Evinrude e-tec motors

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    I am considering repowering one of the three boats i have , who on here has or has used and E-tec? pro's con's? I am looking at the 60 or 75 model. I won't own a four stroke so that is out.

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    I live in Shreveport but we go fishing down south 5-10 times a year. A coworker is from New Iberia, and its all they swear by...so my buddy bought a 90? E-tec.

Brought it down last year with 75 hours to Venice. We got five miles out and it started studdering. Long story short, we were stranded. Took it in, powerhead blew. Took it to a repair shop on the way back.

6mo later he got it back, took it for a test drive and it ran better than before. The next weekend we went deer hunting on the river, it blew again with two hours on the new powerhead.

Look up E-tec powerhead problems online and you will see a long list of issues.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    If the direct injected two stroke technology was the answer the Japanese would have copied it, made it better and be blowing Evinrude out the water in production price and reliability, but it is not. You should reconsider the four stroke. I don't care whose 2-stroke it is, if you are lucky you may get 2,000 hrs. The four-strokes in commercial applications get abused everyday and still average about 5,000 hrs. It's your money spend it anyway you see fit, but I promise you this, 2-stroke engines are not the future of outboard technology.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    On motors, if you have something specific in mind, have a look at what the guys that use them to make a living are using. Around here, it mostly seems to be mercury or yamaha. I know a few crawfishermen that all use yamaha and woundnt bother with anything else.
    Having said that, I have heard good stuff about the etecs and supposedly the gas consumption is very good compared to a lot of other 2 strokes.
    Finding a good deal on a good condition motor is more important to me than brand. I still swear the most reliable trouble free motor I had was a 87 model 85hp force. Had it for years, never even changed the plugs on it, carbs never got nasty, always started no matter how long it had sat up and never failed me at all other than a trim solenoid going bad and was suprisingly good on fuel for the weight of the boat it was on. Really wish I would have kept it. 90% of people you ask will say a force is junk, maybe I got the only good one they ever made?

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Don't bother with the etec. We had one on my dads boat before he upgraded and he fishes over 175 times a year. It was no better on gas than his older mercury 200 and it also had a lower top speed. It will burn less gas while trolling and that's about it. Stick with a Yamaha.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I love my Evinrude 120 V4 but if it went to hell, I'd be looking at yamaha engines, haven't heard too much bad about them at all.

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    +1
    What is your hold with four strokes to begin with other than additional weight?
    The lack of bottom end and the injector and fuel system issues i have seen. That being said if you don't use it and don't stabilize it you get what you get.
    I have a 175 efi merc, a late model 60 merc and a 70 evinrude so i am biased to two stroke. Obviously the four stoke is quieter, lighter on fuel etc i am just an old dog. I have read that these e-tecs have injector issues then there goes the powerhead, they also use a 50:1 oil ratio now instead of 100:1. I just need to replace that old 70 i have had three of them and they run forever!

fishnuts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Gonzales
    Dont forget about the new suzuki 60 fourstroke. I have a 2012 model df60 on my flats skiff. Excellent holeshot and top end. Lightest fourstroke on the market. Fuel economy is crazy good. Also comes with a 6 year warranty. The price is about the same vs. a etec.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    2011-yamaha-outboards-F70-action-004_gal_col_tcm114-380837_zps025dfc96.jpg

F70 (NEW)
    Weighing in at up to 142 pounds lighter than its four stroke competitors, this 16-valve SOHC (Single Overhead Camshaft) midrange four stroke offers the greatest power-to-weight ratio in its class. That makes it perfect for lightweight fishing boats, pontoons and fiberglass boats. In addition, it’s Command Link® and YCOP™ compatible.

Yamaha 2-stroke 70 hp 228 lbs

Yamaha's new F70 SOHC 4-stroke 257 lbs

I've put several on 15' whalers and impressive doesn't even begin to describe the 3rd generation 4-stroke motors, everything they did to dirt bike racing they are now doing to outboard motors.

Hammar

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Metairie
    Ed, we put out Yamaha's through the ringer at work. We have boats with Merk's and Evan's and everyone will pass them up every time to grab the boats with the Yamaha's. The only issue we ever had with the Yamaha was right after the tsunami, parts were tough to come by. That is no longer an issue though.

You really owe it to yourself to take a look, and give them a try. Based on my experience, I wouldn't buy any other motor right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom