Egyptian kit pictures

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    how do you recommend cleaning it? ive just been wiping most of it off with a rag. its everywhere though. ive never seen so much cosmo in my life. i could probably coat 5 or 6 rifles with whats on my one kit

I have an old crawfish pot I use to boil the cosmo off. You don't need a hard boil, just hot water and let it melt off and then wipe it down. It helps to wipe a lot of the excess off with paper towels first but the hot water gets it out of the hidden areas.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have an old crawfish pot I use to boil the cosmo off. You don't need a hard boil, just hot water and let it melt off and then wipe it down. It helps to wipe a lot of the excess off with paper towels first but the hot water gets it out of the hidden areas.

What he said, just hot water and it will melt off.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    Originally Posted by bs875 View Post
    What he said, just hot water and it will melt off.

you sir, are a scholar and gentleman. thank you

damnit malibu :curse: i just ordered a couple from there too. wish we could have split shipping but oh well.....

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    egyptkit.jpg

Matching number new kit and only arabic numbers are on the front trunnion.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    Got lucky on the rear sights. My kit's in fantastic shape and all numbers match.

The only downside is the handguard--it has a crack along a lamination. If anyone plans to not use theirs, let me know! If not I'll just epoxy mine.

7980443477_ba3bcbb1be_b.jpg

7980446498_b937f20d21_b.jpg

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Man Alex yours looks great! I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for all cool markings but honestly as long as it's a great shape I'll be happy as I plan to shoot the fire outta mine.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    alex, where did you order yours from? i wonder if everyone ordered from the same place who are getting the arabic marked ones or if its just a crap shoot. i have two more coming from atlantic so im keeping my fingers crossed!

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A few notes on using hot water to clean these kits. I hope I don't need to say this but don't put any plastic parts like the grip in the pot. The sides of the pot will melt the grip. You can dip the grip briefly into the water to soften the oil/cosmo but then take it out and wipe it down. To remove some excess oil from the wood place those parts in an oven at a temperature around 200 degrees and let it sweat out the wood. Then wipe it down with paper towels. If you need to remove the wood from the gas tube (I left mine) you might want to wait until the wood/tube has heated up. The heat will loosen up the cosmoline and make it easier to get off. Those wood covers can crack so don't take it off unless you absolutely need to. Obviously wear gloves as anything coming out of an oven will be hot. To get the small parts out of the water I recommend a telescoping magnet. For larger parts you can use a pair of tongs. Use an old toothbrush to scrub off some of the gunk once it's out of the water and re-soak as needed. Be careful with these Egyptian kits as they are painted, not blued as most kits are, and the finish can be a little less durable.

Once cleaned, wipe the part down and put it into the oven with the wood to finish drying. I make a flat "dish" out of aluminum foil and put it on a cookie sheet. Then I put a few paper towels on the foil to soak up excess water and oil. Put the cleaned parts into the oven and on the paper towels as you clean them. Larger parts like the stock and bolt carrier assembly can go right on the rack. When finished, do a sweep of the pot with the magnet while there is still water in it. Do not just dump out the water until you are sure you have all of the small parts. I almost missed the disconnector spring today. Slowly pour the water out and watch to see if anything is hanging out in the bottom of the pot. Wipe down the pot with paper towels and wash if necessary. Obviously I wouldn't use a pot you also use for food. Let the parts in the oven heat for another 20 minutes or so and then turn off the oven and leave the parts in there to cool slowly to room temperature.

Top Bottom