eden church road fire?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tib

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Just rode by on 190.
    From WBRZ:
    Update: The Livingston Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness says a four block area around the massive fire in Denham Springs has been evacuated.

The fire is believed to have started at Coco Resources Warehouse on Eden Church Road.

News 2 has been told it is a chemical storage site. The fire then spread to ITT Pro Services, which is located in front of the warehouse. ITT manager Howard Wright said they have evacuated their building.

Livingston Parish OEP says the four block area from the fire's origin has been evacuated. A total of 11 departments in the parish have responded to the call.

The smoke can been seen from downtown Baton Rouge. State Fire Marshal Butch Browning and OEP Director Mark Benton are on site. The Baton Rouge Fire Department is sending two pumping trucks, a ladder truck, and HAZMAT unit to assist with the fire.

Locals have called News 2 and said street traffic is bumper-to-bumper and Eden Church Road has been blocked off from Highway 190. Louisiana State Police say parents are being allowed to evacuate their children from a local day care center near the fire.

As of now, no injuries have been reported. We will update when new information as it becomes available.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It has to go through somebody's back yard. What if that somebody was you?

That's an assumption unless you're referring to eminent domain, which is a load of crap. If all property can be purchased with the the owners' consent, I see no problem. If you happen to be one of those people with a house near the interstate and the noise bothers you, tough. Life isn't fair.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    That's an assumption unless you're referring to eminent domain, which is a load of crap. If all property can be purchased with the the owners' consent, I see no problem. If you happen to be one of those people with a house near the interstate and the noise bothers you, tough. Life isn't fair.

Two of the proposals I've seen have it dissecting a piece of property I happen to own. ITS NOT FOR SALE

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I'm in one of the proposed areas on amite church rd. I'm not opposed to it but I can't support it without more info.

I just finished my new house last year. Built it on property I was raised on. I have half a lifetime of improving this property to the point it's at now. Relocation cost would not be cheap. Definatly have to be more than " fair market value". If I started over from scratch I don't have enough life time left to get wear I want to be.

armed_loaner

Guns-n-Loans
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Walker, LA

Some of us effected don't currently have our properties up for sale, because we don't want to move our children, we would be upside down in equity with the current market for housing, AND with the more conservative lending practices, couldn't get a loan that we were able to get post-Katrina. Tough just doesn't seem to cover it.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Some of us effected don't currently have our properties up for sale, because we don't want to move our children, we would be upside down in equity with the current market for housing, AND with the more conservative lending practices, couldn't get a loan that we were able to get post-Katrina. Tough just doesn't seem to cover it.

I'm referring to the houses that would have the loop "in their backyard". Only their aesthetics would be affected. That's why I said tough.

armed_loaner

Guns-n-Loans
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Actually, aesthetics are tied to property value as well, and we will lose. I am in a restricted subdivision with amenities that are part of the reason people buy here. The location away from business district areas (and subsequently higher crime areas) is another part. They have made a choice to commute so they have distance from the populated areas. If the loop goes in, it will come through the middle of our subdivision, take out many houses, our amenities, and put us near a noisy interstate that totally wrecks the reason people buy here. It may even cause change to the area to get commercial businesses near the loop. Now the reason people bought here is gone, so many will try to flee, selling property as cheap as possible, and the reason to buy here is diminished, causing lower prices to buy. You can have a mansion, but if it is in the worst neighborhood in Baton Rouge, you won't get your investment back. You will lose. Location is a huge part of the value of a home. So, no, aesthetics, is not the only thing that will be affected. Keep in mind, too, that mortgage lending rules have changed since Katrina. Anyone self-employed who has written down their taxes with expenses, as most do, may not now qualify for a loan, so they will have to rent, because the mortgage industry no longer takes stated loans. This runs much deeper for the families affected by the Loop than just pretty scenery.

Top Bottom