Edited due to e-stalking by Vanilla Gorilla

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MSU Longshot

Left Handed Hammer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    A knife guy at a gun show told me that you could own a automatic opening knife, but you cannot carry it in public unless you are law enforcement, fireman, EMT or military. Btw, it is illegal to have a concealed knife with a blade longer than 5". So a KaBar taped to my leg is out of the question..... :(

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    A knife guy at a gun show told me that you could own a automatic opening knife, but you cannot carry it in public unless you are law enforcement, fireman, EMT or military. Btw, it is illegal to have a concealed knife with a blade longer than 5". So a KaBar taped to my leg is out of the question..... :(

You generally want to start at post one and read the words before making a post.

But thanks for clearing up that whole legal length thing. :thumbsup:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Really? I enjoy just reading the title and typing down random facts...:rolleyes:

Oh thank dear baby Jesus in a toga!:noes:

For a second there I thought you thought you knew what you were talking about.

Not that I would ever second guess a 20 year old regurgitating the profound legal advice of "a knife guy at a gun show."

I mean if you are going to read the title and then post "random facts", at least make sure they are completely inaccurate and meaningless. Save the true ones for when you want to really make a statement.

Thanks for clearing that up buddy.:bravo:

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I carry a sog assisted open knife everywhere, bought it at a reputable dealer in BR, before that my benchmade was assisted, never any problems. I guess it is like any other thing, if an LE wants to he can arrrest you for a sub at subway being a lethal weapon if you beat someone with it, It's up to the judge and jury if it will stand.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Butterfly knives are the only way to go.

Failing that, any 4" folder will do, really, as long as it doesn't have an open safety on it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

Hopefully the wackos at Gator Gun Gun Show ain't preachin law now....

( See your in Sulphur )

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    A lady at the Dairy Queen told me that you can only have 2 inch toothpicks and only hickory. Or was it maple? Crap - I forgot!

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    Carring a knife in your pocket is pretty much illegal. I posted a link some where around here where some one was convicted for carring a knife with a 4 inch blade (IIRC). He told the officer it was for protection and long story short - did time (although he did have a prior). Now what if your searched and you claim it is a tool because you cut open packages all day at work - hell I don't know. Probably some will hand it back and say have a nice day and others will say turn around and put your hands behind your back.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Carring a knife in your pocket is pretty much illegal. I posted a link some where around here where some one was convicted for carring a knife with a 4 inch blade (IIRC). He told the officer it was for protection and long story short - did time (although he did have a prior). Now what if your searched and you claim it is a tool because you cut open packages all day at work - hell I don't know. Probably some will hand it back and say have a nice day and others will say turn around and put your hands behind your back.

i love posts like this....just saying.:o

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Agreed.
    1. The sellers can have them because they are dealers.
    2. Depends on the knife
    3. Not all laws are equally enforced...see jaywalking.

However, I would not advise carrying it.

The BS of this is I have had my Cold Steel long enough that I can open its 4" blade with a flick of the wrist just as fast and easy as any auto opener. Like limiting magazine capacity to 10rds..........:rolleyes:

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA

I believe that the man convicted in this instance was a convicted felon charged for cocaine possession who said he carried the knife for his "landscaping job".

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    LRS 14:95 Illegal carrying of weapon
    A. Illegal carrying of weapon is:
    (1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person

So what kind of knife is not customarily used as a dangerous weapon in Louisiana? That would be the one to have.

And how does the court split this hair? Box cutters and utility knives are customarily used to open cardboard boxes and shrink wrapping, cut sheetrock, etc.. But box cutters are also customarily used to slash people. So what's it gonna be in your pocket on the way home from the job, legal or illegal?

The "intended for probable use" clause is meaningless unless you express some intent. However, you get the ride on this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom