Ebola in Jefferson Parish (no current threat)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I know this to be fact from a hospital CEO. The smaller community hospitals do not have protocols or resources to treat Ebola as of a month ago. Maybe OLOL and the general do but the smaller one's don't

Our hospital is getting the protocols and resources in place now, as I'm sure most others are.
    But a month ago, we would have been lost.

Most likely rural and small community hospitals will never see an Ebola case, and resources spent to prepare means resources not available for something else. So what do you cut funding from to pay for Ebola preparation?
    Tough times in an already tough market.

JMHO

Sent from a stolen iPad using TapaTalk

Last edited:

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I know this to be fact from a hospital CEO. The smaller community hospitals do not have protocols or resources to treat Ebola as of a month ago. Maybe OLOL and the general do but the smaller one's don't.

This should be more concerning. When Ebola was discovered in Dallas the CDC Director came on Fox News stating, "It stops here." Referring to patient 1. Now there is a patient 2. I'm concerned when the CDC Director is proven a liar on national TV and this **** continues to spread.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health/ebola/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...-at-dallas-hospital-tests-positive-for-ebola/

I would be surprised if OLOL didnt, they're serving a big area and are very on top of their **** in general. And agree with whit, 2 cases in the US isn't worth devoting significant resources to. Quarantine and get the cdc

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    The health insurance industry is taking this threat very seriously. A joint study with a number of European countries just wrapped up a few days ago, the goal was to try to determine the cost of treating an Ebola patient. Based on the cases treated in modern hospitals outside of Africa, it was determined that the minimum cost would be $100,000 if the patient died quickly as expected and upwards of $500,000 or more if they lingered in ICU isolation for a few weeks.
    Health insurers are scrambling to re-insure against the potentially huge financial impact of Ebola and guess who will end up paying the cost. Yep, the insured....you and me. As we speak health insurance companies across America are factoring this new risk into their 2015 health insurance premiums.
    Whether you catch the virus or not you'll pay a price. Thanks to ObamaCare the cost of my health insurance will double when my policy is forced to convert to a PPACA(ObamaCare) compliant policy next year. Lord only knows what this second African threat will do to our premiums.

Everything coming out of Africa should be banned from entry to the U.S. Nothing good comes from there.
    When have you ever seen a quality product stamped "Made in Africa"?
    I didn't think so... the only thing they send us is hurricanes and AIDS.
    and now the Boogaloo Flu.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Our hospital is getting the protocols and resources in place now, as I'm sure most others are.

Most likely rural and small community hospitals will never see an Ebola case, and resources spent to prepare means resources not available for something else. So what do you cut funding from to pay for Ebola preparation?

JMHO

As of the 4th the Governer has said that hospitals HAD protocalls in place.
    I know this to be a LIE!

So I'm going to have a hard time believing any claims going forward. Particularely when I add in my experences in the military, working with FEMA, etc.

Sad.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

JMHO

Good to know community hospitals are getting ready. I was shocked when informed of this. Like I said this was a month ago. Smaller hospitals should still be ready. There is still a chance a case will show up at a community hospital.. Everyone including staff,patients, patients families, etc. will be exposed.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Shamelessly stolen from another forum:

The biggest threat to the US from this African Virus is that he still has 2 years left in office.

Everyday that he has left I wonder, when is this guy going to start acting like an American and protect American interests?

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

JMHO

This. Having a written procedure to deal with it is one thing, but is every rural hospital operating on a shoestring budget supposed to have all the PPE and meds they need, on hand, to treat every disease that they'll almost never, ever see? Let's not be ridiculous.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    While on this topic. Someone answer this.
    IF, as the CDC and all of the government talking heads claim, Ebola is not airborne, why are full Hazmat suits with respirators needed?
    This was never the case with AIDS, another body fluid only disease.

To elaborate. It's a question of semantics. While technically not airborne, it can survive in aerosolized bodily fluids. Cough, sneezes etc can leave it lingering in the air long enough to be ingested or contaminate another person. So, realistically, it can infect across air, technically it is still not considered airborne as it cannot survive outside of a bodily fluid. But jumping around claiming not air born is calming.

I read up on Ebola a long time ago (I think it was when the Tom Clancy book came out...). From what I remember it can be spread by liquid droplets if the droplets are of sufficient size (took a good bit) but wasn't classified as airborne. OTOH, there was concern that it would mutate into an airborne strain.

Yeah exactly, it's not "airborne" per-se, but it appears to spread via bodily fluids which can include blood, sweat, mucus, feces, etc., all of which can be in droplet size suspended in the air or on surfaces for long periods. If you shake hands with someone who is infected with ebola, you could very well contract it yourself.

It's not really comparable to AIDS which is actually pretty difficult to contract, pretty much requiring that you have a deep needle stick with significant quantity of high-load infected blood on it, have sex with an infected man, etc. If someone with AIDS coughs on you, forgets to wash his hands after using the restroom, etc., or even gets a little blood on your unbroken skin, you will not get HIV/AIDS.

Also with HIV, you don't necessarily die, and if you do, it typically takes a long time. Right now it looks like with ebola you are more likely than not to die from infection, especially if you catch it late, and if you die it occurs fairly rapidly.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    We had our protocol tested today.
    Patient presented to the ED with 103 fever and body aches. Patient had just returned from Dallas.
    Protocol was followed. Authorities were contacted. Patient did not meet the requirements to get Ebola test.
    Patient did test positive for the flu.
    All good.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    We had our protocol tested today.
    Patient presented to the ED with 103 fever and body aches. Patient had just returned from Dallas.
    Protocol was followed. Authorities were contacted. Patient did not meet the requirements to get Ebola test.
    Patient did test positive for the flu.
    All good.

Great to hear. :hi5:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Even still, the flu kills tens of thousands of patients each year, and we have plenty of morons dumb enough to eschew flu shots.

Very very true. But the flus mortality rate is still not 90%. It would be millions otherwise. People tend to weigh risk versus reward. I venture to say many more would take an Ebola vaccine.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I don't think I've ever gotten a flu shot.

If there was an ebola vaccine, I would get it.

As SVT mentioned, mortality rate is a whole different ball game. If I get the flu, I will recover. The people who die from the flu are the very elderly, very young, or otherwise compromised, and even then it's rare given the prevalence of the flu.

Plus there are a million strains of the flu, and the yearly vaccine is just a best guess of what you might get. No thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom