election thoughts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I did not write this, but I believe it was well written, by someone I respect dearly.

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm not quite sure if you want my opinion on this election, but I believe that the worst thing we can do is remain silent and do nothing when we should speak up and take a stand.

This year's election is a very important one. As Americans, every time we pull the lever and cast a vote, it is an important election. Some may say that how we spend our money might tell us where our heart is, but I believe even more so, that how we cast our ballot tells our true convictions. It's just you alone in the voting booth.

This is a strange election. We haven't heard all that much about the real issues that make a difference.

To me it's time to look to the basics and foundation of America. Our building blocks truly began with our Constitution. Do you remember it's beginning?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

To me these are the real issues:

Justice
    Defense
    Welfare
    Liberty

What we hear are buzz words like 'change'. Many people across the country are deciding on who they want for President based on anger over their current or the country's current state. However, the status of our personal current state and the country's current state is often interpreted for us by those we hear. So be careful who you are listening to, and don't stop listening to those that you should. Remember that many times we listen to tv news anchors that are often in their position based on their appearance and ability to speak clearly. That doesn't make them qualified to interpret defense strategy or to solve any economic crisis.

Let's look at the issues.

Justice in our country must be given in each and every occasion. People should never be judged either good or bad on the color of their skin. I am reminded what God told us all in 1 Samuel 16: 'The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'

We should never avoid voting for someone because he is black, but we should also never vote for someone simply because he is. Either way is being racist.

Our country is uniquely setup with three branches of government of equal but separate power. Judges should judge according to the laws and the constitution already in place. Judges have no place making laws from their bench. Judges should not legislate.

I believe that many years ago, judges wanted to make abortion legal. Ultimately it was made legal by our Supreme Court saying that due to the constitutional 'right to privacy', that a mother could chose to terminate her unborn child whether or not her state determined that her child was a living human being. Whatever your opinion on when life begins, you must see that 'right to privacy' is an absurd excuse for denying states the right to choose.

Your vote for President should be for someone that understands that the constitution is concrete and does not change as viewpoints change. Laws should change as viewpoints change, but the constitution should not. If the constitution needs to change, then there is a process for that, but it is not up to Judges to change it. Judges changing laws to fit their viewpoints makes laws unnecessary. We would simply need judges and judges alone to decide everything.

Recently, Louisiana decided to make it a law that repeat child molesters that had raped a child would be eligible for the death penalty. Louisiana citizens decided the law for Louisiana. However, the Supreme Court decided to overturn this law citing that the punishment did not fit the crime. How absurd. Louisiana citizens should be able to decide what punishment it believes should fit crime inflicted upon its citizens. However, regardless of what the over four million residents of Louisiana deemed appropriate, five judges on the Supreme Court reversed the Louisiana Law. Louisiana was not trying to cut off the hand of someone caught stealing. Louisiana was not burning someone at the stake for witchcraft. Louisiana decided that repeat child molesters convicted to rape of a child would be eligible for the death penalty and five judges struck it down.

Recently, many liberal scholars have said that the constitution is a 'living document' which lends itself to change.

To me, this isn't change to 'believe in', it is change to be frightened of.

Beware of some change.

I believe that the office of the President has its highest duty as Commander in Chief of our Military.

It is crutical that we remember that we were attacted on September 11, 2001. This was a brutial attack on all that is American. It was an attack on capitalism by choosing the World Trade Center. It was an attack on the people's government by attacking Washington. It was an attack on our military by attacking the Pentagon. It was an attack on our religion by terrorists all claiming to give their life for their Muslim religion.

Since September 11, 2001, our country has been at war. Our President stood in the midst of the ashes of human flesh in New York City and proclaimed 'Never Again'.

And it has been more than seven years and it has not happened again.

Many of us that fall morning seven years ago believed that our American way of life would forever be drastically different. Many thought it would be the beginning of terrorist bombings on buses and in shopping malls. Many believed travel would never be safe again.

It has been safe, and our children feel no danger.

Actually, probably way too many adults feel no danger. Seven years have bred complacency. Perhaps some have forgotten.

But many have not.

John McCain has not. John McCain cannot. He knows what evil is. He knows what it means for someone to hate America so much that they would literally break the bones of one of us just to try to break us all. As John McCain sat in a prison camp, he lived it, and it would forever shape him.

John McCain is far from a perfect candidate, and much less of a perfect man. However, I believe John McCain will do the best job at keeping us safe (our Welfare) and the freedoms (our Liberty) we have as Americans alive and well.

Furthermore, for you that are voting for your Senator this election, I strongly urge you to consider that it is probable that Democrats may have as many as 60 Senators out of 100. With this 'super-majority', the democrats agenda will sail through Congress unchecked and undetered. Bipartisinship would die. I urge you to look at your Republican alternative. In Louisiana, John Kennedy is a fine man well qualified to lead the U.S. in these times of economic uncertainty. He also shares the importance of Justice, Defense, Welfare, and Liberty that I have already discussed.

On November 4th, I will be voting for Steve Scalise, John Kennedy, and McCain/Palin.

The future of America is at stake.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I'll be so glad when it's all over that I'll be singing "America the Beautiful" backwards while standing on my head eating a bowl of soup with a fork.

Top Bottom