Do you check to see if your new used gun is stolen?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    This thread
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-when-asked...arrested...well-there-you-go...
    got me thinking. When you buy a used gun, do you go check it with the local police to see if it's stolen or so you just assume it isn't? Especially if you're buying from someone you don't personally know. I'm not getting into the above referenced story of whether the guy was an idiot or right or wrong, I'm curious to know would you feel comfortable OCing a used weapon you bought from an unknown to you person?

So, do you have your newly purchased new-to-you used guns checked with the cops to verify they aren't "hot" as the kids uses to say.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No, but every used or new from an individual gun I've bought in the last couple of years has been from a LEO, with the exception of Bayoushooter staff.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I only tend to buy used guns from trusted people. If I ever came upon a deal I had to take from a random person, I likely would check.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Honestly, I tend to avoid used firearms (other than those from family). Not that I think there's anything wrong with buying used (there isn't, obviously)- I've just always been more inclined to buy them new. I like the idea of knowing I've put every round through them myself. :D

The few I do have were GTG.

But yeah- I'd agree if you're buying from someone you don't know & have no track record to go off of, you may as well check it out.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So who could I go to, to run the SNs, that is capable and would be willing to do this?
    Anyone have an idea?
    da po-lees

A former coworker was a ex-cop in Lafayette, and he'd call a friend of his to check for him when he bought one used, and told me to let him know if I wanted to do the same. So I assume it's no big deal to check. Now if it comes back as stolen... I dunno how that proceeds.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    If its in NCIC, you ain't walking out with it. You're also in possession of a stolen firearm, (which I understand you just bought and didn't know, so not your fault) and I'm going to start asking some Very pointed questions on where you got it lol.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    glad to see the post, the other topic got me interested as well. I've purchased many at gun shows or "used" and running them never occurred to me. Going to call and double check... never hurts.

Sounds like a fantastic iphone app, run a serial through a national database of firearms reported stolen.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    As far as I know BRPD will not run a serial number unless it is part of investigation/traffic stop or whatever else. Using the system for personal use is against the rules. Or so I have been told.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    As far as I know BRPD will not run a serial number unless it is part of investigation/traffic stop or whatever else. Using the system for personal use is against the rules. Or so I have been told.

If you're concerned it might be stolen property that's an action of the police's official duties IMO. Granted, bringing 15-20 serial numbers up to the PD might not go smoothly but if you have one and a "this dude was shady" story, I would think most small town departments wouldn't have a problem checking it out. I might be wrong on that.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    contacted local office and offered to send the guys lunch on my dime if they'd run a dozen or so. told me lunch wasn't necessary and to send him a list, hell get back to me at his earliest convenience.

pretty smooth imo

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Honestly, I tend to avoid used firearms (other than those from family). Not that I think there's anything wrong with buying used (there isn't, obviously)- I've just always been more inclined to buy them new. I like the idea of knowing I've put every round through them myself. :D

The few I do have were GTG.

But yeah- I'd agree if you're buying from someone you don't know & have no track record to go off of, you may as well check it out.

You mean you would buy one from brfd557? :D Watch that guy.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think if you knew an officer that's also a gun enthusiast it might help keep you from being brushed off. I'm betting a fellow gun nut would be more likely to help return the baby to it's rightful owner if it'd been reported :P

Also, in lieu of Matt's comment about having further questions about where I got it from... just further reinforcement to either push for a bill of sale, or to thoroughly document/recall when/where/who the deal was done. Last thing I wanna do is get charged with stolen gun crimes because of some other *******.

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    I have a couple of friends with the local police dept. who are always willing to check for me. I always want to know if the weapon I'm planning to purchase is "clean" before the purchase.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My used guns tend to be clean examples of guns in the original case. I have saved thousands on 1911's alone trading/buying used.

This. And I prefer to buy from / sell to police. That's not always possible, but the vast majority of my stuff is purchased new or used from dealers.

I'm also a cheap bastard and don't buy anything unless it's a deal.

Top Bottom