does a gun range have the right to ask for you atf paperwork to shoot an nfa weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    i was at a local indoor range today to shoot my krinkov. i have shot this nfa weapon and other nfa weapons their and other ranges before but this time they made me present my atf paperwork for examination before they would allow me to shoot. this was the first time any range has asked to see atf paperwork. i always carry copies with me when i have my nfa weapons outside of my house but i thought that that would only become an issue if in the event i ran into an atf agent while out with my weapons. i thought that the only person that you are obligated to show your paperwork to was an atf agent if asked for it. maybe i'm wrong. any thoughts on the issue? i can't think of any liability that a range would have allowing someone to shoot an sbr that would not exist shooting a full size carbine.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    does a gun range have the right to ask for you atf paperwork to shoot an nfa ...

i was at a local indoor range today to shoot my krinkov. i have shot this nfa weapon and other nfa weapons their and other ranges before but this time they made me present my atf paperwork for examination before they would allow me to shoot. this was the first time any range has asked to see atf paperwork. i always carry copies with me when i have my nfa weapons outside of my house but i thought that that would only become an issue if in the event i ran into an atf agent while out with my weapons. i thought that the only person that you are obligated to show your paperwork to was an atf agent if asked for it. maybe i'm wrong. any thoughts on the issue? i can't think of any liability that a range would have allowing someone to shoot an sbr that would not exist shooting a full size carbine.

What range was it? They can ask you for whatever they want, and they can run you up the street for not complying.

JR1572

sph1480

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Destrehan, La
    I always wondered the same thing, if your required or not, but If its an employee of the business I wouldn't mind showing them because they actually can refuse to let you use the range for ANY reason.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Precision will ask if they don't know you. I am often asked by new employees when I show up with a silencer. A quick glance at the Form 4 results in a smile and a big welcome. Don't be offended when they ask. They are all about gun rights and are just trying to not cause more negative stories when someone is caught shooting an illegal gun.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Yes and they also have the right to boot you and/or call the police if you refuse.
    They could be held liable along with you if you're in there with an unregistered item.
    It's why you should always bring your Form 4 copies with you.
    NFA folks are among the politest and most responsible people I have met; don't change that.
    ;)

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    By the way, the police may also ask to see your paperwork.
    If you refuse, that's okay, you'll get free room and board until the courts straighten it out.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    Being a private business I'm sure they have the right to do anything.

This.

It's been debated on a number of threads and boards as to whether there is a legal requirement to have a copy of your stamp with your item. I recommend common sense. Keep a copy of your stamp(s) in every range bag you use and the case you keep your NFA item in. When it's asked for by someone who has a legitimate interest, i.e., LEO, range owner; show it and move on. It's just too easy.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Their range, their rules. It makes some sense for them to check just to make sure some dumb hick ain't trying out his gun with some illegal parts he has had in a drawer for years.

cableguy

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Precision will ask if they don't know you. I am often asked by new employees when I show up with a silencer. A quick glance at the Form 4 results in a smile and a big welcome. Don't be offended when they ask. They are all about gun rights and are just trying to not cause more negative stories when someone is caught shooting an illegal gun.

This... Especially the big smile :D

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Over the years I have tried all the tricks of keeping your forms. I tried laminating, stashing in the buttstock, putting on iPhone, etc. Like usual, simple seems to work best or me. I have an ATF envelope with all my forms and state permits for every NFA item I own. I just make sure I have that envelope before I go shooting. Funny thing is, only people I have shown them to is range owners and curious gun people. Never been questioned by LEO.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Keep a copy on your phone and someway to can access it online, cloud, in an email account, something.

Now that is something I never thought of.
    Online storage services to keep your forms in case you need them.
    Sounds like a perfect backup to the physical copies I keep with me.

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    ok cool, thanks for the many responses. i'm not bitching about being asked. i was just wondering what is the limits of who and when you could be asked. no doubt though if you don't comply with the range they have the right to refuse you access.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

Seems as if Precision asked me for a photo id when I would go there to shoot, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom