Emptying hopper after use?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cookiemonster

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Vidalia, La
    I saw a Facebook post where a guy asked if people empty their hopper after loading. He said he had a dillon 550. Most people's comments were yes. I also use a 550. It's kept inside my house, load between 400-700 rounds a month, and use WST powder. I never unload mine......should I?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Do you notice any issues?

I think the main reason it would be a good idea is if you A) Use your press for several different calibers and maybe you wouldn't remember which powder was in the hopper or B) Your press was located in a non-fulltime climate controlled area.

Otherwise, I don't see it being a big problem. If you find you have a lot of powder staying in the hopper, just don't fill it up so much the next time.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not sure about the Dillon, but it is well established that some powder measure plastics can be damaged by the solvents in some powders if left over longer periods of time. This is the reason it is suggested that you empty the unused powder after each loading session.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I don't empty mine. Bulleye in the progressive and W231 in the RCBS uniflow. I keep them as full as possible to maintain more even powder throws. They're in a climate controlled shop.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    The only issue is the plastic will darken.
    Most folks I know who have their press set for a specific load keep the powder in the hopper and load as they find time.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Darkening of the plastic is caused by the graphite coating on powder and will occur over time if you leave powder in the hopper or not. What I am referring to is damage to the plastic from solvents in the powder. I have heard of several instances of the plastic breaking down from long term exposure to powder. Does it happen in all cases? Probably not but I always remove all powder from my measure for this and other reasons.

Top Bottom