Duramax Tune EFI live

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    I have a 2010 Duramax all stock. Been getting **** fuel mileage and I decided its time to DPF delete and get a MPG tune. From what I understand and I can get someone to put the tune on my truck without having to buy a tuner myself. I just want to get better mileage for as cheap as possible. Who can do a tune for me???? and who wants to buy my DPF?

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    My boss just told me one of his cousins teaches at the Vo-Tech out your way. He does deletes all the time. I know he can tune Cummins. I'll ask about Duramax.

Idk what he'll charge.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    So I guess I should've opened a diesel shop instead of a Small engine and gun repair... these guys are killing it! So far I was given prices of 400$ and 869$ for only installing the tune and no wrenching from the guys I have been referred to. Maybe I should buy a tuner and advertise tune install only. After watching videos it looks like a 15 to 30 minute job of actual labor time on truck. Keep the referrals coming though.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    What kind of service have you got from your D-Max.
    We run them for company service trucks. Had a 2003 with 333k miles, naturally it had injector issues.
    Still running a 2006 with 278k and a 2014 with 130k; zero issues on these.
    Just got a 2017 3500 single rear wheel 2 w/d LTZ. Fuel mileage looks like will suck, but it's a beast.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    No experience with Chevy but,
    We had a Ford Excursion 7.3 and mileage was crappy, bought a Hypertech tunner and mileage increased.

Had friends tune with Bully Dog and burn the turbo.

YouTube is awesome.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    What kind of service have you got from your D-Max.
    We run them for company service trucks. Had a 2003 with 333k miles, naturally it had injector issues.
    Still running a 2006 with 278k and a 2014 with 130k; zero issues on these.
    Just got a 2017 3500 single rear wheel 2 w/d LTZ. Fuel mileage looks like will suck, but it's a beast.
    its 2010 bone stock, 140k, ive only had it for about 25k and so far have just done maintenance. check engine light came on about 4k ago for #6 glow plug so i actually plan on changing that tomorrow. tire pressure sensor just went out last week. been noticing fuel mileage slowly getting worse and my last oil sample came back with a little fuel in it. i dont usually make long hauls with it but took a trip to Atlanta with atv and mower on a 16ft trailer and avg 11mpg .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    No experience with Chevy but,
    We had a Ford Excursion 7.3 and mileage was crappy, bought a Hypertech tunner and mileage increased.

Had friends tune with Bully Dog and burn the turbo.

YouTube is awesome.
    i dont really feel like it needs more power for the loads i carry so hopefully ill only increase reliability by putting a tune and deleting the gubnent smog junk. cheapest mileage tuner i could find was still like 650$. i think i may have found somebody to do my tune but still gotta see if it will work out. ill let yall know how cheap i come out. my first est of complete delete with tuning was 1650$. i just cant justify that. i can buy a lot of deisel and change my oil every 3k for 1650$ lol.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Southern Diesel and Automotive.

Do NOT get Bully Dog for a DPF delete. It will not work!
    Do NOT get Superchips for a DPF delete. It will not work!
    Do NOT get Hypertech for a DPF delete. It will not work!

Ok you get the gist by now I'm sure. The reason these shops give you really high prices for DPF delete tunes is that they are not easy to come by. The power difference between a "junk" tune (the ones above and ilk) and a proper DPF delete tune is night and day...and won't burn up the turbo or pistons unnecessarily.

The average price for a Ford DPF delete tune is around $1000. GM, around $800. Dodge runs the gamut from $400 to $700.

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Southern Diesel and Automotive.

Do NOT get Bully Dog for a DPF delete. It will not work!
    Do NOT get Superchips for a DPF delete. It will not work!
    Do NOT get Hypertech for a DPF delete. It will not work!

Ok you get the gist by now I'm sure. The reason these shops give you really high prices for DPF delete tunes is that they are not easy to come by.

Please explain with detail...

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Please explain with detail...

In order to do a DPF delete, you have to program out ALL the DPF functions. None of the over the counter solutions are capable of tampering with DPF controls. If you just yank the pipe and put an el cheapo non delete tune in there, the truck runs on the assumption that A) the DPF has failed and B) that the DPF needs to be cooked for diagnostics. So what you wind up with is a system that voluntarily runs the EGTs much higher than safe to help "kick start" the DPF operations. Naturally, the turbo can't handle that. The pistons can't either. You'll usually wind up burning the tips off the turbo vanes. The way the over the counter tunes attempt to prevent this is by putting an upper limit to fueling tables to help reduce EGT, but in the process also limiting your maximum output. Custom tunes on the other hand, remove the DPF system entirely and allow maximum fuel feed. The visual difference to this is the amount of smoke leaving the tailpipe; the perceived difference is about 150HP.

I also didn't mention anything about not being able to get an inspection sticker with a cheapo tune and a DPF delete. You know, cause the check engine light will be on permanently?

Last edited:

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    In order to do a DPF delete, you have to program out ALL the DPF functions. None of the over the counter solutions are capable of tampering with DPF controls. If you just yank the pipe and put an el cheapo non delete tune in there, the truck runs on the assumption that A) the DPF has failed and B) that the DPF needs to be cooked for diagnostics. So what you wind up with is a system that voluntarily runs the EGTs much higher than safe to help "kick start" the DPF operations. Naturally, the turbo can't handle that. The pistons can't either. You'll usually wind up burning the tips off the turbo vanes. The way the over the counter tunes attempt to prevent this is by putting an upper limit to fueling tables to help reduce EGT, but in the process also limiting your maximum output. Custom tunes on the other hand, remove the DPF system entirely and allow maximum fuel feed. The visual difference to this is the amount of smoke leaving the tailpipe; the perceived difference is about 150HP.

I also didn't mention anything about not being able to get an inspection sticker with a cheapo tune and a DPF delete. You know, cause the check engine light will be on permanently?
    good info, thanks. i borrowed an autocal and im shopping tunes and learning about tunes this weekend. do they sell downloadable tunes?

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Before you spend any money on a "generic" tune, call Coys Diesel in gonzales. Talk to coy himself.

The other I would recommend is www.gotduramax.com
    He is in baton Rouge.

Both will give free knowledge before you spend money.

I spit 2 pistons out my LS on a generic tune. After more research I found the proper way to tune engines. And it's not mail order or downloaded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Before you spend any money on a "generic" tune, call Coys Diesel in gonzales. Talk to coy himself.

The other I would recommend is www.gotduramax.com
    He is in baton Rouge his name is Charles . (225) 772-8433

Both will give free knowledge before you spend money.

I spit 2 pistons out my LS on a generic tune. After more research I found the proper way to tune engines. And it's not mail order or downloaded

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    Stick with Kory Willis or even Starlight Diesel. Kory has a Duramax race truck that is over 1000hp.

They're both beta testers for EFI Live and Kory was the first to time the LML engine.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    Oh and they create their own tunes. A lot of "tuners" just modify stock tunes. Some of those people causes the failure of many 6.7 Cummins ECMs because of that.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Thanks i was referred to coy from ppei and gave them a call. the lady was kinda short but at least gave me an estimate of 400$ for tune only. originally i thought that seemed high but if this is actually a custom tune i think i will go with them after realizing a custom download tune from ati and a vin licence will cost me 350$ and i have screw with this autocal thing.

Top Bottom