duck hunters - duck i.d.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

a duck showed up in a nearby pond that i can't i.d. it has a cream colored (almost white) body, head is black with a reddish brown streak down the side of its head. anyone have any idea what kind of duck this is.

tried finding on the internet but no luck.

thanks for any input.

rp

bigpoppat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lakeview/Gentilly
    Canvasback.arp.750pix.jpg

Canvasback

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    pic is close, but not quite what it looks like. will try and get a pic (cell phone). can tell you its a small diving duck. will go under for at least a full min. before it returns to sureface.

thanks for input.

rp

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    pic is close, but not quite what it looks like. will try and get a pic (cell phone). can tell you its a small diving duck. will go under for at least a full min. before it returns to sureface.

thanks for input.

rp

Canvasback is a diving duck. A muscovy wouldn't dive. CBs are not uncommon here this time of year.

Where did you see it?

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    It's kinda funny....we get so accustomed down here to seeing widgeon, teal, mallards, pintail, black ducks, etc....you can forget that there's another entire lineage of ducks out there, many of which we seldom, if ever get to see.

Our usual winter migrants are "puddle" ducks, but occasionally, some diving ducks get away from the atlantic flyway and make an appearance here in the MS flyway.

Canvasbacks are one of the more common divers you see. I once shot a redhead in the ricefield <like 20 years ago>....Hooded Mergansers are making appearances here in greater numbers lately....

From your description, I'm going with canvasback....see if you can clock it's speed. If I remember correctly, they're the fastest flying duck out there....

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    thanks for the feed back.

able to get close today and no doubt it's a canvasback. nice looking duck. arrived with the last weather front, @ 1 week ago (?).

turns out one of the folks we play golf with, who has never duck hunted in his life knew it was a canvasback. in fact, we never knew this about the man, he collects duck decoys. has over 100 in his collection.

location; pelican point golf course (links), pond between #12 and #13 tee box.

thanks again for the feed back.

rp

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Our usual winter migrants are "puddle" ducks, but occasionally, some diving ducks get away from the atlantic flyway and make an appearance here in the MS flyway.

Canvasbacks are one of the more common divers you see. I once shot a redhead in the ricefield <like 20 years ago>....Hooded Mergansers are making appearances here in greater numbers lately....

Diving ducks aren't restricted to the Atlantic Flyway. Think of lesser scaup/dos-gris, ring-necked, c. goldeneye, and buffleheads.

Lots of ring-necked around BR.
    :squint:

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish
    This is a redhead duck, not a canvasback !
    Uh no.......... that is a male Can. A redhead has a blue bill. Trust me on this one. We shoot them all the time-quite frankly they can be a pest as you can only shoot 1 and the thought of letting a duck land in my decoys unscathed just makes me.......well it just ain't right :D

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I can catch Mucs with the hawk but these damn CB are smart now, and when my hawk touches one, they ROLL OVER. Its the damnedest thing .. drowning my hawk almost..

Top Bottom