Ebola Is Airborne, University Of Minnesota CIDRAP Researchers Claim

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Good God, I'm not saying that that will happen, or that it is likely. Dismiss me as tinfoil if that suits you. But I do want the CDC to be prepared at least somewhat for a worst case scenario, and from what I've seen they aren't even close. This scenario honestly couldn't have been much easier to deal with, and they really dropped the ball. That seriously concerns me.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    it's 2 out of 316.2 million. That's amazing odds.

You are missing my point, or I am not making it clearly. That is 2 out of 70 health care workers that took care of this patient in a controlled environment. I feel that is unacceptable odds for a disease we understand. If the CDC fails at this level of the game, we have a lot to be concerned about.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    The CDC and two health care workers' lack of Bodily Substance Isolation are two different things. Protocol vs human error. If you have worked in a healthcare environment, then maybe you will understand what I am saying. If not, stop, think, and listen.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    The CDC and two health care workers' lack of Bodily Substance Isolation are two different things. Protocol vs human error. If you have worked in a healthcare environment, then maybe you will understand what I am saying. If not, stop, think, and listen.

I worked as a paramedic for 3 years, and my wife is currently an er nurse and an ICU nurse. Perhaps I'm not qualified enough, but I don't feel that the protocols were adequate enough to account for the likelihood of human error, and it seems the CDC realizes this as well as I see the new protocols coming out. Again, we know this illness, and I see no reason 2 healthcare workers had to be infected. I found their initial protocols unacceptable, and it appears to me 2 health care workers had to pay the price for that.

WHO DAT 504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011

Then what do you call the CDC allowing a nurse, known to have cared for Duncan, known to have a fever, get on a plane?
    Protocol vs. human error?

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Then what do you call the CDC allowing a nurse, known to have cared for Duncan, known to have a fever, get on a plane?
    Protocol vs. human error?

How was the CDC to know that Duncan's nurse developed a fever? Was she personally on the phone with them, or did she assume she was a little achy and warm from something she picked up in the hospital as most health care workers do quite often? The CDC is not a see all know all for each healthcare worker, individually in the US. It depends on the individual owning up to mistakes made, and symptoms or signs that they have developed in the hours, days, or weeks following interacting with a patient.

Seriously, I am not tracking this CDC knows everything about everyone's vitals and healthcare statistics on the planet earth at one given point...

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I'd be more worried about hepatitis B, as one health care worker in the US, dies, per day, on average from it.

http://www.hepb.org/hepb/statistics.htm

Okay. Soooo the sky isn't falling guys. Who wants to take a trip to Africa?

That's why you use proper needle cap procedures, etc. when dealing with Hep B patients.

You don't have to have sex with or share needles with someone with ebola to contract ebola.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    I'd be more worried about hepatitis B, as one health care worker in the US, dies, per day, on average from it.

http://www.hepb.org/hepb/statistics.htm

Okay. Soooo the sky isn't falling guys. Who wants to take a trip to Africa?

If 2 out of 70 healthcare workers that came into contact with 1 hep B patient contracted the illness while following protocols to the best of their abilities, I would also find that horribly unacceptable.

I doubt these nurses decided shoot, I left my gloves in the other room, I bet I can wipe his butt just this once. Knowing the consequences, I'm sure they were using all available equipment and following all protocols to the best of their training and equipment availability. In round 1 of a known disease, 2 out of 70 lost the game. I can't take this as lightheartedly as you.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    It's obviously Obama's fault.

Here's my plan for not contracting Ebola- don't drink diarrhea or lick somebody with Ebola. Shouldn't take much more than that, unless I am super super super super unlucky.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    If 2 out of 70 healthcare workers that came into contact with 1 hep B patient contracted the illness while following protocols to the best of their abilities, I would also find that horribly unacceptable.

I doubt these nurses decided shoot, I left my gloves in the other room, I bet I can wipe his butt just this once. Knowing the consequences, I'm sure they were using all available equipment and following all protocols to the best of their training and equipment availability. In round 1 of a known disease, 2 out of 70 lost the game. I can't take this as lightheartedly as you.

it's not the CDC's fault. Procedures are set in place and lazy people take shortcuts. I guarantee you that it is 100% avoidable if taking the proper precautions. We all know that 10% of workplace employees are amazing at what they do, 10% take shortcuts, and the rest fall in between doing a little of both. That statistic leaves plenty of room for someone to make an error and contract a disease in a workplace that is exposed to 1000s of diseases a day, hundreds of thousands a year.

It happens. It will always continue to happen. Also, equipment fails as well, respirators, masks, rubber gloves, face shields etc. They are all man made and have the potential to fail. I'm also willing to bet a large sum of people don't wash their hands following utilizing the latrine. A large sum. These same, good, levelheaded people are the same one's who blame food poisoning on what they ate the day before and pinkeye on other people rather than their personal hygiene practices.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    That's why you use proper needle cap procedures, etc. when dealing with Hep B patients.

You don't have to have sex with or share needles with someone with ebola to contract ebola.

Hepatitis is not limited to needle sticks and sex.. please do a quick search and understand human to human contact as well as eating foods prepared by hep pos employees are other means of contraction...

http://www.natap.org/1999/june/hep619299.html

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

So procedures will protect you from Hep B, but procedures is what gave 2 nurses ebola.

Hmm

Does not compute.

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    they came in direct contact with his bodily fluids and waste - on a related note, both are doing just fine. The largest factor in the first guys death was going so long without care.

Influenza related complications kill up to 50,000 americans a year and we have a thread of people saying they refuse to get a shot.

Ebola is brought from overseas and infects 2 nurses who are (as of this post) doing fine, and everyone loses their freakin minds.

Just an observation.

Influenza does not have a 70% mortality rate.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Your sarcasm has shown me the light. or perhaps you truly think the nurses were drinking his diarrhea and licking his body, or that if 70 nurses were caring for a bubonic plague victim and 2 were to fall ill that is acceptable. Either way, I'm out of this. Our opinions are too different to benefit from discussing this further.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Influenza does not have a 70% mortality rate.

That mortality rate is actually closer to 50% in third world West Africa... the mortality rate in First World United States is assumed to be 30% or less, due to our availability to medical facilities and quarantine practices. We are talking HIGHLY unlikely scenarios.

Just because Glenn Beck says your grandma has and will die from Ebola, does not mean she has and will die from Ebola.

http://www.livescience.com/48263-ebola-mortality-us-africa.html

WHO DAT 504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    Seriously, I am not tracking this CDC knows everything about everyone's vitals and healthcare statistics on the planet earth at one given point...

Well allegedly she contacted the CDC before her flight back to Dallas, told them of her condition, and was given the go-ahead to board the plane.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom