Duck huntin'

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    :confused:is it really as fun as it is portrayed by Duckers.I've jump shot 'em a couple of times but didn't think much of it one way or another.Is it better from boat/blind?,do companions make a difference?.I have lived in Louzeeana 1/2 my life and have seen some folks loose their minds over it(especially my coon-ass in-laws!)Whats the low down?:confused:

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    What they said.

It's really the perfect combination of nature camaraderie and fun. I always go with a good group of guys and it's a blast. Hunkering down in a blind or on the levee of a pothole and watching the sunrise over the water is an amazing sight. Then when the ducks swoop down and cup up your heart starts racing before you shoulder the gun and....it's just amazing. Hell even hunts where we didn't see any ducks end up being fun because you can actually talk and shoot the sh!t with each other. Just go do it!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I grew up in New Orleans and hunted everything from songbirds to snakes. back in the day of wine and roses, I duck hunted 4 times each weekend (2 morning hunts, and then went back for 2 evening hunts), every weekend; and any day during the week I could.

It is by far the most exhilarating of all hunting experiences in that it takes planning and preparation, skill, luck, and provides all sorts of levels of excitement. You learn something every hunt about duck behavior, your mistakes in calling and decoying, your shortcomings in concealment, and a host of other variables.

Some people mistake being a good duck hunter with being lucky, or hunting in a place where ducks are so plentiful they can kill limits before the sun actually rises. Those are great to have on your side, but that's not the norm; and it's not necessarily "learning to duck hunt."

I hunted all types of conditions and terrains for ducks in Louisiana. I absolutely loved it all. Still do; though living in B.R. makes that strut to southwest Louisiana a little bit more challenging.

And if I told you how many I killed you'd know why there aren't as many today. :p

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The only thing comparable(In MY opinion) is Bow Hunting Deer.

I love me some Duck Hunting, and would choose it as #1,
    (For the comradeire, Dog Retrieving #1 aspect for me),
    drinking coffee, chewing the fat etc etc.)

...but my heart has never felt like it was going to come out my chest like it does when Bow Hunting.
    The Bow, the Arrow and the Hunter. Can you or can you not, outsmart one of the most elusive animals in the country and then once you have gotten that close,
    can you now place an arrow where it needs to be?
    Man, Bow Hunting is as close of a #2 favorite as can possibly be measured.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Duck hunting does it for me too, in N or S LA it's all a blast. Add the fact that I now have a retriever, a son that enjoys it with me and a camp to go to, and I will be choosing it as my #1 for a long time.

~Xenon

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It's my passion...but it's becoming a rich mans game.

This is true. Public land is getting ridiculous with the rules and sheer numbers of people fighting for a spot. We have to wake up at 139 and be there for 330 to get a decent spot sometimes. Private land is the way to go if you can foot the bill. Then with all the gimmicky shirts/jackets/boots/gear/ammo things get pricy quick.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Yes...and I hate to be negative but the influx of new hunters along with the "ill pay double what he pays per acre!!" is making it tough...on the verge of losing a lease because of $$$$

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I have only been a couple times but it was the best hunting experience I have ever had and or felt. I agree with getting expensive as far as the gear and guns. I have a place I can hunt but that is only every now and then. I am looking for a place to lease with some good people.

The thrill of the approach and cupping of the duck is unexplainable!!! :draw:

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    Sounds like I'm missin' somethin' good...,I went huntin' ONCE with my in-laws...,I survived,and haven't been again with those idgits(wow that was over 30 yr.s ago!)none of my kids are into it...so I guess I'll start on own....now the fun part...the roundin' up of the gear!.Actually,watchin Duck Commander show is what put the hook in me!Good vid. H-man!

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    After watching that vid Hitman I am so jacked for duck hunting season!!!! I think I could actually feel the recoil of their shotgun's in my shoulder. The smile that was growing on my face as I watched it was huge!!! :draw::noes::run::hi5::draw:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    All this talk I just had to ...

t0m7sv8u4spe9i3yk91q.jpg

tvng0kxwyo03j04j2zey.jpg

z3ty3rd3ro0owlq4ddt4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads