dove tailing a bull barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello all,

I am getting the following ruger 10/22 barrel in the mail soon

http://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2

I was wondering if it is possible to dovetail the front post behind the threaded part. Basically, the same set up as a factory barrel. I have a few spare sets of factory sights, and I feel useless without open sights.

If this is possible, is there anyone around here that has a cutter or knows someone who knows how to do it? I think Jim's dovetails, but I wanted to check here first.

Thanks

djrpm

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Contact Doc Holliday here on the board.
    His buddy Blackie does excellent work. I swapped phones and lost his # or I'd give it to you

djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sent Doc Holliday a message.

I contacted the company today, since the barrel had not shipped about 1.5 weeks ago when the order was completed. They told me the barrel should reach me by friday, and I was hoping to get this done so I could bring it to the range.

Also, should the barrel be installed prior to cutting? Or should I bring it in plain? I have everything stripped down waiting for the barrel, but I just wanted to know what I could do to expedite the process.

I called Jim's today as well, they charge $45 for dovetailing fyi.

djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I forgot how much I have in mine. I bought the rifle and barrel with my tax returns last year.

I first put it together with a tactical solutions barrel and a few volquartsen parts like a new hammer, bolt and mag release, and a hogue stock. I have about half as much trigger pull now, but I wanted the steel barrel, so I bought this one.

Also, you can choose whatever thread length you want. I just wanted the open sights to be the end all of end alls on this rifle. Its basically gonna be my complete .22 package, also, the sights should work with most suppressors (I think) since they are on the bull barrel.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Sent Doc Holliday a message.

I contacted the company today, since the barrel had not shipped about 1.5 weeks ago when the order was completed. They told me the barrel should reach me by friday, and I was hoping to get this done so I could bring it to the range.

Also, should the barrel be installed prior to cutting? Or should I bring it in plain? I have everything stripped down waiting for the barrel, but I just wanted to know what I could do to expedite the process.

I called Jim's today as well, they charge $45 for dovetailing fyi.

i'm sure he'll want just the barrel.

I might be wrong but I think someone else does their (Jims) machine work

Top Bottom