Electronic ear protectors.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I need advice on electronic ear protection. I will be attending the B-Bash and I need to save what hearing I have left and God knows I don't need anymore ringing. I've been an auto tech for almost 40 years and haven't been easy on my ears.
    I've only been to Honey Island once and that awakened me to the fact that my Winchester passive muffs were pretty lame.
    What are you guys using and any tips on good suppliers is always welcome.
    Thanks

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I double up for indoor shooting and rifle shooting of the volume you'll see at the B-Bash. Plugs by default drop the dB's a lot more than the muffs, but don't protect the tiny structures in your ear from concussion damage. Putting the two together is by far the safest option, and I typically have no problems hearing around the plugs with the help of electronic muffs.

I have a set of Pro Ears that have gotten a ton of use since I bought them a year and a half ago. If you shoot for the models in the middle of the price range, you're getting the most value. I couldn't feature paying another 40% for a couple of milliseconds, and I was right. I only notice the cut out when there's several rounds being touched off at once, for an extended period of time. Otherwise, they seem to be constantly boosting ambient noise and voice-level sounds.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Peltor Com-Tac Dual Coms with Surefire EP6s underneath. If your gonna buy Sordins or Peltors and you don't need the com function just pay half as much and buy Howard Leights.

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    I use Mac's soft pillows purchased at the drug store and on top of that the Peltor electronic. I always use both. Plugs for the inner ear and the muffs for the area behind the ear. I have been shooting High Power for 14 years and working the Honey Island range for about the same time. Based on my doctors testing I have had no loss from the sport or the range.

I do the same when on the mower or any power equipment.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I use the MSA Sordin Pro-x. MUCH better quality than the Peltors I had before and the clipping circutry is second to none. They're pricy, but well worth it if you don't want to hear gun blasts but still want to hear everything else really well.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    The problem with muff alone is glasses compromise the seal. I worked in a chemical plant for 30 years really noisy place 24/7. Plugs were preferred because of having to ware safety glasses. Also muffs with speakers over plugs but mostly for radio communications.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks for the advice. You guys gave me some unknown to me brands to check out. I thought about Pro Ears and Sordins but I just bought a T1 for my Ar and couldn't justify another purchase of a few hundred dollars. Being as I don't need communication I went with the Howard Leight Sport model. They are supposed to be compact muffs to clear the buttstock. Thru Amazon less then $50.00.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I use fitted foam ear plugs now. That's the way to go for sure. But before that I used a Remington branded one from Walmart and the dillon branded ones. The Remingtons are good only if you turn off the electronic circuit. Then they are decent ear protectors. So with the electronics on, they're terrible. With them off they're mediocre.

The Dillon's cost a lot more money. As usual you get what you pay. They're excellent in every way.

Dave

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...id/21/HP1_Electronic_Hearing_Protector__Black

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The problem with muff alone is glasses compromise the seal. I worked in a chemical plant for 30 years really noisy place 24/7. Plugs were preferred because of having to ware safety glasses. Also muffs with speakers over plugs but mostly for radio communications.

This is where I learned how awesome the Sordins were. They offer a gel-type of ear surround that molds around glasses and seals better than foam. I can wear my Oakley M frames with the Sordins and they seal just fine. Battery life is measured in weeks rather than hours as well.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I love everything about the Howard Leights except their lack of longevity. And based on what I read on various forums, I'm not alone. Mine lasted about a year (many report less), but would cut out occasionally...eventually they cut out and never cut back on. Moved on to Peltor Tac Sports purchased from Larue (good price). They are not quite as thin as the Leights but close: thin is good for optimum cheek weld with long guns. The Peltors are better made but I'm disappointed that they don't have the amplification that the Leights had...I double plug and count heavily on maximum amplification. Battery life is just so-so.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Where can you get the MSA / sordin ear cups? I haven't found them readily available. Though I haven't been looking too hard.

KajunKat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Lutcher, LA
    I cheaped out and got the ryobi tek4 muffs as part of a package deal at HD. I was really surprised at how well they work and they have a rechargeable battery. on the down side they are thick and interfer with the cheek weld but are great for pistol and shotgun.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom