Email or call your state rep & senator

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meisal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 30, 2007
    Benton, LA
    A lot of us have now had our constituional right to conceal a weapon and protect ourselves with the stroke a pen.

When we got our Florida permits we did follow the law. Completed all the requirements necessary. We are not thieves and crooks trying to avoid the state police.

Most of us have been trained just like everyone else with Louisiana permits.
    We chose Florida because of length of permit and cost and the crazy information that Louisiana requires (been divorced? etc).

I have no problem getting a Louisiana permit - it's just the fact that one day you have your 2nd amendment rights and then without notice those rights are taken away.

This was done by apparently one state police officer who is in charge of our rights.

At the very least there should have been notice given (not through rumors) and those with Florida license should be grandfathered in.

Just my opinion

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    In on post three!

While I understand where you are coming from (I have my FL permit also), I can also understand where THEY are coming from. Granted, I think that those with FL permits should have been grandfathered in, or at least given 4-6 months to get their LA permit, you do still have the right to carry, just not concealed. This is something that I will be thinking about while I wait for my LA permit to get here. I have a class on Sun and will get my paperwork up there on Mon. That being said, again, I do understand your frustration.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    IOP1 for a change.

Actually you do NOT have a right to concealed carry. This has been discussed in depth here and you can search for it. Short version: US Constitution 2nd Amendment does not apply to the states - only applies to Federal Government; Louisiana Constitution reserves concealed carry as something to be regulated by the Legislature; you DO have the right to OC under the state Constitution.

Next.

meisal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 30, 2007
    Benton, LA
    OK you all go ahead and open carry and we'll be reading a blow by blow report of you being harassed at Walmart. :chuckles:

It would have been no big deal to give us time to convert over to a Louisiana permit.
    But then again we have the most anti-American, anti-gun government in history so who cares who a state police officer puts peolple's life at risk.
    So much for protect and serve!

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    A lot of us have now had our constituional right to conceal a weapon and protect ourselves with the stroke a pen.

When we got our Florida permits we did follow the law. Completed all the requirements necessary. We are not thieves and crooks trying to avoid the state police.

Most of us have been trained just like everyone else with Louisiana permits.
    We chose Florida because of length of permit and cost and the crazy information that Louisiana requires (been divorced? etc).

I have no problem getting a Louisiana permit - it's just the fact that one day you have your 2nd amendment rights and then without notice those rights are taken away.

This was done by apparently one state police officer who is in charge of our rights.

At the very least there should have been notice given (not through rumors) and those with Florida license should be grandfathered in.

Just my opinion

Agreed I would have still been carrying not even considering what was going on if I wouldn't of have happened across this forum.

I also would like to know who was in charge of this decision. I wouldn't mind writing him/her an email/letter.

meisal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 30, 2007
    Benton, LA
    Agreed I would have still been carrying not even considering what was going on if I wouldn't of have happened across this forum.

I also would like to know who was in charge of this decision. I wouldn't mind writing him/her an email/letter.

Email your state reps and senators. I just did and my friend already got a positive response.
    Also email the state police. concealed_handguns@dps.state.la.us
    Just don't sit and do nothing.

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Actually you do NOT have a right to concealed carry. This has been discussed in depth here and you can search for it. Short version: US Constitution 2nd Amendment does not apply to the states - only applies to Federal Government;

Can I own slaves? since it's the state of Louisiana and not federal government land. I don't want to hijack this thread I just don't get states not having to honor federal laws. If this is the case for 2A, as I know it is for cc, it's not the way the ones writing it intended it to be used.

Best of luck to those 'appealing' the non-resident revision.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Can I own slaves? since it's the state of Louisiana and not federal government land. I don't want to hijack this thread I just don't get states not having to honor federal laws. If this is the case for 2A, as I know it is for cc, it's not the way the ones writing it intended it to be used.

Best of luck to those 'appealing' the non-resident revision.

Dude, search for the old thread or PM dzelenka for the explanation. It's rather complicated and I don't want to get into a rehash of it here. You're a college student, right? You should be used to hearing complicated arguments that don't make sense initially.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    IOP1 for a change.

Actually you do NOT have a right to concealed carry. This has been discussed in depth here and you can search for it. Short version: US Constitution 2nd Amendment does not apply to the states - only applies to Federal Government; Louisiana Constitution reserves concealed carry as something to be regulated by the Legislature; you DO have the right to OC under the state Constitution.

Next.

I think you've gotten a little ahead of the facts. Whether or not the second amendemnt applies to the states is the issue currently before the supremes in the Chicago case. The anit-gunners are using this as their fall back position, but it is premature to state that it does not apply.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    IOP1...

Call Paul Gates, Morris Bart, and the E team... I am sure one of them will care.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqvxu4ve3w[/ame]

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think you've gotten a little ahead of the facts. Whether or not the second amendemnt applies to the states is the issue currently before the supremes in the Chicago case. The anit-gunners are using this as their fall back position, but it is premature to state that it does not apply.

Nope, until the Supreme Court rules for incorporation - the issue in the Chicago case you have referenced - it does not apply to the states. Ask Dan or read the old thread. It's one of those technicalities, but is sadly the way it is.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Nope, until the Supreme Court rules for incorporation - the issue in the Chicago case you have referenced - it does not apply to the states. Ask Dan or read the old thread. It's one of those technicalities, but is sadly the way it is.

I'm working with an attorney today who is also a gun guy. I'll run this by him, but my understanding was that you could not state with certainty either way right now. I'll let you know his take on it.

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Dude, search for the old thread or PM dzelenka for the explanation. It's rather complicated and I don't want to get into a rehash of it here. You're a college student, right? You should be used to hearing complicated arguments that don't make sense initially.

I'll look for the thread but the complicated arguments of gun rights in this country are inherently simple and make sense from beginning to end. It is politicians that muff them up. I have heard of this incorporation stuff before but what is the name of the chicago case.
    I try to be a college student...;) I'm in science btw. most things are very simple. the laws aren't up for interpretation. maybe that's why I can't follow a lot of the antigun stuff.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have heard of this incorporation stuff before but what is the name of the chicago case.

McDonald vs Chicago

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=12953

"In the June ruling that the Supreme Court will now review, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit held that the Second Amendment does not apply to state and local governments. That opinion left in place the current ban on the possession of handguns in Chicago."

I agree with you on the too clever by half arguments that anti-gunners concoct. How can any part of the constitution not apply everywhere in the United States? Have you ever heard of the First Amendment not being applicable? Me neither.

Top Bottom