Dish Network?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Anyone have any experience with Dish Network? Positive? Negative?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm considering switching over from DirecTV

Just seems like every year my DirecTV bill keeps getting raised a few bucks with no real changes or additions to the programming...

Plus they want to charge me out the ying-yang just to upgrade ONE tv to HD...:mad:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I've had Dish for 6 years, I hate them...they are slow, expensive and undependable...they are no worse than Direct TV from what friends tell me, in the sticks those are the two choices...no cable within miles of here

So I stay with Dish...if you have alternatives look closely

It took them 4 appointments and 2 months to show up and move my Dish 25 feet and reconnect after a remodel...like I said, I hate Dish

Did I mention I hate Dish ??

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I hate DISH.....they suck. I have had Directv for years and years but right after Katrina I switched over. They are expensive...the HD channel selection SUCKS. Sometimes a channel is in HD and sometimes its not. Their customer service was not that good.

I switched back to Directv and will never go back to dish. I have no problems with my Directv. It has to be STORMING super hard for me to lose signal most of the time. The customer service is great for the most part.......More HD channels and better HD channels. Better packages.....plus im used to what channel is where.

Last edited:

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Dish Network could not have cared less about our Region until after Katrina. They descended on us Post K to pick up on the easy cash from those switching from Cable. I will keep Direct TV. With the, I know what to expect. We have had good service.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    I had Dish for a year and all the things you complained about are even worse with Dish. I had one random charge for 69.99 that took us over a month to get taken off and no one could tell us what is was about at Dish.

Hands down, Direct TV

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I like dishnetwork, they wanted to charge me $500 for an hd dvr box when I wanted to upgrade my living room since I just upgraded my bedroom for no charge within the last year. I bought a similar box off ebay for $200. Reason I stay with dish network is the dual tuner boxes, dtv doesnt have them.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I like dishnetwork, they wanted to charge me $500 for an hd dvr box when I wanted to upgrade my living room since I just upgraded my bedroom for no charge within the last year. I bought a similar box off ebay for $200. Reason I stay with dish network is the dual tuner boxes, dtv doesnt have them.

I have DirectTV. The only complaint is their prices keep going up. I have 2 HD DVR boxes and they are both dual tuner. You can record two things while watching another if you want.

irishredhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Slidell, La
    i would go with dish. I had directTv at my house and it was alright. But Dish is a bit cheaper. And from what ive experienced their internet is perdy good too :)

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I have DirecTv, but I'm about to switch because they stopped carrying my favorite channel, G4.

Half the price for same channels and I'll get HD with 2 DVRs.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have had both and currently have dish, may swap when contract runs out to get the low price for a year.
    Prices go up on both. For me, dish is actually cheaper, since they operate 2 tvs with 1 receiver. I am running 4 tvs with dvr right now.
    If you have small kids, dtv has a channel that dish doesnt offer for them (cant remember the name), that is the only programming difference I could find.
    I have had excellent service with dish including 1 move/upgrade and a recent remote replacement.
    If you dont have small kids and live in the middle of nowhere, get rid of satellite and get a digital antenna and use that and internet= much cheaper.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Thanks for the input guys.....

Anyone else find it crappy that if you're a brand-new customer you can get the better equipment for free, but if you're an existing customer (I've been with DirecTV for almost 7 years) that they want to charge you regular price to upgrade your equipment? Seems like they'd offer long-term customers some kind of incentive to stay....

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    No kidding? Guess I talked to the wrong person when I called...I asked about re-newing and they said that it wasn't an option unless I cancelled my service then came back as a new customer....:confused:

Even so, if I sign a new contract I'll lose my current package and rate plan. In order to get the same channels I have now, my rate would go up...:mad:

I might re-visit that idea again though....I don't mind the contract....

It's not that I'm unhappy with the service...I've only had one minor problem and they sent a tech out who addressed it at no charge to me...Other than that, I've been a mostly-satisfied customer...

My biggest grip is the upgrade fees and the increasing rates without a corresponding increase in programming (if anything, it seems that I've lost a few channels through the years)

One thing that does have me leary of Dish though is that each time I've called to enquire about service, I keep getting different price quotes for the same exact package and equipment and can never get a straight answer why...Plus, it's hard to get someone on the phone who speaks intelligible English....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom