Dum Things Hunters Tell Me

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    We should help those who are ignorant but interested. For our sake and theirs. (Of course, there will always be those who won't be helped.)

Folks ask "Why do you keep all of those staples and staplers in your truck?" Why do you need two spotting scopes? What do you do with all those boat cushions and earplugs?

Or, "It is so hot. Why can't we drink a few of those cold beers right now?"

Help them. You may do some good or make a new friend.

leVieux

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    If somebody's interested I'll help for sure but otherwise it would be a full time job to help all the knuckleheads on the range this time of year.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    Last year someone told me they killed a deer at 200 yards with a 22 long rifle round,
    using a red dot sight.

must have been the same guy that told me the .22 was the best deer round you could get. something about a well placed shot and it would do the job plus it was smaller so there would be less meat damaged by the bullet.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Last year one of these 'once a year shooters' at Nick's put a 7mm mag round through the range roof and damned near gave one of my clients a heart attack...
    Its a dangerous time to go to the range.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    I try to stay away from public shooting ranges from around now til January. I've been swept with the muzzle of an "unloaded" hunting rifle one too many times. After one guy pointed his rifle at me three times, and me asking him not to do it again after the first time, I pointed my unloaded pistol at him. Would you believe that he got upset? It didn't happen again.
    the weekend warriors, with all their infinite wisdom, scare the snot out of me.

One great reason to be a member at Palo Alto. I have never seen any of the "once a year" shooters.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    Here's one I have heard on a couple of occasions plus my friend Bob said his neighbor told him this one too.

Paraphrase: "I don't know why (spit tobacco) but, this .30-30 (pronounced Thuty-Thuty) shoots harder than any .30-06 I have ever shot!".:doh:

????????What did he say?????Yeah, I don't know why either.

I start laughing and have no problem calling them a moron.

Be good guys.
    Al

Last edited:

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    7. I zero in for three inches high at 100 yards. (Well thats good for Dall Sheep hunting in Alaska, but it is doubtfull you will even see a deer further than 200 yards in Louisiana.)

We set all our rifles 2in high at 100 yards, but we also have 3-4 hundred yard shots on our lease.

BasinSniper

Bandolier
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    half of the time at sherburne, some of the "operators" with their AK/AR/XYZs make me just as nervous as the other inbreds that crawl out of the woodwork to come shoot.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My personal favorite: That there really aren't that many feral hogs left on Louisiana WMAs....:bowrofl:

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    "I made a SOUND shot in the bushes, but didn't find any blood"

"Texas heart shot"

And I agree with many on here about the (aint got time to waste at the range) people. Seems some show, scramble around:
    1. Hurry up and ask to shut down the line to put up a target
    2. Shoot 3 times, ask to shut down the line to go check the target
    3. Ask to shut down and go check their target
    4. Repeat #2 & #3 several times, in 5 minutes.

Sighting in a rifle at a range with other people is not a 10 minute ordeal.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I'm sure they're as plentyful in LA as in AL. I had a warden tell me to kill every one I saw, because "for every 8 born, 9 survive".

A study made by the biologists at Ft. Benning, GA came up with an interesting tidbit: If you want to maintain the hog population at its current level you must kill 70% annually. Think about that one.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    And I agree with many on here about the (aint got time to waste at the range) people. Seems some show, scramble around:
    1. Hurry up and ask to shut down the line to put up a target
    2. Shoot 3 times, ask to shut down the line to go check the target
    3. Ask to shut down and go check their target
    4. Repeat #2 & #3 several times, in 5 minutes.

Sighting in a rifle at a range with other people is not a 10 minute ordeal.

That is what is nice about having a private range. The only knuckle heads I have to put up with are the ones I invite to shoot.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Just the other night a buddy was checking out the Tru dot's on my Glock. He asked - Is it loaded? No, I replied. He pointed it at the ground, in the middle of a neighborhood, and pulls the trigger.

I never keep 1 in the chamber and I did make sure it was clear b4 I handed it to him, but I couldn't believe he just took my word for it. Scared the sh** out of me!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Just the other night a buddy was checking out the Tru dot's on my Glock. He asked - Is it loaded? No, I replied. He pointed it at the ground, in the middle of a neighborhood, and pulls the trigger.

I never keep 1 in the chamber and I did make sure it was clear b4 I handed it to him, but I couldn't believe he just took my word for it. Scared the sh** out of me!!

That's when I'd like to have just a primed piece of brass handy!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom