Experience, Tips to Obtain Louisiana Tint Security Exemption

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Sounds like the most common option is a medical exemption. Might be worth paying the fee.

Or like some of you said just pay the tickets as they come, but I'd rather not deal with that.

ctrues

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Metairie Louisiana
    I did not say that. If you, as a citizen want your tint that dark you should be able to do it, on the flip side if you are stopped for a violation by a LEO that is nervous about his safety he should have the ability to remove you and the other occupants in a manner to provide for his/her safety. If you want your tint that dark then you should understand that this may be required during stops. I do not believe every LEO will act in this manner.
    What I am tired of is the citizens of this country giving up personal liberties under the guise of security. It is these same alarmists passing laws restricting personal freedoms that are one day going to take your firearms for the "public good" if you let them.

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    My exemption is free, private investigator, but there is always the chance i will be pulled over for tint alone. When tint was not as common, investigators were better off without tint, lest you call attention to you vehicle. i used to hang dark curtains behind medium tint. Now, ery other car is blacked out.

ctrues

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Metairie Louisiana
    As a LEO what do you do if you pull over a van with no rear windows for a minor violation? Do you assess the situation and take precautions you see fit? Some do. Others react more nervously. If you choose to drive with tint that dark it should be your right but you must understand that LEO has the right to safely perform his/her job. I am merely saying that dark tint does not make one a criminal. (I do not even have my windows tinted). I just don't believe my rights should be infringed to keep someone from pissing themselves in fear. My rights trump your fear, much like open carry may make some in public nervous it should not justify the removal of my firearms or the government removing my right to do so.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'll rephrase. Meeting the criteria = autoapprove. If you don't meet the criteria I can't imagine why you'd apply at all.

§813S.6.e

The following non-exclusive list of persons, or entities, shall be eligible for a security exemption from the provisions of R.S. 32:361.1:
    i. private investigators;
    ii. bail enforcement agents;
    iii. railroad police officers;
    iv Louisiana peace officers, P.O.S.T. certified and sworn;
    v. elected or appointed public officials;

f. Security Exemption Criteria
    i. Vehicle must be:
    (a). properly licensed, insured and registered, all in Louisiana; and
    (b). owned or leased by an applicant

ctrues

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Metairie Louisiana
    Because the elected officials, such as the school board members, really need that dark tint for "security" to protect their common core teaching materials.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I'll rephrase. Meeting the criteria = autoapprove. If you don't meet the criteria I can't imagine why you'd apply at all.

§813S.6.e

The following non-exclusive list of persons, or entities, shall be eligible for a security exemption from the provisions of R.S. 32:361.1:
    i. private investigators;
    ii. bail enforcement agents;
    iii. railroad police officers;
    iv Louisiana peace officers, P.O.S.T. certified and sworn;
    v. elected or appointed public officials;

f. Security Exemption Criteria
    i. Vehicle must be:
    (a). properly licensed, insured and registered, all in Louisiana; and
    (b). owned or leased by an applicant

Thanks for pointing that out, it does provide some insight. For what it's worth, that is not intended to be an exhaustive list.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    P The driving at night is a BS argument since your windshield is not tinted and one does not have to see from their windshield mounted mirror to drive. .

I have a good friend that's a LEO and he told me when he worked for a dept. that had dark tint on the units he had to put his window down at night to see. I also heard of a LEO backing over a woman on I-12 because he couldn't see out of the rear of his unit at night. It takes more than a windshield to drive.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Because the elected officials, such as the school board members, really need that dark tint for "security" to protect their common core teaching materials.

Seems like your beef is with the over-regulation and I agree; I have never used tint or a MVI as PC for a stop. I think both are ********. most LEOs don't see it that way though. That being said....

What's it worth to you? Do you have a MVI sticker? Do you wear a seatbelt or a helmet? I think that is over regulation and a personal decision also.

Top Bottom