Does anyone fly fish?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I haven't in years and I just got a new rig. I get bored with regular fishing, but I don't at all with Fly fishing because it's so busy and interactive. I've always caught a LOT more fish when fly fishing as well, significantly more. I'm just better at it.

Do you know of where I can get a good fly tying outfit for cheap?

Where do you fly fish?

I'm going to try it from my fishing kayak soon enough.

Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    Getting ready to start fly fishing SaltWater for Reds and Trout. Something new and should be a kick. Have to figure out what leaders and flies to use.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana

Thanks!

Getting ready to start fly fishing SaltWater for Reds and Trout. Something new and should be a kick. Have to figure out what leaders and flies to use.

Yeah I need to learn all of that too...Marshes + Kayak + Fly fishing = surely a good time...

I wouldn't mind having a little motorboat, but the yak will work for now lol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Eventually I am going to make it out fishing this year, doubt it will be fly fishing though. Having to get a non-resident fishing license is expensive, and a pain in the ass. Once I make it back down to South Carolina though, I will have to dig up my fly pole and gear for sure. There are tons of lakes and rivers filled to the top with trout and bass.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There's a guy in Folsom that teaches flyfishing. I have his webpage bookmarked at work... I'll try to post it tomorrow.

I've always wanted to learn to flyfish...

Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    I began fly fishing this last spring. I have only gone about 4 or 5 times, but I caught on within the first 15 minutes. Granted, Im not an expert, but I get the job done, and its a blast.

My father has a small sized pond I went to to learn. Can catch bass there, and I have caught a few. Bascially I will fly fish anywhere that has enough clearance for me to cast.

I know there is suppose to be ideal ways and places to fly fish, and your suppose to only go for certain fish, but I hav had alot of fun trying different things and if I can wet my line, I give it a try.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Used to fly fish only if 2 people were in the boat. 3 people fishing in a 15ft bass boast does not make for good fly fishing conditions.

Manimal I have to say I'm jealous. I've been wanting to give kayak fishing a try. Especially launching at Tickfaw State park and paddling out into the river to fish there.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Don't be too jealous, it's a 14ft kayak that I can hardly lift & load on to my truck or SUV so I hardly ever use it. I would really like to get a smaller one since I'm only 150lbs. My friends dad passed away, he was about 6'0 300lbs, and my friend was never going to use it so i took it off his hands. It was meant for a much larger man than me.

craftkr

Carpe Diem
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2007
    Rockport, Texas
    I grew up fly fishing allot around Lake Charles on the Calcasieu and the West Fork of the Calcasieu. I am about to buy me a new rig and start around the house here on the Amite. It's not hard, and easy to pick up. Very productive method of fishing too!

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Manimal, I do a good bit of kayak fishing. Let me know when you want to go and i'll show you some spots. Otherwise, since you're in BR, I'd hit the LSU lakes, or drive down hwy1 and throw that barge of yours into the first marsh that looks "fishy"

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Don't be too jealous, it's a 14ft kayak that I can hardly lift & load on to my truck or SUV so I hardly ever use it. I would really like to get a smaller one since I'm only 150lbs. My friends dad passed away, he was about 6'0 300lbs, and my friend was never going to use it so i took it off his hands. It was meant for a much larger man than me.

Well if you hardly use it would you let a complete stranger borrow one day? :cool:

Top Bottom