Discussion at work over M16 bolt carriers raises a few questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    Ok so here is the story.

While at work today me and a coworker were talking about AR's when I happened to mention that I would like to install a FA BCG on my rifle. I have heard about the increased lock time and strength of the full size carriers and was interested in the upgrade.

He procedes to tell me that having even just a carrier in a semi-auto rifle with no auto sear or other FA parts still constitutes as a machine gun in the eyes of the NFA. After a little checking he pulls up what appears to be the law stating that ANY bolt carrier, auto sear or other such part does constitute a machine gun.

I did a little searching later and found a pdf of a letter from a director in the NFA stating that unless the part made the gun fire more than one round with a single pull of the trigger that it was NOT a machine gun and as such perfectly legal.

My questions are:
    1) Is a M16 bolt carrier worth spending the money on.
    2) Is it true that it is considered a machine gun when installed in a semi-auto only gun.
    3) Has anyone ever gotten in trouble from having a FA BCG installed in a semi-auto.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    My questions are:
    1) Is a M16 bolt carrier worth spending the money on. IMO, Yes. However that may depend on how your rifle runs currently.
    2) Is it true that it is considered a machine gun when installed in a semi-auto only gun. Negative.
    3) Has anyone ever gotten in trouble from having a FA BCG installed in a semi-auto. Negatvie.

Responses in red.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I was reading an article in Precision Shooting recently which mentioned that Colt had been manufacturing all their AR15 rifles with the FA carrier for some years now (although I can't prove or disapprove). The article mentioned benefits for the heavier weight of the FA carrier lengthening lock time, and also shrouding the firing pin. I'm told that all M16 type carriers as a general rule are MP tested, but AR15 type carriers may or may not, depending on manufacturer.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The media has done its job well, are you sure you even have a AR 15, and not a AK 47?

confused.gif

Something else to say?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    He's saying that the media treats any gun as a "machine gun" even if it's semi-auto, and claims most rifles used in crimes are AK47s... from a Remington 700 to AR15s, lol. Oh, and they're also ASSAULT RIFLES.

If I read him right, he thinks the same as I do... the guy the OP works with is spreading national-media-quality FUD and misinformation.

An M16 BCG does not make your weapon any more full-auto, or any more easily convertible to Full Auto than a lightweight AR15 BCG.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    He's saying that the media treats any gun as a "machine gun" even if it's semi-auto, and claims most rifles used in crimes are AK47s... from a Remington 700 to AR15s, lol. Oh, and they're also ASSAULT RIFLES.

If I read him right, he thinks the same as I do... the guy the OP works with is spreading national-media-quality FUD and misinformation.

An M16 BCG does not make your weapon any more full-auto, or any more easily convertible to Full Auto than a lightweight AR15 BCG.

To further clarify:

Humor_funny_journalists_guide_to_firearms_ak47_glock.jpg

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Per Bravo Company's website as this continuially comes up:
    "Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
    ...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled. Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA. An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle."

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    OK so just to be clear, a M16 bolt carrier is perfectly legal to have in a semi auto only rifle.
    I had thought this was the case but everything I researched seemed to contradict something else.
    ....then again it is the BATF....

Top Bottom