DWI questions for DA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    They put up traffic control and warning signs and once you enter you must go through the check point. If you attempt to avoid the check point you will be stopped and cited for disobeying a lawful traffic control checkpoint. You can look it up.

The last couple checkpoints that I've seen in Walker were at the old Winn Dixie. They put units at the three road leading off 447 down to I-12 so you couldn't turn off.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yes, they are. You need none. the checkpoint itself is authorized by law.

Here is the one for seatbelts:

295.4. Guidelines for seat belt and motor vehicle liability security checkpoints; law enforcement agencies

All law enforcement agencies involved in traffic enforcement shall establish guidelines for the operation of seat belt checkpoints and proof of compulsory motor vehicle liability security checkpoints. Such guidelines shall include but not be limited to the following provisions:

(1) The location, time, and duration for seat belt and compulsory motor vehicle liability security checkpoints shall be established in written form by supervisory or other administrative personnel of the law enforcement agency rather than the field officers implementing the checkpoint.

(2) Provision for advance warning to the approaching motorists with signs, flares, and other indications to warn motorists of an impending stop and to provide indication of its official nature as a police checkpoint.

(3) Provisions to ensure detention of motorists for a minimal length of time.

(4) The use of a systematic, nonrandom criteria for stopping motorists.

Acts 2003, No. 374, §1.

I've been though many seatbelt checkpoints and there have never been a sign or anything telling you of a impending stop. Why not?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been though many seatbelt checkpoints and there have never been a sign or anything telling you of a impending stop. Why not?

How in the hell do I know why not? :o

Maybe they weren't doing it right?

Maybe it wasn't technically a checkpoint.

I used to stand at nd in a busy intersection and pull people over all day for no seatbelt. that was not a checkpoint. A checkpoint is when you are randomly pulling people over to see if the have a violation. If you are at a choke point pulling people over who you see are in violation, that is not a checkpoint. :cool:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Do you think you have to immediately inform the officer at a checkpoint that you have a CCW? Even you are not in violation of anything and about to be waved through?

LMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    Acadiana
    So if I'm cutting my grass on my property a police officer can pull in my driveway and charge me with DWI ?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So if I'm cutting my grass on my property a police officer can pull in my driveway and charge me with DWI ?

Why that is ridiculous, and you probably know it, if you are doing so in a reckless manner and it is a riding lawnmower, yes he can.

How likely is that to happen, not very much. Most of the lawn mower arrests are for repeat offenders who have had their license and vehicle seized and the lawnmower is all they have.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    How in the hell do I know why not? :o

Maybe they weren't doing it right?

Maybe it wasn't technically a checkpoint.

I used to stand at nd in a busy intersection and pull people over all day for no seatbelt. that was not a checkpoint. A checkpoint is when you are randomly pulling people over to see if the have a violation. If you are at a choke point pulling people over who you see are in violation, that is not a checkpoint. :cool:

All the ones I've been in were LSP. They would stand in the middle of the road and check everybody that was coming though.

They must have been using this part of your answer. "Maybe it wasn't technically a checkpoint." So it was a check point but not a check point.

They used to be in Port Vincent almost every weekend morning on 42 when you turn off 16. My girlfriend was delivering newspapers and went though the non checkpoint one of the Troopers told her to put her seatbelt on. She did and then told him she was delivering the newspaper and she was exempt while delivering the paper. He told her there were no exemptions.
    The next weekend she had the RS printed out for him but he had found out what the law was by then.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Motor Vehicle, Aircraft, Watercraft, Vessel or OTHER means of conveyance. Other includes horses.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    All the ones I've been in were LSP. They would stand in the middle of the road and check everybody that was coming though.

They must have been using this part of your answer. "Maybe it wasn't technically a checkpoint." So it was a check point but not a check point.

They used to be in Port Vincent almost every weekend morning on 42 when you turn off 16. My girlfriend was delivering newspapers and went though the non checkpoint one of the Troopers told her to put her seatbelt on. She did and then told him she was delivering the newspaper and she was exempt while delivering the paper. He told her there were no exemptions.
    The next weekend she had the RS printed out for him but he had found out what the law was by then.

Yeah, they do this about twice a week under the tracks on Central in Jefferson. That is not a checkpoint.

Seatbelt checkpoints are stupid, because unless your head is really far up your assss, then you will see the signs and put it on. If you do not have insurance or are drunk, not a whole lot you can do about it at that point.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Motor Vehicle, Aircraft, Watercraft, Vessel or OTHER means of conveyance. Other includes horses.

Again....were they convicted. I can arrest anyone for anything, that does not mean it is illegal.

Horse will be real hard to prove. Not saying it will not happen in PPoo-dunk, but in larger areas, that will not happen. ANy defense attorny will get the PC for the "stop" ? thrown out.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Many guilty people go to court with a great attorney and walk. Not everyone who commits a crime and goes to court is convicted. You will learn that in your DWI class.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well Toby Keith said "beer for my horse's" So if the horse is drunk and the rider is not, do you get the DWI? :D

Top Bottom