Expressions you use that nobody understands

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I say it all the time and sure others do as well. I'm "fixin to go do something" instead of "I'm about to go do something". Must be southern thing. Also the saying "hit the bushes" is used daily round here

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Dude really? As Marines, does this not happen ALL THE TIME!? :eek3: :D

I also work on an Army Base.....yea......all the time. :doh:

Our Jargon don't match. However ONCE in a Blue Moon I find a cross-dresser and have a brief moment of camaraderie :mamoru:

I actually chuckled because when i joined there was actually expressions i used in boot camp and in the fleet that other Marines didnt understand. Louisiana is more twisted than the Corps.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    When I have to **** with a group of friends I always say I'm going 10-1 be right back. They never have any idea what I am talking about.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Funny you should bring this up. We were just talking about this at work yesterday. We moved to LA when I was about 11. The first time I heard "Mynez" for mayo I didn't know what the heck they were talking about. A neighbor was making her kids and me a sandwich and she asked me if I wanted "Mynez" on it. I was clueless. Same with "hosepipe". It's either a "garden hose" or just "hose" for short.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Years ago my wife had a friend visiting us from Virginia. We were headed to the French Quarter on day and I had to stop by my mothers house to drop something off. Upon exiting the car I asked my wife if they wanted to "get down" or just wait in the car? Her friend gave her and then me this crazy look. While I was inside my mothers house she told my wife that she thought I was asking both of them if they wanted to have sex right then and there. Lol...... We had to explain the list of New Orleans "slang terms" from then on.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    "Full as a tic" still pisses my mom off when my dad says it at the dinner table.
    That said, I say dinner, my wife says supper.

That is "Full as a tick." I heard that as a kid.

"Mox - Nix" means have no preference one way or the other, or as my Granny would say "Six of one, half a dozen of the other"

From the German "Machts nichts," or, literally, makes nothing, equivalent to the current expression "No problem."

I hadn't heard about "making groceries" until I moved to Gonzales 45y ago.

Also, the use of "bring" when the proper work is "take."

:ohreally:

gabesurface

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm originally from the north and moved to Louisiana 5 years ago. I didn't understand half of what was said for the first couple months. If it was slang, I didn't get it.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Whenever i speak in spanish, noone around here knows what i am saying... so I have some fun with it... makes for serious glares if they figure out what im saying lol...

Top Bottom