Eatel to Cox cable

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    I just switched from Eatel to Cox cable in Gonzales. I ran a speed test on my internet and this is what i'm getting. Seems like a damn good improvement over Eatel, I loved Eatel but the cost was too high, I was paying 130$ a month for cable and internet, now im paying 70$ for Digital cable with DVR and HD channels, internet running about 35mbps and home phone.

1667452260.png

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    By the way, I am in no way knocking Eatel!!! I loved their service and wanted to support a local company as long as I could. But I'm saving 60$ a month and the wife said DO IT.

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    Yea, I do know where Spanky works! Also, I work at Marathon oil refinery, I don't knock people who buy different branded gasolines... everyone needs to make a living. Hah!

BTW, Merry Christmas to everyone!

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Well, consider yourself lucky...or, maybe it's just Gonzales, but my Cox HSI SUCKS...it's slightly less stable than a relationship involving Kim Kardashian. Sure, I get good speeds at times, but if I'm having to restart my modem 3 or 4 times a day and can't even stay connected while playing a round of Battlefield 3, it's totally useless. Wanting to switch to U-Verse, but I have no idea if I can get them where I live.

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    If your modem keeps getting disconnected. Your signal may be too strong coming into your home. Try placing a 3 way splitter inline before the modem, make sure you cap the ends of the splitter with caps. Should help significantly, if not completely fix your problem.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    mine kept dropping the signal for a few months recently but seems to fixed itself. However im still not too fond of cox. We pay about 80 dollars for regular ole cable and 'net. The deals they give only last so long

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My wife works for Cox so of course we have their stuff, but mine is pretty snappy and stable. I have to reset my router every now and then but it's the old router's fault, our signal strength is great.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I just switched from Eatel to Cox cable in Gonzales. I ran a speed test on my internet and this is what i'm getting. Seems like a damn good improvement over Eatel, I loved Eatel but the cost was too high, I was paying 130$ a month for cable and internet, now im paying 70$ for Digital cable with DVR and HD channels, internet running about 35mbps and home phone.

1667452260.png

Wait until you start having to deal with customer service.

Especially when they want to come to your house and climb the pole to troubleshoot your internet when your whole subdivision has underground cable. They insist that the tech has to come out and check the telephone poles!

Anyway, here is what I'm getting with Eatel right now (somehow, I cannot ping Cox's servers) wonder why.
    1668016842.png

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    I'm just happy I'm saving some money. Good thing in Gonzales is cox has a walk-in store about 3 min from my house.

I'm supposed to be locked in to this promo price for 1 year.

Wait until you start having to deal with customer service.

Especially when they want to come to your house and climb the pole to troubleshoot your internet when your whole subdivision has underground cable. They insist that the tech has to come out and check the telephone poles!

Anyway, here is what I'm getting with Eatel right now (somehow, I cannot ping Cox's servers) wonder why.
    1668016842.png

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Don't want to sound like an Apple fan-boy, but...

I used to have constant issues with my Cox HSI, mainly having to re-boot the router. I went through three of them, various top shelf brands all recommended by the Cox guys. I even had a senior supervisor out here, and they could not find anything wrong with their gear (or mine).

Then I got an IMac desktop and their Time Machine router/back-up system. That's been a year ago, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the times it has been down; and the entire deal was down (TV too).

I have NO clue why this is. But I damn sure like it, because before it was a flaming pain in the ass.

But as was stated earlier, don't be fooled by their "deals". They do not last. We pay almost $200 a month, but have most all of the premium channels. Its a real PITA to call them for service, but when you do get somebody, it is almost always a professional encounter that sees your issue fixed.

Cox has very little competition here. That's good for them, not so hot for us. But they do seem to make an effort to keep folks happy.

I already am an apple fan boy. I have both an iMac and a Macbook Pro. Along with about 7 PC's. I do not have their router though.... Will have to look into this...
    In New Orleans the only alternative to Cox is ATT Uverse I believe. Anyone have experience with that?

Top Bottom