Do Traffic Cops "go on break"?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have seen them do it both ways. Most locals just let the radar run. LSP will actually use I/O. Either way, I should have picked up his I/O's from a mile away or so, so he I/O'ed noone as far as I can determine for a good bit. I went by at the limit or 5 under, IIRC.

What is this I/O you speak of?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Ahh. Well, I've stopped several individuals who said I was lying because their valentine 1 didn't pick up my radar (stalker dual) so I obviously didn't have it on. Several have said that in open court. Oh well, stupid argument in my opinion.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Ahh. Well, I've stopped several individuals who said I was lying because their valentine 1 didn't pick up my radar (stalker dual) so I obviously didn't have it on. Several have said that in open court. Oh well, stupid argument in my opinion.

I agree, lame argument. You win...you win. That's how the game is played. You get your tools, I get mine. Apparently your tools did the job better. +1 for you!

Anyway, yeah, I have not tested the response time of my V1, but most cars running Stalker around here just leave it blaring front and rear and I see them from miles away. Then there are the one's (like you) who do it "right". Probably have caught a few who had the radio up loud, didn't pay attention, and you already had them before they noticed their V1 chirping.

I think the cops who leave their stuff on are just figuring that enough people are "running blind" that it won't matter the few that "get away" because they had advanced warning. Technically I guess they are right.

Still, I'm surprised you nailed people and their V1 didn't come on AT ALL. Stalkers send out a TON of radiowaves in my experience. Sometimes V1's will malfunction though, due to heat, and won't pick up Ka. If you run it stuck to the dash on a hot day with no AC vent on it and no tint-strip, that's VERY likely, actually. Once the unit hits 120*F, it can glitch. I would be curious to know if you got 'em in the summer or winter?

Come to think of it, maybe the car that I saw was I/O'ing or QT'ing everybody and was REALLY good at it/on the ball, and since I have POP turned off, I didn't catch it. You aren't talking about POP, are you? POP only tickets aren't legal as far as I understand it.

ETA; Stalkers work on 35.5, IIRC, and I have heard of some people complaining about 35.5 being harder to detect, so any reduction in sensitivity would likely affect this the most.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have even heard of a case in court when an individual claimed that an officer destroyed his (property) radar detector by leaving his radar on and pointing at his vehicle. It was pretty funny.

Side note, stalker radars cannot run rear and front antennas at the same time.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I had a violator remove his detector from his vehicle and throw it in the bayou. Said he got more tickets with it than he did before he had it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Awww, Bill, you're just starting to sound bitter, now. I bet you were a lot more fun before you retired and just sat home all day getting steamed up about minorities and younger people on internet forums. Go relax and have you something to drink. :bigok:

The word is envy...if I could go back and have the start you have I'd make a good run of it. W/O the bitchin.

But hey, didn't mean to interrupt your pity party....not only is the worse state you have ever experienced, with the worst sorriest people and ugliest women...now the cops can't even run radar to suit you :bigok:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Seems like a lot of money to invest in order to just break the law. :dunno:

I'll stick with my cruise button.

Yeah... the last time I ran a radar detector I was the last car in a caravan of 3 heading to Florida, and I got a ticket. I drive over 500 miles a week and the only time I seem to get ticketed is when I'm following others on vacation.

Luckily this last trip we made that way was with vehicles that get horrible gas mileage past 70mph... so I didn't have to worry about keeping up.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The word is envy...if I could go back and have the start you have I'd make a good run of it. W/O the bitchin.

But hey, didn't mean to interrupt your pity party....not only is the worse state you have ever experienced, with the worst sorriest people and ugliest women...now the cops can't even run radar to suit you :bigok:

I think that's something honest, there, Yrdawg. You're pissed because you see someone with a career, their health, and at a "young" age who isn't happy, and you think that if you were me, you would have the time of your life.

Well with what you know at 62, maybe you would.

I think you have mistaken my dislike for whining. I don't like it--I'm moving--sometimes I bitch about it. I have detailed why I am "still here" several times. I see how you go on and on about some things that we know you don't like, but I don't think I would call that whining. Whining is when you: Want someone to do something, aren't doing something yourself. I want neither, and am handling it. :thumbsup:

There are some positives: Noone bothers me here, it's cheap as hell to live here, and pay is great.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have even heard of a case in court when an individual claimed that an officer destroyed his (property) radar detector by leaving his radar on and pointing at his vehicle. It was pretty funny.

I did not know that. I don't know what I have passed, but they hit me just as hard before I got to them as after. I do know I have seen Stalker units in a lot of police cars around here, though.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I think that's something honest, there, Yrdawg. You're pissed because you see someone with a career, their health, and at a "young" age who isn't happy, and you think that if you were me, you would have the time of your life.

Well with what you know at 62, maybe you would.

I think you have mistaken my dislike for whining. I don't like it--I'm moving--sometimes I bitch about it. I have detailed why I am "still here" several times. I see how you go on and on about some things that we know you don't like, but I don't think I would call that whining. Whining is when you: Want someone to do something, aren't doing something yourself. I want neither, and am handling it. :thumbsup:

There are some positives: Noone bothers me here, it's cheap as hell to live here, and pay is great.

Thank you for a perfectly thought out and worded response.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Several years ago we owned a business in Walker, and had been experiencing some problems with some of the shop equipment. One morning my wife asked me to go by the shop and check things before going on to my job, so I drove into the shopping center parking lot about 5 AM. A local sheriff's car was parked in the lot, almost directly in front of our store. After checking the shop I rolled right by it, close enough to see the officer was obviously sound asleep. I started to toot my horn and say good morning, then decided that would not be a good thing to do -- might get shot(!)

When I was in running shape, my morning routine was 5 miles at 5am. I lived in Lafayette, close enough to River Ranch to use it as a running track. One morning several years ago when the monster houses in the very back were still under construction, I ran up on a Lafayette PD unit back there, sitting still with the engine running, driver's window down and an officer inside sound asleep. At first I feared the worst and stopped, but his snoring told me he was OK and I kept going. I couldn't believe he had put himself in danger like that.

Would it be wrong to walk up to his unit, knock on his window and ask, "hey, are my tax dollars paying you to nap on the job!?" :eek5:

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La

Back in the early 80's we had an old Kustom unit with the antenna that mounted outside the window on an arm. If you "borrowed" someones radar detector to run the serial number,plugged it in, and held it right by the antenna, it would smoke the guts. Looking back, I wonder what that thing was doing to me.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Would it be wrong to walk up to his unit, knock on his window and ask, "hey, are my tax dollars paying you to nap on the job!?" :eek5:

Nah, Nothing wrong with that at all. Matter of fact I suggest you ride around tonight and find one sleeping and do it. Apparently you will more than likely find them banging a local "holster sniffing badge bunny" more easily cause that seems to be running rampant with the local PD's. :)

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

But that doesn't mean a unit can't have dual systems... I think there's a few locals around here with dual radars in one unit; one EBRSO SUV emitted two separate simultaneous Ka signatures, one to the front and one to the rear.

The beauty of Ka is that I can hear it from a few miles out, even pops.

Top Bottom