fraction of the cost, I could mess up a few pieces of plexi until I got it right.

Hawke34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2013
    Metairie, LA
    Well on a Lee, as you know, they are famous for Squibs. I even have the updated Powder drop, and this is the main reason I am swapping. I friend of mine has had a 550 for years now. The good thing about it is if for some reason you make a mistake, you can easily just reverse the manual adjustment and correct. It does allow more a more manual operation and more checks. I have heard people swear by both, but thanks for the tips and info.

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    650 is by far he best press for the money. I also can change out my calibers within 10 minutes and when loading 40, I can turn out about 500 an hour. Call Brain at LA Reloading and he can set you up.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    The only thing I don't like about my 650 is it's always running out of primers....

Get the powder checker!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The 650 does not come with a case feeder, it is an option. There is also one available for the 550.
    I own and use both machines. Caliber conversions are quite simple on both machines. Changing primer sizes on the 650 is a little involved.
    I use the 550 for my rifle loading. Deprime and resize then do all case prep. Remove die from station 1 then load progressivly. The manual indexing isn't as much of a hindrance as you would think.
    Either machine will serve you well. Are the added dollars worth the added features to YOU? Only you can make that choice.
    Paying a visit to Bryan at LA Gun and Reloading is a very good suggestion.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    If you insist on the case feed option and you want to reload rifle then your only option is the 650. The case feed on the 550 is pistol only. Also, if you install the case feed on the 550 it's a real pain in the ass to try to hand feed a case.

Top Bottom