East Baton Rouge C&R application

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Does anyone know if there is a special address at the East Baton Rouge SO to send the copy of the application to? Or, do you just send it to the main address for the Sheriff's Office? Thanks.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    A little story of applying for my c&r in 2005...

I live in the city limits so I sent the copy to the Police Chief's office. I got it back in the mail with a note saying it needed to go to the Sherriff's office. I then mailed it to the Sherriff's office and got it back with a note saying it needed to go to the Police Chief's office. I called the ATF (terrified I wouldn't get the license) and told them the situation. The agent I spoke to asked if I still had the copy and the notes from both offices. I answered yes. Her response was "Well, keep them around; in a file if you have a filing cabinet. You've done what you were supposed to do." Two weeks later my C&R arrived.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    That's my understanding. The copy to the CLEO is simply to give them a chance to comment on it to the ATF. ATF is probably not expecting anything from them unless they had cause. I could be out in left field on that, but that's what I read into it. Interesting that there was confusion on something like that Pale Horse. Couldn't have been the first one they'd seen before.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I dropped mine off to the Zachary Chief of Police. Never heard another word about it. The lady I gave it to looked at me like I was crazy. I dont think she knew what to do.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in the Parish . I sent mine to him with a cover letter stating that I was complying with Federal law and no action was needed on his part .

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    A little story of applying for my c&r in 2005...

I live in the city limits so I sent the copy to the Police Chief's office. I got it back in the mail with a note saying it needed to go to the Sherriff's office. I then mailed it to the Sherriff's office and got it back with a note saying it needed to go to the Police Chief's office. I called the ATF (terrified I wouldn't get the license) and told them the situation. The agent I spoke to asked if I still had the copy and the notes from both offices. I answered yes. Her response was "Well, keep them around; in a file if you have a filing cabinet. You've done what you were supposed to do." Two weeks later my C&R arrived.

Correct. The ATF requires that you notify the CLEO that you are applying for the license so he has an opportunity to check you and make a negative recommendation if he sees a reason. He is not required to take any advantage of that opportunity. I hand delivered mine to the Sheriff's secretary, got a receipt for it, and now I'm on his mailing list for every fund raiser that comes along. The conflicting notes that you got constitute both proof of notification and need for additional training for the staffs of both officers. Being in the city limits, either could have signed the proof of notification form.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I sent a copy of my C&R app off to the City Police a couple of weeks ago (not knowing any better), along with the standard cover letter letting them know that no action was needed on their part. I received the original envelope back in the mail yesterday, with a note on the front to return to sender and for me to forward on to the State Policy CCW Permit Division.

Inside of the envelope, on my application, was a stamp from the Sheriff's office saying that no records were found in my name, and it was signed by a Deputy. Looks like BRPD sent it to the Sheriff's office, they conducted the background check, and returned those results directly to me. Good thing I'm clean... ATF wouldn't know...

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I just got mine back as well from EBR Sheriff's Office with "NO RECORD AT THIS ADDRESS" stamped on the envelope in red and a handwritten message "State Police Concealed Handgun Division" next to it. There's nothing else stamped or written on any of the contents of the envelope. What does this mean? Are they referring everything to SP?

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In short, it means you win. You notified them per the ATF requirements, and they had the opportunity to respond to the ATF if they wished. Just keep all of that in your permanent file, and you will have proof you complied with the law. It will not make a bit of difference for the issue of your license.

Top Bottom