Dillon 1050?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    Having trouble deciding whether or not if it's worth getting a dillon super 1050 over a 650xl.

If anyone has a 1050, how actual rounds per hour can you produce w/ it?

How many rounds per month would you have to produce to consider a 1050 over a 650?

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    If you ever intend to load bulk rifle (or any other brass that has crimped primers) they swage the brass as you load....effortlessly.
    They also prime on the downstroke, a big plus in my opinion.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of a lifetime warranty. I know some folks that have several on their bench, and they get used alot. Never heard him whine about parts breakages.
    I'm still regretting not getting the one that was listed here several months back.

SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    Yes I aware of the "no lifetime warranty" and perfectly fine w/ it.

I've been having to load too much lately on a 650 and it just seams to take too long (maybe I'm just impatient) , will be doing 3000-5000+ 9mm a month, not including 223, 300 blkout, 40, and 45.

I use a single stage press for 308, 260, and a few other precision rifles.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    The 650 is an awesome press and you can't go wrong with it. As you increase in size and complexity to the 1050 you lose the lifetime-warranty and have more to deal with during caliber changes. If money is NOT something you worry about and need to load really fast go 1050, else 650.

Beaver Creek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Denham Springs (Watson Area)
    I've had 2 1050's running since 1992, back when I was a Class 6 manufacturer. They have been virtually maintenance free with the only parts replaced being small stuff, mostly nylon, rubber or the stuff I misplace now & then. With good knowledge of the machine you can convert calibers , clean & relube in about 20-30 minutes. I use 2 because it more than doubles my setup time dealing with changing out the primer and primer pocket swager system. I keep 1 set up for small primers and 1 for large. With primer tubes filled I can produce close to 1000/hr pistol and 600/hr rifle. This is with good brass. Stoppages usually occur only when a wrong caliber case gets into the case feeder. As with all Dillon or other powder measures erratic charges can occur with stick powders. I still handload & weigh loads using stick powders but others I know just use a 2-step process to skip the powder charge process with the 1050.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    You are correct. But you'd be amazed at how much extra time is needed for the pause and push to seat the primer on a 550 or 650.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    I always take great care and try to "feel" each primer being seated. Is there less chance of a primer detonating with the 1050 than the 650 if both are operated at the same pace?

Max's Choice

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Meraux La
    I see that some one said that you don't have a warr. because it is a comm press but when i had one they told me that because it was for personal use it would be warr. But of there no BS warr is not all that is cracked up to because all 6 of my presses was in Kat and they would not even look at them. So beware of Dillions warr. And to answer your question i only could load maybe 200 or so rounds more a hour and when the 1050 craps out it is a nightmare to get back running. I would stay with the 650 my self.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    If you have a large demand for rounds, the 1050 is the choice.
    If you don't need a case feeder, the Hornady L-N-L is the choice.
    If you need a case feeder but don't want to spend the money for a 1050, the 650 is the choice.
    I gave my L-N-L to my son and have three 1050s currently.
    Dillon has replaced parts broken for free. Dillon has charged me for lost parts. Dillon did a cleaning and overhaul for about $100.
    As long as they know me and know that I am not using an Auto-Drive, they still will take care of me just fine.
    PS: I have had problems with each of my case feeders and would still be quite happy with a couple of L-N-L APs and no case feeders. With a Dillon, you absolutely want a case feeder due to poor ergonomics (just like LoadMaster and the RCBS AP).

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    What??? I have no idea what you're referring to, but I and a lot of other folks I know do just fine without case feeders on our Dillons.

I do, however, know a couple folks who have had endless grief with their case feeders on 550s... and no, they are not dumb-asses.

He might be referring to the XL650 and up. I had to add the case feeder to my 650 because there was too much in the way of dropping the case in. I would literally have to drop each case in the feeder tube because I couldn't get my hand to fit in the press. Then I would have to refill like every 20 rounds. I decided that throwing a couple hundred cases in the hopper and let'er roll was the better option for me.

The 550 is super easy to get your hand into and I often regret not buying the 550, but the speed difference is apparent with the case feeder and the auto-index.

Dillon Ergonomic are exactly as they are intended though and I agree with you 100%.

Top Bottom