Ever sued anybody ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Has anyone here ever sued anybody and got a judgement ? I have a slam dunk case against somebody but I'm not sure it would be worth it . I am owed a little less than 20 grand , but I have no idea how much it would cost in legal fees , especially if it drags out for any length of time .

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah find an attorney that a friend or family member recommends.

Some judges award attorneys fees, some don't. And when some of them do, it's a nominal amount. Plaintiff case that goes to trial may mean up to 40% to the lawyer.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    if you win the other party will have to pay legal fees

Respectfully...wrong. Attorneys fees are rarely awarded and then only where specifically provided for either by statute or as the terms of a contract. Where not provided for you can expect an attorney to take from 1/3 to 40% plus costs. However, that's taken out of the winnings, so if the attorney doesn't collect you're usually on the hook only for the costs. On the other hand, 2/3rds to 60% of $20K isn't chump change.

If you want to, PM me with a number where I can reach you tomorrow and a good time to call and I'll be happy to provide you with some suggestions (free of charge).:)

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I sued a bank, took 5 years to finally get a judgement and my money. Their lawyer tried everything to get me to drop the case. In the end it wasn't about the money, it was the principle.

SKIPP3RLANDRY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Yeah find an attorney that a friend or family member recommends.

Some judges award attorneys fees, some don't. And when some of them do, it's a nominal amount. Plaintiff case that goes to trial may mean up to 40% to the lawyer.

to 60% if you don't pay their fee and they work for part of the take.

you will end up with heartache and regret no matter if you win or loose for any amount under 100k in our 25 year experience of doing business in this country.

In America today, it usually isn't worth suing anyone because the lawyers get the lions share of both sides. If its against any business that is semi-chain size they have their own lawyers and will be happy to drag it our to waste your money and get you to quit.

In our company, its not worth paying a lawyer $250 an hour to start to guess about whether its a worthwhile case. And if its something they might take, they will offer free work for 60% of the gross take.

three types of people I hate in this world:

1) politicians
    2) lawyers
    3) real estate "professionals"

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    dantheman:

The best advice is just go talk to a lawyer. PM me if you need a name of a good local lawyer to talk to. Consultations are free, normally. The lawyers are the ones who will best be able to tell you about the %'s and the likelihood of receiving a judgment or settlement with your particular situation.

Good luck either way!

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    skipp3rlandry,

"three types of people I hate in this world:

1) politicians
    2) lawyers
    3) real estate "professionals""

I could not agree more.