European Mount

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Got a decent 8pt last weekend and I'd like to make a European mount out of the skull. Tried this a couple times a few years ago with bleach and borax, but was never able to get a good uniform color. So if anyone has experience with mount any tips, or even better, step-by-step instructions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have done several over the years. I use salon strength peroxide. You can get the good stuff at a wholesale beauty supply. They come out very nice and pearly white! ;)

Google: "European mount"

Results galore!

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Bleach is the term used but not the chemical to whiten bone. clorox will permanently damage the bone. use 40 volume peroxide and a packet of basic white powder. wear gloves it will burn your skin.

also if you do the "boil" method that too is the term, don't let the water get over 160 degrees, and watch it closely, simmer, remove meat, simmer remove meat etc… boiling will also damage the bone and let the pores in the bone to open up, which let the grease from the fat to get into the bone.

I suggest you go over to taxidermy.net and search european mount or raccoon skull.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Finished the cleaning about a week ago. Used the "boil/simmer, remove meat, repeat" method followed by a couple 1.5 hr coats of 40 volume peroxide and whitener. Just mounted it to a piece of old cedar fence post yesterday.

IMG_20131226_185723.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Looks good. You can also seal it with a mix of 1/2 Elmer's white glue and 1/2 water. That helps to seal the pores of the bone and helps with dust sticking to it.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If 40 volume peroxide is the same as 40% hydrogen peroxide, be very careful with it. It will burn and bleach your skin almost imediately!

Top Bottom