Engraving NFA ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Request Dust Off. His shop is on the westbank in harvey. Do yourself a favor and take it to him. He's got all kinds of expensive machines to do it with. :D

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Where? What's the name of his shop? Price range? I got a few things that need to be done

His address is 2134 Alamo Dr.

take the Expressway, exit Manhattan, take a right on 11th, then a right basically at the end of the street, should be Alamo Dr. once you turn right, he'll be on the left. He's a great guy! He stayed late for me on day and we had some great conversations. I got my upper engraved by him. It'll take a couple passes but it'll definitely be deep enough to comply w/ ATF rules.

he charges $50. let me know if you need his number.

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    I know this engraving business is on the form but apparently it isn't required. My brother in Arizona just got his Form 1 SBR stamp back (done as an individual), he put nothing in the box and wasn't told by the ATF he needed to. Why deface your firearm if its not required.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    I know this engraving business is on the form but apparently it isn't required. My brother in Arizona just got his Form 1 SBR stamp back (done as an individual), he put nothing in the box and wasn't told by the ATF he needed to. Why deface your firearm if its not required.

It is Required... The ATF will mail you the stamp with out looking the gun over :confused: It needs to be engraved. The NFA engraving can be smaller then the serial number, but has to be deep enough to comply as posted above.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    - You must mark the newly made NFA firearm with the S/N, Model Name or Number, *your* Name, City, State and the caliber or gauge. If you used the S/N, Model and caliber from the original Title I firearm, then you're already half-way there as far as markings go ...

- Accepted abbreviations may be used for your name (i.e., your ititials), city & state. Ex: John Q. Public, Anywhere, PA can be marked as JQ Public, ANY PA. Trust names may NOT be abbreviated

- The S/N must be marked on the receiver or frame, and must be no less than 1/16" in height and no less than 0.003" deep.

- The remaining information (name, city, state, model and caliber) may be placed EITHER on the receiver OR the barrel, and must be no less than 0.003" deep. There are no minimum height requirements for these markings.

- All required markings must be in Roman letters (English) and Arabic numerals (1,2,3 ...), and be "wholly unobstructed from plain view". In other words, they may not be placed under handguards, grips, inside mag wells, etc.

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-title-ii-34/19708-current-atf-marking-requirements-nfa-items.html

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Someone educate me here on this point as I've not messed with SBRs and such....yet...

When you register an AR15 lower as an SBR, for example....The serial number on that lower will be considered a SBR forever regardless of what upper is installed. It is not as easily transferred as your run of the mill bushmaster that you picked up at Academy.... correct?

If I understand it correctly, it just makes sense that the lower would have to be permanently marked as an NFA item and your responsibility is to always have the associated paperwork nearby identifying it as legal and such. Any transfer of ownership of that lower would have to again apply for a new tax stamp handled through a class III dealer?

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    When you register an AR15 lower as an SBR, for example....The serial number on that lower will be considered a SBR forever regardless of what upper is installed. It is not as easily transferred as your run of the mill bushmaster that you picked up at Academy.... correct?

No,yes, You can have it removed from the registry if you wish and it will then be run of the mill. And it is more paper work and money "tax" then one you would pick up at Academy.

If I understand it correctly, it just makes sense that the lower would have to be permanently marked as an NFA item and your responsibility is to always have the associated paperwork nearby identifying it as legal and such.

Any transfer of ownership of that lower would have to again apply for a new tax stamp handled through a class III dealer?[/quote]

Yes,yes,no
    In state transfer can be between the current and future owner If one of them knows how to do the paperwork. The new owner will only receive the item after the new tax stamp is issued. It will be sent to the old owner

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

I'm your huckleberry...
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Watson, LA
    Someone educate me here on this point as I've not messed with SBRs and such....yet...

If I understand it correctly, it just makes sense that the lower would have to be permanently marked as an NFA item and your responsibility is to always have the associated paperwork nearby identifying it as legal and such. Any transfer of ownership of that lower would have to again apply for a new tax stamp handled through a class III dealer?

Correct, for the most part. If you were to sell a registered weapon to an in-state buyer you would not go through an SOT (dealer). It would transfer on a Form 4 ($200), person-to-person. An out-of-state transfer would involve 2 SOTs, one in LA and one in the purchaser's state.

Muddy the water any?

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    thanks guys....

my understanding of the overall issue is clear...it's those darned details. I was clueless as to the instate/out of state thing...

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    Madmax, I am aware the ATF doesn't look over the firearm but they do look over the paperwork, in fact that is all they look at. My brother did not put any information in the additional description box and it was approved i.e. the reviewer/ATF did not say "hey you forgot this".

Last edited:

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    I guess it depends on what you are doing. Look at form 1 instruction 2i. My brother filled a form 1 to make an ar15 pistol into a ar15 sbr. It was approved without additional markings. YMMV.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    I guess it depends on what you are doing. Look at form 1 instruction 2i. My brother filled a form 1 to make an ar15 pistol into a ar15 sbr. It was approved without additional markings. YMMV.

Again see post#12 or google it if you have to :rolleyes:
    having the form approved without additional markings has nothing to do with it. Just saying, people can do what they want. I'll go by the book and have my stuff marked

Last edited:

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    Madmax, are you serious? They jokingly call it the errornet for a reason. You take something from a internet forum over the INSTRUCTIONS THE ATF WROTE? Just cause other people do it that doesn't make it right or required.

Do what you want but I am not convinced it is required in all cases, such as the one I mentioned.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Madmax, are you serious? They jokingly call it the errornet for a reason. You take something from a internet forum over the INSTRUCTIONS THE ATF WROTE? Just cause other people do it that doesn't make it right or required.

Do what you want but I am not convinced it is required in all cases, such as the one I mentioned.

Do you know how many forms the examiner views all in one day. You do know the examiners are human and can miss something like that dont you? Just because he approved the forms dont mean its legal to not get it engraved.

Top Bottom