Dot Pattern on bottom of Glock barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    comparison.jpg

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I dont know...

determining guilt solely through something that is machined the exact same way through the same exact process on a production line is a scary thought...

The point is, it's NOT machined the "exact same way", not at the microscopic level.

While there is machining in the aero space industry that can ALMOST be completely identical, for firearms and tools, not even close. Interchangeable? Yes. EXACT same? No. Totally different standards.

Just saying.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    There are "other" bar codes on that gun if you care enough to find them

IIRC there should also be one in the back side of the magwell on the internal side of the frame, all the DOTS should be the same as a "match", this allows to identify the frame even after the serial number up front has been removed or scratched off.

Pretty cool.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    And you'll still get caught...;)

Serious question time. And before anyone laughs- you know damn well you've heard at least one person say this in one form or another...:nono: :D

How advanced (without going into any intimate details, of course) is this type of technology when it comes to scatterguns- or is it even possible to somehow make a similar connection with a smoothbore (even in the case of say....a slug fired from a non-slug barrel)?

I consider myself a gun guy and understand all the basics (more or less:))- but I wouldn't mind hearing once & for all from someone in the know to at least dismiss some of the scuttlebutt regarding this.....

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I seem to remember this odd-looking dot matrix arrangement visible within the frame on some Gen 3 pistols that I had detail-stripped to clean/service.

Yep, seen a few there myself-- I'm assuming on the very newest iterations of that Generation.

You M&P owners probably have one on your frame as well, just forward of the locking block IIRC. They were only made without them for a couple of years, so it's much more likely. You've also got a series of dots on your slide, where the barrel hood contacts the inner surface when the gun is fully cycled. They exist to identify which machine turned out the slide so that if there's any problem, they can track it back to the equipment.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Let's just say, I wouldn't use one that has choke tubes... ;)

With projectiles, be it a bullet or shot cup, its always hit-or-miss on making a positive ID. Lots of factors in play.

But there are other factors which are pretty much dead-bang... and I'll leave it at that.

;) I got ya....Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom