Everyone selling guns and not trading trend…

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Me and my Dad use to rent a table at the Centroplex back in the day. He would take all his guns and would trade to get something different. He loved to do that and we came home with some interesting guns at times. My Dad never hardly sold a gun unless he wanted to buy another, trading was his thing. I miss him and going to a real gun show.
    I remember those days. Lots of good Collectors trading back and forth.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    This is what turns me off of trade adds..
    just an example... not here

WTS or Trade
    sale price $500 .......trade value $900

WTF does that mean...... Your item is worth either $500 or $900 , but not either orView attachment 143891
    In reality, with the current state of U.S. currency.... guns are worth way more than cash!

Sapper

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What’s even more annoying is posting something for SALE and getting multiple messages asking if you are willing to trade. In addition to their message, not even mentioning what they are even offering for trade, ha.

If I wanted to trade I would create the proper listing and post specific trade interests.
    This routinely happens to me. List it for sale. Someone asks to trade but they don’t say what they have.

What kills me is this site’s infatuation with using a bill of sale. It’s dumb and I hate it. I’ve sold a ton of stuff without it. If it says bill of sale, I skip over it.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    This routinely happens to me. List it for sale. Someone asks to trade but they don’t say what they have.

What kills me is this site’s infatuation with using a bill of sale. It’s dumb and I hate it. I’ve sold a ton of stuff without it. If it says bill of sale, I skip over it.
    Out of all of the transactions I’ve done with members here I think I may have filled out 2-3 bills of sale. A bill of sale doesn’t bother me as much but what I’ll definitely skip over is meeting at a FFL to do the transfer. At that point I’ll just buy it new online or from one of my local gun shops.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I'm sure it's been said already but for some, it's selling a pistol in order to make room for another purchase. Therefore when you see AND READ a "WTS" listing that says "not looking to trade" then don't both asking that person if they are willing to trade.

I usually look at what i paid, when i paid and then i browse a few sites in order to determine what I'm willing to lose, in order to build back that $$$$ for something else. But yes, there are some that are either asking too much.... or expecting something for nothing.
    Well.. There is the old saying, you won’t know unless you ask. I had a few things for sale and I was offered some different things to trade and I’m glad I did. You just have to be open to all types of offers when dealing with everybody. Some people are just straight pricks about it though… We have to remember that we are like minded people trying to survive this craziness in the big house. We are all in this together. Let’s act like it!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Well.. There is the old saying, you won’t know unless you ask. I had a few things for sale and I was offered some different things to trade and I’m glad I did. You just have to be open to all types of offers when dealing with everybody. Some people are just straight pricks about it though… We have to remember that we are like minded people trying to survive this craziness in the big house. We are all in this together. Let’s act like it!
    I agree Mike. I think guys are just being kind of petty now tbh. If the add says no trades then I usually won’t ask but for the ones that only say WTS but nothing about trading I’ll ask. I also won’t name off every single gun, part, ammo, optic or accessory I’m willing to trade. I’ll simply ask if they are interested in trading. If the answers yes I ask what they like and go from there. These guys are nuts if they think asking to trade should require me to list every thing possible I’m willing to trade lol.

Last edited:

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I agree Mike. I think guys are just being kind of petty now tbh. If the add says no trades then I usually won’t ask but for the ones that only say WTS but nothing about trading I’ll ask. I also won’t name off every single gun, part, ammo, optic or accessory I’m willing to trade. I’ll simply ask if they are interested in trading. If the answers yes I ask what they like and go from there. These guys are nuts if they think asking to trade should require me to list every thing possible I’m willing to trade lol.
    So true!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

The site isn't infatuated with using a bill of sale. The site recommends using a bill of sale but leaves the actual decision up to the buyer and seller.

Sentinel_Go

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2023
    Baton Rouge
    This is what turns me off of trade adds..
    just an example... not here

WTS or Trade
    sale price $500 .......trade value $900

WTF does that mean...... Your item is worth either $500 or $900 , but not either orView attachment 143891
    When you trade in your car you get more than if the dealer buys outright. It's Kindve like that but never should be full value.

Sapper

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    That sounds ok, but doesn’t really work that way. If you see say an $1800 firearm you want to trade for, you just have some idea of what you’d want to trade. For example another pistol or rifle. Maybe something and add cash, as the seller, I have no idea what you have but I have listed exactly what I’m willing to part with. Now days, at the end of the listing I put open to trades, prefer say 556/9mm semi autos etc. I still get asked “what are you looking for?” And then gotten say a crossbow offered or a rifle chambered in 300 win mag. I always say thank you and compliment whatever they have, it’s just kind of a thing I think that only happens on the internet though.

Sapper

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The site isn't infatuated with using a bill of sale. The site recommends using a bill of sale but leaves the actual decision up to the buyer and seller.
    You say that but I dunno, seems be in most ads and honestly only see that here. Why is it recommended? It exceeds minimum compliance and smacks of self regulation. Agree that it is up to the people doing the deal, but I would never tell someone, “hey I don’t want a bill of sale”. I’m not a prohibited person, but don’t want to come off as weird to someone who thinks a bill of sale is normal. Bill of sales are not normal for firearms transactions, so I don’t want to aid in making it so.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You say that but I dunno, seems be in most ads and honestly only see that here. Why is it recommended? It exceeds minimum compliance and smacks of self regulation. Agree that it is up to the people doing the deal, but I would never tell someone, “hey I don’t want a bill of sale”. I’m not a prohibited person, but don’t want to come off as weird to someone who thinks a bill of sale is normal. Bill of sales are not normal for firearms transactions, so I don’t want to aid in making it so.
    I don't think BOS are not normal. As we have discussed in other posts, they add a bit of protection from wrongdoing. If I'm the buyer, it helps you if I shoot someone illegally and helps me if you sold me a stolen firearm, assuming LE comes knocking on your door. I don't think anyone is turning over a BOS to an alphabet agency on a whim...

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

If it's in most ads then that what the sellers want. The site does not require anything. It's recommended because the positives of having a bill of sale outweigh the negatives. The fact that it exceeds minimum compliance for private transfers is not relevant. There are plenty of things that are good practice that exceed the minimum requirements. And bill of sales are quite normal for the vast majority of firearm transfers.

And you should probably look into why you come off as weird saying you don't want a bill of sale if, as you speculated, a bill of sale is not normal.

Bullydog2726

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2020
    Gulfport
    trading for something in what I would think a lot of cases, doesn’t make a lot of sense. If I want a gun I go and buy it. if I decide I have one that I want to get rid of, I want to sell it. There isn’t anyone on this post that hasn’t had something for sale and, had someone offer them another firearm that was worth half of what was being asked of their gun. Too many people trying to turn their $400 Glock into a kimber 1911. Sell your gun and then go purchase something that some one has.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I received my love of guns; trading, swapping, buy/sell from my grandfather. He was always trading something. So i understand the fun and interest in trades, it always makes me think of him and the time we spent together. He enjoyed the haggling back and forth, stories in between, and just conversations.It was as much, or more, about the socializing for him i think, although he loved a good deal.

Prices on here do get ridiculous sometimes, i just pass over them. I've had several instances of people low balling the hell out of me too, i simply say no. I havent made many sales or buys in recent years here mainly because i live around Alexandria and most are in the BR or NO areas, i usually am the one doing more driving for a transaction. Which depending on how bad i want something is fine. Of my maybe 20+ transactions from this site over the years, all have been smooth and fair on both sides i feel, as well as some good stories.

Overall, it's a great community here that i thinkccarries on what i enjoy about trading, buying and selling.

Sapper

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    And you should probably look into why you come off as weird saying you don't want a bill of sale if, as you speculated, a bill of sale is not normal.
    Bill of sale is certainly common, but not for firearms, and especially around Louisiana.

What I think is happening is that people think they are getting protection when they aren’t. So if you say, hey a bill of sale isn’t necessary, they may think you are trying to get around something. When reality, what they are asking for is just not needed.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Bill of sale is certainly common, but not for firearms, and especially around Louisiana.

What I think is happening is that people think they are getting protection when they aren’t. So if you say, hey a bill of sale isn’t necessary, they may think you are trying to get around something. When reality, what they are asking for is just not needed.
    Yea I agree. But what people don’t understand is if you are communicating through text messages or private messages on here, this is also the same proof you get with a bill of sale. Messaging shows proof of sale or proof of trade. We are in the technical age of digital proof that some of the older members don’t understand. The paper trail has become the digital footprint for transactions now….

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

A BOS for a firearm transfer is far more common than no DOS for a transfer, even in Louisiana.

Yea I agree. But what people don’t understand is if you are communicating through text messages or private messages on here, this is also the same proof you get with a bill of sale. Messaging shows proof of sale or proof of trade. We are in the technical age of digital proof that some of the older members don’t understand. The paper trail has become the digital footprint for transactions now….

Text messages are nowhere near the same proof as a proper bill of sale. A bos will have a name and a signature, possibly even an id number. It should show that a transaction took place and it points to one person. Text messages will show that a transfer may happen in the future. And that information is tied to a phone number. That phone number may or may not lead to a name. I can go online and get a phone number that leads to nowhere. Or I can go pick up a pre-paid burner phone. In either case, they won't offer near the proof that a name/signature/id would. We are in the technical age that some of the people don’t understand. They think that anything digital is traceable and establishes proof. It's not and it doesn't.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    That sounds ok, but doesn’t really work that way. If you see say an $1800 firearm you want to trade for, you just have some idea of what you’d want to trade. For example another pistol or rifle. Maybe something and add cash, as the seller, I have no idea what you have but I have listed exactly what I’m willing to part with. Now days, at the end of the listing I put open to trades, prefer say 556/9mm semi autos etc. I still get asked “what are you looking for?” And then gotten say a crossbow offered or a rifle chambered in 300 win mag. I always say thank you and compliment whatever they have, it’s just kind of a thing I think that only happens on the internet though.
    Yea I may have an idea of what I’m willing to trade for it for sure. That doesn’t mean I’m going to list all 50-100 different options originally. Do you realize how broad of a category semi auto 9mm/5.56 guns are? I think it’s just kind of silly to knit pick at something like that. It’s not like we’re getting hundreds of messages a day. How hard is it to take 3 seconds to look at a message and respond no thanks.

Top Bottom