Explosion at the Boston Marathon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Because it completely crushes the good tissue and blood vessels which are almost impossible to "stretch and replace" I'm sure there are synthetic things now but in all honesty for quick stoppage of blood throw on the tourney, get to hospital, KERLEX and ace bandages or KERLEX and Israeli bandages work great too. Nate has a great class I hear, I'm in Lafayette I can show you a few things if anyone needs as well.

I plan to take VG's class ASAP.

The point was made that tourniquets can cause tissue damage if left on for too long (the order of 4-8 hours ish), and that for your everyday civilian in an urban environment, the tourniquet is good practice for stopping serious bleeding.

In scouts I was taught not to use the tourniquet unless they were possibly going to die from wound because they'd lose the limb, but now I'm finding out that's just not true. However, that's not to say one should be used for any nick or scratch, but serious arterial bleeding.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Somewhat, but then that's part of the reason you use something wider across, to distribute the pressure more evenly. Also, you don't have to tighten down a tourniquet as hard as you can, only as much as it requires to stop the bleeding.

Exactly. Sounds like I've got a fellow CMB bud in my presence :)

I want you to do some homework. Find a decent sized log about comparable to a human arm, and then find two sticks comparable in size to a whole human arm. Take a small garden hose or piping and run water through. Start tightening each with your homemade tourney until the h2o will quit flowing. You'll see A.) it's almost impossible to stop the flow on the two stick model, hence why I suggest you put it above the joint on the single bone part of the extremity, or B.) you'll crush the two stick model trying to stop the bleeding an have caused possible irreparable damage to the two bone portion of the extremity.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    From an hour ago....

U.S. law enforcement officials said Tuesday that a Saudi national injured in the Boston Marathon bombing is regarded as a witness, not a suspect.

The Saudi, who is recuperating at a Boston hospital, is in his 20s and is in the United States on a Saudi scholarship to study at a university in the Boston area.

He declined to identify the young man, but said he sustained serious burn injuries. The official said the victim is cooperating with U.S. investigators and granted permission for his Boston area apartment to be searched.

*He volunteered to have it searched,* the Saudi official said. *He is fully cooperating with authorities.*

He is one of two Saudi citizens who were injured in the attacks, officials said. The other is a female student who attended the race with her son and husband, and who sustained shrapnel injuries to her legs.

They are among thousands of Saudi nationals who attend college in the United States. The Saudi consulate in New York has dispatched a representative to Boston to meet with the hospitalized Saudi.

I feel bad that he got blamed so immediately. I guess that since the Boston Marathon is an international event, the likelihood of foreigners attending would be high.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Because it completely crushes the good tissue and blood vessels which are almost impossible to "stretch and replace" I'm sure there are synthetic things now but in all honesty for quick stoppage of blood throw on the tourney, get to hospital, KERLEX and ace bandages or KERLEX and Israeli bandages work great too. Nate has a great class I hear, I'm in Lafayette I can show you a few things if anyone needs as well.

Yea I just remember hearing about the history of it when we went through Combat Life Saver and how it's a delicate balance.

Do you want to live? Then you need a tourniquet to stop the blood loss.

But if the tourney is done incorrectly, you might lose the entire limb.

Thus the delicate balance of saving life or limb or trying to do both.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I plan to take VG's class ASAP.

The point was made that tourniquets can cause tissue damage if left on for too long (the order of 4-8 hours ish), and that for your everyday civilian in an urban environment, the tourniquet is good practice for stopping serious bleeding.

In scouts I was taught not to use the tourniquet unless they were possibly going to die from wound because they'd lose the limb, but now I'm finding out that's just not true. However, that's not to say one should be used for any nick or scratch, but serious arterial bleeding.

In civilian medicine the tourniquet is a last resort option, they still require you to add pressure elevate, check pulse etc. apply more pressure check distal pulse elevate etc, apply tourniquet blah blah blah

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Yea I just remember hearing about the history of it when we went through Combat Life Saver and how it's a delicate balance.

Do you want to live? Then you need a tourniquet to stop the blood loss.

But if the tourney is done incorrectly, you might lose the entire limb.

Thus the delicate balance of saving life or limb or trying to do both.

Yeah got damnit it's a tough call. It hurts making that decision but my life is more important than walking or catching a ball. (That's what she said ;) )

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I feel bad that he got blamed so immediately. I guess that since the Boston Marathon is an international event, the likelihood of foreigners attending would be high.

Well, at least the news didn't show half of the Middle East celebrating again after hearing the news of the bombing. Or did I just not get home yet to see it?

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    Im a first responder for the plant I work at. We breifly covered tourniquets and their dangers when I went through the class at RIPS in Vacherie. Loss of limb, the blood becoming toxic below it,... But like you said, Ide rather still have my kids around even if they cant play ball anymore.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    In civilian medicine the tourniquet is a last resort option, they still require you to add pressure elevate, check pulse etc. apply more pressure check distal pulse elevate etc, apply tourniquet blah blah blah

A lot of places now are teaching direct pressure first, then, if you're unable to control bleeding with direct pressure, apply a commerical tourniquet. Pressure points are still taught but aren't really emphasized.

Exactly. Sounds like I've got a fellow CMB bud in my presence

LOL..not exactly...Nationally Registered Paramedic with 16 years 911 experience and 4 years of industrial experience. :)

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Well, at least the news didn't show half of the Middle East celebrating again after hearing the news of the bombing. Or did I just not get home yet to see it?

Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah Celebrate Boston Terror Attack

By Israel News Agency Staff

Jerusalem, Israel --- April 15, 2013 … Shortly after terror bombs exploded and murdered over 12 people at the Boston Marathon, members of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah were reported to be dancing in the streets of Gaza, handing out candies to passerbys.

A number of Palestinians had danced in the street in celebration of the 9/11 attacks in 2001 on the World Trade Center and Washington resulting in the deaths of thousands of Americans.

The head of an Islamic terror organization in Jordan - the Muslim Salafi group says he’s “happy to see the horror in America” after the bombing attacks in Boston.

“American blood isn’t more precious than Muslim blood,” said Mohammad al-Chalabi, who was convicted in an al-Qaeda-linked plot to attack US and other Western diplomatic missions in Jordan in 2003.

“Let the Americans feel the pain we endured by their armies occupying Iraq and Afghanistan and killing our people there,” he said today.

A Mideast counterterrorism official based in Jordan said the blasts “carry the hallmark of an organized terrorist group, like al-Qaeda.”

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA

It doesn't fit the current administration's M.O. at this time

I would have expected footage of "right-wing" militia types, i.e. pics of weekend warriors dressed in camo and carrying AR's ata gun show in the U.S.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

Extremely high. In the last twelve years at least, internationals have won the event. This isn't an American event, it's a world event.

The important fact concerning these international athletes is, they had finished three hours before... give or take.

The ones injured were mostly American charity runners and families.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yea that's what i was saying, I'm certain he saved his life with that pinch.

That poor guy was ash gray- and I doubt that was all from debris.

That man was like a guardian angel. Hate to learn he's been through such terrible sorrow in his life.....

Top Bottom