Drinking with antibiotics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    Had a few brews while BBQing for the game and lemme tell ya. I feel terrible, dizzy, disoriented, red flush skin. I only had 2 beers over a 2 hour period. Who knew?

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Just minutes ago, I was contemplating a Crown & Coke when an angel reminded me that I'm taking antibiotics. I REALLY wanted that drink until I read your post.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you are taking metronidazole you shouldn't drink while on the antibiotic or 24 hours after finishing your course. Most other antibiotics you should be ok.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    This you just experienced antabuse effects...

Not correct !

And, I have some boudin for you ! Call tomorrow.

The business about antibiotics and drinking alcohol is an "old wives' tale".

Metronidazole used to have a "warning" about this; but, I never found any truth to it; to wit, I took one about 6:00pm and, am on my THIRD IRISH WHISKY (There is no "e" in Irish "Whisky" !) The Saints even won, anyway.

leVieux

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Metronidazole with alochol causes a disulfaram reaction, which causes flushing and burning sensations. Most other anti biotics are harsh on your gi tract already, and alcohol also iritates your GI but its not contra-indicated.

Alcohol and metronidazole is contra-indicated.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Not correct !

Metronidazole used to have a "warning" about this; but, I never found any truth to it; to wit, I took one about 6:00pm and, am on my THIRD IRISH WHISKY (There is no "e" in Irish "Whisky" !) The Saints even won, anyway.

leVieux
    noncompliance for the sake of it. Meh.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Not correct !

leVieux

Well well well

I have never found documentation that drinking was bad with anti's, I have challenged several pharmicist and doc's. always the same mumbo jumbo hoo hah answer. Something to do with moon phase in Borneo when heads are shrunk. Did it for years with no ill effects that I saw then. Now I try to stay away from anitbiotics and if Miller Lite hits 7 buks for a 6 x 16 I'm quittin that 2

ETA
    I have also noticed that alcohol has an effect while taking anything in the codone family :rockon:

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I've had infections that left me so weak just coming from sitting to standing I became weak and dizzy. Just from a standpoint of physiology everything is metabolized by the liver. Could loading it up with antibiotics, BBQ, and alcohol prolong the effects of alcohol?

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Well well well

I have never found documentation that drinking was bad with anti's, I have challenged several pharmicist and doc's. always the same mumbo jumbo hoo hah answer. Something to do with moon phase in Borneo when heads are shrunk. Did it for years with no ill effects that I saw then. Now I try to stay away from anitbiotics and if Miller Lite hits 7 buks for a 6 x 16 I'm quittin that 2

ETA
    I have also noticed that alcohol has an effect while taking anything in the codone family :rockon:

CORRECT !

Many older physicians didn't understand pharmacology and told this to patients, who repeated it. Similar to the deal about one's body building up resistance to antibiotics. That is either an over-simlification or a fabrication.

Over the years, I have had hundreds of people tell me that they had a "steel plate" in their head(s). Even after I show them their X-rays, with no "steel plate", they still want to argue about it !

Some old medical myths just won't go away.

Then, couple that with the FDA's requiring all reported "adverse effects" reported during medication trials to be repeated endlessly in print, whether they were "real" or not; and we have mountains of mis-information. In other words; if one gives a trial drug and 10% of folks report nausea; that is perpetuated. Never mind that the same percentage in the "control group" had this same incidence of nausea, without taking the drug.

leVieux

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    CORRECT !

Many older physicians didn't understand pharmacology and told this to patients, who repeated it. Similar to the deal about one's body building up resistance to antibiotics. That is either an over-simlification or a fabrication.

Over the years, I have had hundreds of people tell me that they have a "steel plate" in their head(s). Even after I

Isn't it the other way around? Don't the bugs become resistant to the antibiotics?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    If there are antibiotics then that must mean there are biotics. Then antibiotics must be counter manding the effects of biotics. So if beer is a biotic then the antibiotics effects of trying to counter the effects of the biotics, i.e., beer, then this could be over exerting your heart causing more blood flow, hence, the flushing.

As if I know. I just made all that up. But it sounds kinda right, don't it?

Top Bottom