extra mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    How do you carry them? I am looking to buy a single mag holster, preferably something that is not belt slide.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I carry a single mag OWB Kydex on my left side hip. Quick on and off so I dont have to take my belt off all the way to take it off like I had to do before.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I carry a single mag OWB Kydex on my left side hip. Quick on and off so I dont have to take my belt off all the way to take it off like I had to do before.

You remember the brand? I've looked at a few already.

I know Spanky has a hard on for the RM ones. I may check those out.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Right now I have a Blackhawk. Not entirely impressed. A few rough edges that I cleaned up with some emory cloth. Sticks a little far out from my belt. That being said, I carry a mag for an M&P45c in there, so it's not going to be a thin as my 1911 mag holster.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The RM spare mag pouch is excellent.

The bum turned me on to them and I haven't looked back. I actually have two so I can use them for the IDPA matches. Excellent in that regard as well.

firesafety3

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    Gonzales, Louisiana
    I tried something a little different. I will normally wear a sports coat this time of year anyway so I bought a 5.11 VIP Blazer.

http://www.admiralfire.com/index.php?page=product&pid=334&subid=&manid=

Each side (chest high) has a generous opening with a velcro lining. I backed a IWB holster with mating velcro and stuck it nice and tight in there.

Inside the jacket, where a simple pocket would be on normal blazers, are four individual mag pockets.

Been doing this for over a year now. I've been carrying a .380 but since I picked up a PT709, it rides very good and is comfortable to carry.

YoungGunner86

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge/ New Orleans
    Do y'all really think it is all that important to keep an extra mag on your person when carrying? I just started to CC so I'm fairly in experienced, but I've never really felt that a situation would arise where I would need more than the 15 + 1 that I keep in my G19. I keep an extra mag in the car and I feel that suffices.

Any input?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Do y'all really think it is all that important to keep an extra mag on your person when carrying? I just started to CC so I'm fairly in experienced, but I've never really felt that a situation would arise where I would need more than the 15 + 1 that I keep in my G19. I keep an extra mag in the car and I feel that suffices.

Any input?

Yes I do. One reason is if the gun jams I may clear it by dumping the mag on the ground and just put in a new mag. I carry 1 mag in the gun and 2 mags on my side at all times.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Any input?

Absolutely.

1. Most semi-auto malfunctions will be due to magazines or bad ammo. Having a supply of new of both is smart and helpful. Being able to simply strip out the mag and introduce a new source of ammo is normally a 99.9% fix. Good odds to me.

2. More ammo is always a good thing. :D

I often simply slide one in my back pocket. While it obviously does not provide for a quick reload, it is their. I would definitely recommend some type of mag carrier...probably kydex. Almost any will do nowadays. Depends on your style.

Definitely spare mag though.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Why not make your own??????? you can buy some kydex material, heat it up in the oven and play with it until you shape it the way you want it, etc etc. There are many places online where you can buy the tightening rivets and so on. Just an idea if you are a DIY kinna person.

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    I have a nylon sheath for a multi-tool that I don't use (because it's a piece of junk). I wear it on the weak side with one extra mag for the 1911.

It has the flap and disguises it. I don't like most holster makers mag carriers because the mag is so out there in the open. If we're supposed to conceal our weapon (so the sheep don't get nervous), then why don't the holster makers make a mag carrier with some sort of flap and make it look like something else than ammo? Quick to get to though.

Last edited:

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    Absolutely.

1. Most semi-auto malfunctions will be due to magazines or bad ammo. Having a supply of new of both is smart and helpful. Being able to simply strip out the mag and introduce a new source of ammo is normally a 99.9% fix. Good odds to me.

2. More ammo is always a good thing. :D

I often simply slide one in my back pocket. While it obviously does not provide for a quick reload, it is their. I would definitely recommend some type of mag carrier...probably kydex. Almost any will do nowadays. Depends on your style.

Definitely spare mag though.

What he said.

Bigtattoo79 posted links to the other kydex mag pouch that I recommend unreservedly. Comp-Tac and RM are the two companies that I use for 99% of my kydex gear.

Fisherman said:
    I have a nylon sheath for a multi-tool that I don't use (because it's a piece of junk). I wear it on the weak side with one extra mag for the 1911.

If it's too big a piece of junk to carry a multi-tool in, why would you carry your spare mag in it?

It has the flap and disguises it. I don't like most holster makers mag carriers because the mag is so out there in the open. If we're supposed to conceal our weapon (so the sheep don't get nervous), then why don't the holster makers make a mag carrier with some sort of flap and make it look like something else than ammo? Quick to get to though.

Just like a proper holster carries the gun, yet allows a full firing grip, the mag pouch should allow a sold grasp of the magazine. The more of the magazine that is covered by the pouch, the more problematic accessing the mag becomes.

Both the gun and mag pouch ought to be concealed but accessible.

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    If it's too big a piece of junk to carry a multi-tool in, why would you carry your spare mag in it?

LOL The multi-tool is the piece of junk. Not the sheath.

Just like a proper holster carries the gun, yet allows a full firing grip, the mag pouch should allow a sold grasp of the magazine. The more of the magazine that is covered by the pouch, the more problematic accessing the mag becomes.

Both the gun and mag pouch ought to be concealed but accessible.

I'm able to get the mag out of the multi-tool sheath plenty fast. Not problematic for me. It's just that it's green and doesn't blend in too well and the belt loop is sort of flemsy and I don't think it'll last too long. Just want something to replace it with that's more secure. (better belt loop and black or brown)

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This:
    5hzf0vovz2yb7v0txjvp.jpg

Or one of these:
    Sng-Mag-No-4.jpg

Just depends on what I'm wearing. Both are great. I love everything Comp-tac makes, but I really want to check out RM as well.

Top Bottom