Ever heard of "cut shells" ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    But now I'm wondering if this will work with other actions, like auto or pump...anyone know?

I shot some in a pump gun over 50 years ago. I like to believe I'm smarter now. Heard of some bulging barrels back then from doing it. I would suggest that if you did it with a steel shot shell a bulge would be the least of the damage that would occur. Most probably much more catastrophic.
    Old shells were made of paper and used paper wads and there was no shot cups so the ringing procedure was a little different.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    Do you think it's a bad idea all the way around, or just with specific actions?

If that is directed at me ; I think it is bad all the way around. When you "cut" a shell you are forcing the whole diameterof the shell down the barrel. The barrel is designed to accept the shot charge. When you add the shot cup it is so thin as to not be a problem. But then to add the thickness of the shell I believe is too much. I would think that the pressures are raised to dangerous levels. What else would have bulged the barrels long ago ? Go get a shotgun shell out of the closet and cut it in half and see how thick the case is . For those who do not reload you may be surprised. I think we have been fortunate that shot guns are built with a hefty safety factor as pressures go. I am not going to push my luck any farther.
    I am not as bulletproof as I used to be.

H.Bear

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    New Orleans
    If that is directed at me ; I think it is bad all the way around. When you "cut" a shell you are forcing the whole diameterof the shell down the barrel. The barrel is designed to accept the shot charge. When you add the shot cup it is so thin as to not be a problem. But then to add the thickness of the shell I believe is too much. I would think that the pressures are raised to dangerous levels. What else would have bulged the barrels long ago ? Go get a shotgun shell out of the closet and cut it in half and see how thick the case is . For those who do not reload you may be surprised. I think we have been fortunate that shot guns are built with a hefty safety factor as pressures go. I am not going to push my luck any farther.
    I am not as bulletproof as I used to be.

Thanks for your perspective. My friend was telling me that in his part of Texas they sometimes reload shells with pennies. That sounds fun, doesn't it?

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    Thanks for your perspective. My friend was telling me that in his part of Texas they sometimes reload shells with pennies. That sounds fun, doesn't it?

Actually I heard of that long ago. Always thought it was a bad idea. Have you seen the TV series "1000 Ways to die " ?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

People load all kinds of **** in shot shells. Coins, flechettes, etc. Just search Youtube, there's all kinds of crazy stuff. I saw one video where they loaded up TicTacs. :rofl:

I have no idea if any of that is a good idea either, but I'd bet it's still safer than cut shells.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    People load all kinds of **** in shot shells. Coins, flechettes, etc. Just search Youtube, there's all kinds of crazy stuff. I saw one video where they loaded up TicTacs. :rofl:
    I have no idea if any of that is a good idea either, but I'd bet it's still safer than cut shells.

I would not say that one is any safer than the other. Ask any reloader on here. Shotgun shells are loaded with a particular powder for a specific shot weight. When you take lead out of a shell and replace it with ticTacs you have seriously changed
    the dynamics. Most Youtube videos are rather short so none show the arrival of the ambulance.

H.Bear

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    New Orleans
    Actually I heard of that long ago. Always thought it was a bad idea. Have you seen the TV series "1000 Ways to die " ?

Yeah...my favorite is when the guy has sex with a cow's heart. He hooks it up to a 120v outlet to get it to beat and sticks his member in the ventral artery, and ends up electrocuting himself. Talk about a stiff member....

Reminds me of the redneck's last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

Last edited:

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    Safer and more effective to go with a granulation model with shot shell and wax.

Very devastating on non-living objects :D (use at your own discression on anything living, for any reason....)

Top Bottom