duty belt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I am waiting on my official start date from St Charles Parish sheriffs office, I wasn't sure what got issued and what didn't so I was just asking to see what everyones opinion is on the different brands.

I heard from a friend that works for the department that a year to a year and a half is the average time that you spend in the jail.

Did everyone get their start in the jail? I have heard from other people that they refuse to work in the jail but want to work patrol, so is that possible?

I've never worked in a jail. I started as a patrolman for a municipal dept.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I worked in a jail for one year. I hated it. It made going to NOPD such an easy decision.

JR1572

I have been looking to get into law enforcement and had no idea how. Working in the jail forever is not what I plan on doing forever, I just needed a start somewhere. I plan on switching to patrol as soon as possible. Any tips you can give me to make the best out of it and get in patrol as soon as possible?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have been looking to get into law enforcement and had no idea how. Working in the jail forever is not what I plan on doing forever, I just needed a start somewhere. I plan on switching to patrol as soon as possible. Any tips you can give me to make the best out of it and get in patrol as soon as possible?

Go to work for a place that doesn't have a jail. Most municipal police departments don't have jails.

JR1572

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Go to work for a place that doesn't have a jail. Most municipal police departments don't have jails.

JR1572

I have been through the whole process already at St Charles. I know people that work for Jefferson parish, Kenner police department and St Charles, and from the research ive done st Charles takes about a year to a year and a half to get into patrol where as in kenner and Jefferson parish I know people that were in the jail for 2 and 3 years before they got into patrol which was why I made my decision to go to st Charles and I figured I would do my time working in the jail make the best out of it and give 110% that way I can get out as soon as possible and get into patrol.

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    if you start in patrol and by pass the jail, most places you are a golden child. working the jail will only give you more knowledge of how things really work. and the respect of been their done it. know guys that started their and love it. they will never leave . I could not wait to get out. safariland

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    if you start in patrol and by pass the jail, most places you are a golden child. working the jail will only give you more knowledge of how things really work. and the respect of been their done it. know guys that started their and love it. they will never leave . I could not wait to get out. safariland

Only if you choose to work for a sheriffs office. Plenty of places start cops on the road.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Only if you choose to work for a sheriffs office. Plenty of places start cops on the road.

Yep I started (and still am) as patrol. In My dept, most everyone starts as reserve and when a position opens up the reserves get a shot at it before outside recruitment. That's how I moved to part time. Beats the hell out of waiting tables through college lol.

That being said, training is on the small to nonexistent side for "most" small town PD's. I have to make an effort Outside of work (mostly on my own dime) to get trained to some level of competence.

As for what I carry, the Bianchi PatrolTek stuff is cheap, fairly comfortable, nylon (easy to clean), and holds up well so far (8-9 months of weekly use) so I like it.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA

thats how i feel im not thrilled about having to work in the jail but im going to do it and give it my all but i cant wait to get out and get on the road in patrol. which hopefully wont take too long.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Yep I started (and still am) as patrol. In My dept, most everyone starts as reserve and when a position opens up the reserves get a shot at it before outside recruitment. That's how I moved to part time. Beats the hell out of waiting tables through college lol.

That being said, training is on the small to nonexistent side for "most" small town PD's. I have to make an effort Outside of work (mostly on my own dime) to get trained to some level of competence.

As for what I carry, the Bianchi PatrolTek stuff is cheap, fairly comfortable, nylon (easy to clean), and holds up well so far (8-9 months of weekly use) so I like it.

thats not a bad idea. i was going to be a reserve but i wasnt 21 at the time i applied, so i applied for corrections and got an interview the next week. so im giving corrections a shot and hopefully get in patrol shortly.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I hate this belt. I need to get a different style. Dont like the two clips with velcro thing. Also mostly safariland stuff. And Hiatt cuffs. I had to buy my own stuff.

photo.jpg

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I hate this belt. I need to get a different style. Dont like the two clips with velcro thing. Also mostly safariland stuff. And Hiatt cuffs. I had to buy my own stuff.

View attachment 36678

We had an arrogant Sergeant who thought he was such a bad ass mma fighter that he wore that style duty belt with no keepers. Nobody would dare take his belt. It made me cringe.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    thankfully they have decides to grace us with gear.

we have to buy our own cuffs and baton, so i went with what the guys who have been doing this 20+ years and are our instructors said to buy. Nothing more nothing less, i figure in this field advice like that is worth its weight in gold if not more.

i got 2 pairs of s&w cuffs chain link and the madonalock postivive lock baton, 22" i think. The stuff we trained with, nothing beats what your trained with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom