disney world

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Ok, contemplating a trip to disney next summer and figured I would ask here. I know plenty of yall have been.
    What to avoid?
    What to not miss?
    I really cant see paying a ton (3 times as much) for a fancy room that I will doing nothing but sleep in, motel 6 style is fine by me as long as it has a clean bed and working tv, so the value and moderate accommodations seem fine to me. Any of those to avoid?
    Is the park hopper worthwhile? If there for 7 days, I cant really see visiting multiple parks in the same day.
    I have heard to just get the meal plan as it actually saves money and makes things easier, true?
    Other tips/ advise? We will be driving.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I've stayed on and off Disney property and for my money, I won't ever stay off-site again. There are a lot of different levels of resorts so you should be able to find one that fits the budget. Besides having access to the parks before and after anyone not staying at a Disney property, the cleanliness of the properties and free transportation was worth the difference. You catch the bus or monorail right at the resort lobby and they run all over, all day. you can go between parks as well. We were there one time, right after the first Toy Story came out, and there was a ride at The Magic Kingdom based on the story of the Buzz Lightyear toy. It was a kiddie ride where two people went through in a little car through the dark and shot lasers at fluorescent targets lit up with black lights. We waited in line about 40 minutes to ride it the first day. We got up early the next morning and went to the park an hour before the general public was let in. Of course, my son insisted we make a beeline back to the Buzz ride. I think we rode that ride about 20 times just getting off, running around and jumping back on. IMO, we got our money's worth.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Ok, contemplating a trip to disney next summer and figured I would ask here. I know plenty of yall have been.
    What to avoid?
    What to not miss?
    I really cant see paying a ton (3 times as much) for a fancy room that I will doing nothing but sleep in, motel 6 style is fine by me as long as it has a clean bed and working tv, so the value and moderate accommodations seem fine to me. Any of those to avoid?
    Is the park hopper worthwhile? If there for 7 days, I cant really see visiting multiple parks in the same day.
    I have heard to just get the meal plan as it actually saves money and makes things easier, true?
    Other tips/ advise? We will be driving.

It's a blast. Let me give you the rundown of what it cost my wife, son and I to go back in 2010.

We bought a package deal from Disney.com. There's probably cheaper ways to do it, but I liked that it was right there (you also get to stay at Magic Kingdom an hour or two extra some (or all) nights if you're staying at one of the Disney resorts).

We stayed at the Orleans Resort (moderate) for 7 days/6 nights. It was completely adequate, clean rooms, with a nice board walk, pool and carriage rides if you're so inclined. It's immediately adjacent to the french quarter resort which is definitely classier looking and I wouldn't recommend it with kids. There's a cafeteria-style place to eat (very good with a lot of options) and a separate, nicer restaurant in the same area. Also, there are boats to rent for a fun/romantic little boating trip.

We bought the meal plan (the one with 1 sit-down meal, 2 quick-service and 1 snack per day). It is ABSOLUTELY the single most stress reducing thing you can possibly do. The food in the parks is expensive. Don't think you're going to be saving money paying cash unless you're planning on packing a lunch in and having McDonald's for dinner off the resort. The 2 quick-service meals are what you want while walking around the parks (burgers and fries and the like). The maps are all listed as to what meal-type it is (snack, sit-down, or quick-service). One thing I really liked is that you can use 2 of your sit-down vouchers to eat at one of the "NICE" restaurants. For example: my wife and I each used 2 sit-down meal vouchers to eat at the Yachtsman Steakhouse at downtown disney (best porter house I have ever had in my entire life). In short: get the meal plan. It's simple, saves you money, and you'll know ahead of time how much you're spending on food (you pay it upfront).

Park hopper? Ha! That's such a ripoff. Unless you go to Disney a lot and you're quickly bored of it, you can barely see an entire park in one day, much less see enough of 2 to makeup for the extra cost. There are some Disney "documentary" videos online that you should watch. Lots of little "secrets" that I wish I had known about before I went last time.

I wouldn't say there is anything to avoid... Are you traveling with kids? Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are a kid's paradise. Epcot is GREAT if you're there with adults/older teenagers, but mostly boring for younger kids. My wife and I loved Epcot, but had a 1.5 year-old with us. Downtown Disney is lots of food (all on the meal plan... or cash of course) and shopping.

Things to definitely see: Pirates of the Carribean (my absolute favorite) and the Safari ride at Animal Kingdom (you're in an actual truck riding through their safari... of course my son fell asleep during this and was what he was most excited about).

You've got it right about the rooms. If you're a millionaire, it'd be cool for giraffes to come up to your window in the morning, but if you're not using gold foil toilet paper, save your money and stick with moderate (or cheaper).

Time of the year is also pretty important. You can save a considerable amount going in the off-season (think: when kids are in school). We went in March and they had some discount where we ended up paying $1800 or so for the entire stay, with food, got a $250 gift card, some souvenirs, and some insane memories. We had planned on going again this Christmas (IT IS SOOOOO WORTH IT) and the same basic plan was going to cost $1k more because of the time of year. If you're wanting to go around Christmas, make sure you hit Magic Kingdom on Christmas. It's truly amazing. There's also New Year's which has a huge celebration at Magic Kingdom.

My only other recommendations is to bring extra spending money! Then DO things with it. For us, I made the rule that we weren't buying any "souvenirs" until the last day or two so that we weren't going to want to do something, but not be able to afford it because we bought a photo album or something.

We drove from Pensacola when we went. It's a long drive and gas isn't cheap. Check on airline tickets to Orlando. Once you get there, there should be a free shuttle from the airport to your hotel, then they'll take you to all the resorts from your hotel.

Take lots of pictures and enjoy yourself. There's a lot of people and it can be very stressful, but remember everyone is there to have fun. Expensive, but very, very good vacation.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    O, my son will be 7 or 8 when we go (If we go next summer) and since the wife is a teacher and kid is in school, it has to be summer. Probably june. I have no problem driving, its what 11 hours? The reason we may not go and wait another year is we are doing a 3500 mile trip for easter and it will depend on how much that trip costs me.
    Definately staying at disney.
    also want to go do this while in the area: http://www.flyboardrentalsoforlando.com/

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    O, my son will be 7 or 8 when we go (If we go next summer) and since the wife is a teacher and kid is in school, it has to be summer. Probably june. I have no problem driving, its what 11 hours? The reason we may not go and wait another year is we are doing a 3500 mile trip for easter and it will depend on how much that trip costs me.
    also want to go do this while in the area: http://www.flyboardrentalsoforlando.com/

It was 10-12 hours from Pensacola. I didn't mind driving either, but it may not be worth the extra wear on your car and flying may be cheaper (definitely faster). Disney does such a good job ensuring you don't need a car when you get there that if it's the same or cheaper to fly, I recommend it. Also, one thing I definitely want to do next time is hit Universal Studios so I can see the Harry Potter village. :D I'm a dork, so sue me.

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I am going mardi gras week.

I am definitely going to harry potter village. (I guess Im a dork as well)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Maybe consider going around mardi gras? Ive heard Its usually just people from around here and such there, and usually kids and teachers are off around that time

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Here is a list I made last time I was there. Some things are just tongue-in-cheek.

Disney do's & don'ts:

Do vacation club right when you get there. Have them pick you up at your convenience and drop you off at a specific place/time. You have a reservation and absolutely HAVE to be there on time. They can get you where you want to go fast. Tell them you have to leave there at a time that prevents them from keeping you there more than an hour. Bring as many people/kids as you can with you and you'll all get fastpasses if you tell them they are all your kids. Adoption is wonderful.

Rent a "dream" scooter to share. $40/day, delivered / picked up free, and well worth it! Your legs won't hurt, you can bring the equivilent of $50/person in snacks & food into the parks ( fill a colapseable or small cooler with ice and drinks at your resort every morning ) ( have a weatherproof bag with cable lock for ponchos, jackets, etc ), cut to the front of every line, park it closer than the strollers can park. Basically do what every other person really wants to do!
    Find a comfortable, portable and very lightweight stool. Can be carried on the scooter.

Rent points from a DVC member.

Avoid the parks on weekends. There are plenty of other things to do.

Bring lightweight ponchos that roll up into their hoods and strap to your belt, if there is a chance of rain.

Get a "I'm celebrating my birthday/anniversary" sticker or pin for every person in your party when you get there. You'll find out why pretty quickly.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Here is a list I made last time I was there. Some things are just tongue-in-cheek.

Disney do's & don'ts:

Do vacation club right when you get there. Have them pick you up at your convenience and drop you off at a specific place/time. You have a reservation and absolutely HAVE to be there on time. They can get you where you want to go fast. Tell them you have to leave there at a time that prevents them from keeping you there more than an hour. Bring as many people/kids as you can with you and you'll all get fastpasses if you tell them they are all your kids. Adoption is wonderful.

Rent a "dream" scooter to share. $40/day, delivered / picked up free, and well worth it! Your legs won't hurt, you can bring the equivilent of $50/person in snacks & food into the parks ( fill a colapseable or small cooler with ice and drinks at your resort every morning ) ( have a weatherproof bag with cable lock for ponchos, jackets, etc ), cut to the front of every line, park it closer than the strollers can park. Basically do what every other person really wants to do!
    Find a comfortable, portable and very lightweight stool. Can be carried on the scooter.

Rent points from a DVC member.

Avoid the parks on weekends. There are plenty of other things to do.

Bring lightweight ponchos that roll up into their hoods and strap to your belt, if there is a chance of rain.

Get a "I'm celebrating my birthday/anniversary" sticker or pin for every person in your party when you get there. You'll find out why pretty quickly.

Theres the good info!!!! Actually heard a couple of those before.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Maybe consider going around mardi gras? Ive heard Its usually just people from around here and such there, and usually kids and teachers are off around that time

Oh gosh, yeah! Louisiana license plates everywhere! If you are trying to "get away" and be anonymous, you may not achieve that goal.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is our favorite time.

Best weather!!!
    Christmas decorations. Beautiful!!!
    Christmas events. Fun!!!

We homeschool so we can go anytime we want and we choose this time.

PS. Don't tell anyone.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

ONLY! Only, only, only if you don't time it with President's Day. New York, Michigan and a couple others gets midwinter break that week. Guess what happened during Mardi Gras 2012. I have spent roughly 150 days total in the parks, multiple Christmas mornings, and Thanksgiving weeks. I've also been in mid Sept. I've seen slam packed. I've seen deserted. Last Mardi Gras was nearing full capacity.

in 2010, annual pass, 29 days. Pop Century is a good hotel for the $ iirc. Love the Park Hopper. If you're in Epcot all day, MK is open till 2am, then you can close Epcot, scoot over to the MK.

We travel in a fifth wheel. It's a resort but Fort Wilderness is one of our favorite places on earth. I'm not, but Spec is a fort fiend. The fiends are serious about their camping with Mickey. :)

We have reservations for Mardi Gras 2013. ;)

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I've stayed on and off Disney property and for my money, I won't ever stay off-site again. There are a lot of different levels of resorts so you should be able to find one that fits the budget. Besides having access to the parks before and after anyone not staying at a Disney property, the cleanliness of the properties and free transportation was worth the difference. You catch the bus or monorail right at the resort lobby and they run all over, all day. you can go between parks as well. We were there one time, right after the first Toy Story came out, and there was a ride at The Magic Kingdom based on the story of the Buzz Lightyear toy. It was a kiddie ride where two people went through in a little car through the dark and shot lasers at fluorescent targets lit up with black lights. We waited in line about 40 minutes to ride it the first day. We got up early the next morning and went to the park an hour before the general public was let in. Of course, my son insisted we make a beeline back to the Buzz ride. I think we rode that ride about 20 times just getting off, running around and jumping back on. IMO, we got our money's worth.

Agree with the above. On site was awesome IMO. I loved it....it was just easy. No driving required.

sealthedeal

charliepapa jr.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    We were there one time, right after the first Toy Story came out, and there was a ride at The Magic Kingdom based on the story of the Buzz Lightyear toy. It was a kiddie ride where two people went through in a little car through the dark and shot lasers at fluorescent targets lit up with black lights. We waited in line about 40 minutes to ride it the first day. We got up early the next morning and went to the park an hour before the general public was let in. Of course, my son insisted we make a beeline back to the Buzz ride. I think we rode that ride about 20 times just getting off, running around and jumping back on. IMO, we got our money's worth.

One of my utmost favorite childhood memories... we took that toy story ride for all it had:chuckles:

Top Bottom