Door Holster

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Not sure what exactly to call it and the "search" function brings up loads of posts that have the word "holster" in them but finding one with "door" also (if one exists) was near futile.

So ..... Let me ask here if there is a good holster for attaching to a door (I guess a regular one could be adapted) for those times when you answer the door and are wanting some hardware close at hand.

Reason: Some guy knocked on my door the other day. Soliciting political candidates door-to-door but it could have been otherwise. I opened the door (I had seen his vehicle with the candidate's name on it outside) and kept my hand behind the door on the knob to make it look like I might be holding something. Silly move, I guess, but I just wanted to look more prepared than I really was.

So a holster on back the door for just this purpose crossed my mind and I thought I'd check here to get some ideas.

Thanks to all who have some info to provide!

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Only thing that comes to my mind would be utilizing Crossbreed's "Ohai" holster.

You still need to consider carrying on your person as an alternative to "what if".

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Why not a gun on your hip ???????

There are complications. Carrying would be a little impractical due to my mode of transportation and I really don't feel a need to be carrying 24/7. (Just did a loooong thread in "CCW" about just that issue.) I was thinking of having it handy when needed but not toting it all over the house. Yeah, I know that might be the answer but I am not really ready for it. Having something attached to the door where it is accessible but not visible (to scare Girl Scouts selling cookies and Jehovah's Witnesses and such needlessly...) seemed like a good compromise. Make sense?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Reason: Some guy knocked on my door the other day. Soliciting political candidates door-to-door but it could have been otherwise.

You don't get many visitors, do you? :rofl:

You should be able to easily screw just about any kydex holster to the door, or use a magnet like Vsotok said.

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    When I get up in the Morning and get dressed the Gun Belt goes on just like another piece of clothing. I OC everywhere I go, and most of the time I’m on the scooter. Now if I don’t have my gun belt on and someone knocks on the door I just get my pistol and stick it in my belt.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Why not a gun on your hip ???????

This. Or even in your hand. You mentioned that you had your hand hidden on the door knob so that it looks like you're holding something. Well, why not hold your gun? If its someone you want to do business with or someone you want to invite in, then just excuse yourself for one second while you secure your weapon.

matholley

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Denham Springs
    You could always look into the concealed weapons cases. They make a picture frame that conceals a weapon. Or, you could get a cheap Uncle Mike's holster and place Velcro on the backside of it and the other piece of Velcro on the door.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Our neighborhood has a "No Soliciting" sign. Amazingly, since it was put up, it's worked. Now if someone comes up to the door that I don't recognize, I just don't answer it.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Rob...no offense but man you're still not getting it. Why in the world would you think the front door is the only point at which a threat may materialize? Do you think bad guys read Emily Post? As many posters tried to get you to understand in the other thread, put the gun on your body. But just to beat the dead horse, what are you going to do when you need your gun at the back of the house/in the garage/in the back yard/etc and the damned thing is hanging on your front door like a singing bass plaque?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NOT to mention that IF the BG's break in using your front door which is ideal scenario they will have first hand access to your own gun while you are in the back bedroom taking a shower ............

My gun STAYS on me at all times, plus I have my other long guns ready to roll in my room which is the designated safe room of my house

The only exception to this is when I indeed shower, then I still keep a gun in the bathroom on the cabinet on top of the toilet

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Rob...no offense but man you're still not getting it. Why in the world would you think the front door is the only point at which a threat may materialize? Do you think bad guys read Emily Post? As many posters tried to get you to understand in the other thread, put the gun on your body. But just to beat the dead horse, what are you going to do when you need your gun at the back of the house/in the garage/in the back yard/etc and the damned thing is hanging on your front door like a singing bass plaque?

No, believe me, I do get it. I just don't feel the need to be armed (on body) all day. The desk holster or a cheap holster screwed to the door is an idea. Thanks. I have a gun in the bedroom and another around the house. I only open the front door, hence the door holster. It's the only outside opening besides the automatic garage door. I rarely go in the backyard (no reason to) and all packages, etc. go thru the front door.

I go into the garage and get in the van, then exit. I don't "entertain" visitors from the garage. And guns are accessible around the home. Not in the bathroom but accessible, otherwise.

I'm gonna look into a CCW class and maybe pickup a Glock G26 for this purpose. I'd imagine the instructor could advise me in this matter. AND ..... they might also successfully change my perspective on carrying at home, etc.

Yes, I promise, there's hope for me yet! :D Thanks to all who responded and keep trying to pull me kicking and screaming into the carry world. :)

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I highly reccomend you take a Force on Force class, its an eye opener and it will make you understand WHY some of us are this paranoid about our safety

Is that readily available? I've been fighting my innate, genetic sense of procrastination to take a CCW course. This "Force on Force" sounds interesting. Where does one acquire it or is it a variation on the standard CCW course instruction? Thanks.

Top Bottom