elliott's gunshop?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    we just moved to the area a couple months ago, and i have yet to find a decent gun shop around here (NOLA). a buddy of mine suggested elliott's, and i was wondering if anyone can give some input or, perhaps, an alternative.

thanks!

-greg t

jhh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2006
    River Ridge
    Elliots has a good selection. Service can be hit or miss depending on how busy they are - but that's pretty much universal, and at least the employees are knowledgeable about what they're selling. Prices aren't great, but are usually tolerable. I shop there.

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    well, i went in there the other day to get a copy of their ffl for a transfer, and i think it will be my last transaction with them.

another customer had had a firearm transferred in, and apparently, he had been using them for 5-6 years for transfers. when his firearm was brought from the back, the ticket on it had a double transfer fee on it since something supposedly wasn't right with the transfer paperwork. he of course was upset since he did that transfer just as he had every other transfer, and the salesman's response was something to the effect of "well that's what the ticket says." another employee steps up and vouches for the length of time the guy was a customer and received the same response. all the while, the second employee who stepped up was cussing like crazy, which i don't care a lick about as long as it's not by someone trying to run a business. somewhere in the exchange, the customer mentioned he could always go up the road to shooters club, and the second employee actually suggested he do that next time. in fact, the second employee was so angry about him being double charged, they went off in a tirade about the place was turning to **** and promptly grabbed their things and stormed out the door.

maybe it was a bad day, maybe the place is going to ****. but i think this transfer will be my last with them.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    well, i went in there the other day to get a copy of their ffl for a transfer, and i think it will be my last transaction with them.

another customer had had a firearm transferred in, and apparently, he had been using them for 5-6 years for transfers. when his firearm was brought from the back, the ticket on it had a double transfer fee on it since something supposedly wasn't right with the transfer paperwork. he of course was upset since he did that transfer just as he had every other transfer, and the salesman's response was something to the effect of "well that's what the ticket says." another employee steps up and vouches for the length of time the guy was a customer and received the same response. all the while, the second employee who stepped up was cussing like crazy, which i don't care a lick about as long as it's not by someone trying to run a business. somewhere in the exchange, the customer mentioned he could always go up the road to shooters club, and the second employee actually suggested he do that next time. in fact, the second employee was so angry about him being double charged, they went off in a tirade about the place was turning to **** and promptly grabbed their things and stormed out the door.

maybe it was a bad day, maybe the place is going to ****. but i think this transfer will be my last with them.

No, the place is crappy!

Some of their employees are good, but a few are just PITA'S.

I don't know if it is customary, but they charged my credit card before they even got approval from the background check. I was pissed! The reason why they do it is because they claim a "25% re-stocking fee" for any denied background checks. My wife was with me (at the gun show) at the time of purchase, and I warned her that if, for any reason, (not like it was going to happen) I was denied and they refused to reverse the charges to my CC, that she would be bailing me out of jail. Everything went through, but it dosent end there!

I bought from them about 3 months later, and I was denied. I have absoloutely no record, but I had to go through the appelas process and prove my innocence. What I think happened is the person calling in the info screwed something up, so I had to suffer for it. It took a little over a month to clear my name because of it and get my purchased firearm. We had words, and I left with my purchase (vindicated) and happy to know that I will never do business with them again, and will tell anyone who wants to know.
    In parting,

If you do business with them BEWARE!!!

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    Wow I cant believe they charge your credit card be4 they call the fbi. It taked 2 minutes at the most to call the fbi. It is very possible that something got screwed up when calling the fbi, I think they hire retards to to the background checks, i say 1 out of 2 time i call the fbi they misspell a name or something, that is why when they read back the info i make damn sure it is right, if not then i tell them they correct spelling, or whatever it was they messed up.

redster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2006
    gretna
    dam i was just about to go tomorrow, need some more options than just shooters...anyone know about the ace hardware up the road from elliots???

nolacop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    dam i was just about to go tomorrow, need some more options than just shooters...anyone know about the ace hardware up the road from elliots???

Baldwin-Taylor Hardware. Good people, but just no real selection of firearms or parts.

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    when i picked up my transferred firearm, i "met" the owner - not so much a meeting as a figured out who he was. he is, in fact, a decent guy from my short conversation with him. the guy who was doing my paperwork, etc., didn't really know what he was doing, so it took a little longer than usual, and i, too, had to pay my transfer fee before they called into NICS. i really don't understand that since you can't restock an intangible.

in the end, i'm still on the fence about elliotts. i will probably try puglia's for my next transfer as the one and only time i went in there the people were extremely friendly and very helpful, despite me coming in about 10 minutes before closing time.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    It's an ok place, and they're nice enough once you get to know them, but the guy who does the transfers is a royal PITA, and an absolute detail nazi. These days, I just use J&J guns for my transfers; it's a bit of a drive (on the north shore), but they are much more easy going and only charge $15.

glockthirtysix

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    Just my opinion:

PRO: (Only one...)
    I've gone to Elliot's to see what's out there because the usually have a large selection of new/used firearms. As far as I'm concerned, this is the only thing they have in their favor. When something comes out and I'd like to physically see and handle it, I'd usually check Elliott's since they probably have it.

CON: (A LOT OF THEM)
    My experience has been horrible with Elliot's. I've NEVER been delayed, nor denied in purchasing a firearm simply because I'm former LEO and I am a law-abiding citizen all my life. I was treated like a criminal the moment I walked in. Why? I don't know? I like to give most people the benefit of the doubt, but I don't judge them upon sight.
    Elliot's is notorious for hiring ONLY women and retiree's. I've seen the ad in the Times Picayune. I know they have a couple of guy's working there, but they have usually been long term and actually are the coolest people working there.
    Another point is that they do charge you for your purchase BEFORE running a NICS check!!!! Why? Just a way to say that their employee's time is valuable and they should be compensated for making a phone call? B.S.
    Also, I frequent the Shooter's Club (Jefferson Gun Outlet) and I've been in there when someone gets denied (which they don't charge for until you are approved) and remark before exiting that they are going to Elliott's because they approve everyone. This worries me. Some of the people mentioned look and act as if life is like a rap song's lyrics (I'm sure you know what I mean) and I've heard that they usually get a gun from Elliotts. This is heresay, but I trust the source. You make up your mind here.
    I completely understand that it is a busy shop due to location and word-of-mouth and this usually stresses out all those who work there, and this also brings in most of the unsavorable of character's, but NOT EVERYONE IS A CRIMINAL. Not all of us are LEO. We all aren't white or black. We all aren't green or purple for that matter. I just believe they are desensitized to all walks of life and treat everyone like we're there to steal or to buy a gun for murder. Personally, this has to change. Although I wouldn't know since I never intend to buy another gun from then, ever.

I suggest to go there if you want, hell it's still a free country, but beware. My experience may just be MY experience. They may not sell to criminals. They may actually be good people with the right idea.

Tell you what, I won't find out. I won't even go there to see the PRO from above.

Editing to add that I ONLY use The Shooters' Club and/or Baldwin Taylor.

Last edited:

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    i've always been curious as to the disposition of the case brought by bloomberg, et. al. from what i've found on the net, elliot's was one of the shops "successfully" targeted by bloomberg's crew.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Well, here's an interesting article:

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/2007/05/east_jefferson_bureau_federal.html

Federal agents this morning raided Elliot's Gun Shop in Old Jefferson, one of the busiest gun dealers in Louisiana, confiscating all its firearms, ammunition and business records and seizing the property.

"This store will never operate again," said Robert Browning, assistant special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Louisiana.

The store manager, Hermann Eicke, 65, was arrested at his home in Kenner, authorities said. Two employees, Timothy Harris Sr., 54, and Rebecca Zitzman, 42, were arrested out of state.

An ATF agent carries two fists full hand guns out of Elliott's Small Arms on Jefferson Highway Wednesday morning during a riad there.Authorities said the raid marked the culmination of a 15-month investigation by ATF and the Secret Service. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office also was on the scene of the store at 3008 Jefferson Highway at Causeway Boulevard.

The charges against the store workers involve a mix of firearms violations and identify theft related to police purchases of guns.

Police officers receive a manufacturer's discount when buying guns. Yet the store was not only getting manufacturer discounts to sell to police but also using the police customer credentials to buy extra firearms at wholesale for its regular stock, then selling those guns at regular prices to the general public, federal authorities said.

Zitzman was booked with filing false federal arms records. Eicke and Harris were booked with aggravated identity theft and misuse of law enforcement credentials.

ATF said Harris operated the store as Elliot's Small Arms until the agency revoked his federal gun dealer's license in 2005, after repeatedly citing him for violations. Eicke, who had been an employee, then took out a license and began operating the store as Elliot's Gun Shop.

A 2004 study by the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation found Elliot's one of the top dealers in the United States for selling guns later used in crimes. The study found that 120 U.S. dealers had each sold at least 200 guns linked to crimes between 1996 and 2000. Elliot's had sold 890, according to the study.

The foundation said it supports the right to own guns but advocates responsible gun laws.

Elliot's and the other stores on its list did not necessarily sell guns to people who committed firearm-related crimes. But the foundation said the volume suggested the need for more monitoring of gun dealers.

In an interview in 2004, Eicke said his was one of the busiest gun shops in Louisiana, and that the sheer volume of business made it inevitable that some guns later involved in crime would be traced back to his store. Many of the guns were stolen from his original buyers, he said.

Top Bottom