Extreme Road Rage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Seems like he did everything right, to me, other than maybe getting the police on the phone a bit sooner. He had a vehicle that still ran, so he kept trying to GTFO.

When the guy starts climbing on my vehicle, I'm pretty sure that's when I decide to shoot, but he doesn't have that ability, surely. He did about everything he could do right.

Crazy bastards out there. That's extreme stuff.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    In Ascension parish you would have literally passed up 10 cops in the amount of time that chase took. Ha. In
    Austrialia I believe their gov't has disarmed them so a gun wasn't an option but I bet he wishes he did.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm with jnieman. Certainly getting away is the best option if possible though.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I saw no reason to shoot in that entire video. The best weapon he had was the vehicle he was in. Drive past him, drive thru him, and keep moving.

Much easier to explain to anyone later that "he jumped onto my hood while I was in motion, subsequently he was injured" rather than "he punched my window so I shot him in the face"

I think he did a great job, but if possible just drive straight to the police station.

edit: if he had ever presented a weapon of any fashion- follow suit.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

lol I guess that's the difference between your outlook and mine. When an enraged Crocodile Dundee manages to near-pierce the windshield with two blows, after the first one smashed it in like tissue paper, I consider a weapon to be present. Plus, I count him as being lucky that the guy fell off the hood when he drove away - he could have grabbed the hood and held on for the ride - he already seems to be a lunatic with no restraint on going full beast mode with every ounce of effort he could muster.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Cool- But I'd say the "bloke's" car WAS a weapon. :doh:

The Bloke is lucky he wasn't mashed all over the pavement- because the other car could have been a weapon, too.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Holy crap that's scary! As soon as I would have seen the driver drive along side me, I would have the police on the phone and made sure my pistol was within useable distance.

This whole video scares the crap out of me.

seawolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    North Baton Rouge
    Without that dash cam footage I doubt anybody would have believed his story. From what I heard the 911 (or 000) operator saying, it seemed she was more concerned for the aggressor than him.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    lol I guess that's the difference between your outlook and mine. When an enraged Crocodile Dundee manages to near-pierce the windshield with two blows, after the first one smashed it in like tissue paper, I consider a weapon to be present. Plus, I count him as being lucky that the guy fell off the hood when he drove away - he could have grabbed the hood and held on for the ride - he already seems to be a lunatic with no restraint on going full beast mode with every ounce of effort he could muster.

regarding the construction of a windshield- he wasn't coming through it. sure he can shatter the glass and make it tough to see through, but actually coming through the windshield is a (near) impossibility.

even so- at that point the best response is put it in drive and step on the gas. inflict harm AND provides a method of escape. I've tried holding onto the hood of a moving vehicle, and while I'm not mr. olympia I am far more athletic than the "bloke" in the video. It's damn near impossible, don't let jason statham tell you otherwise.

If he incapacitates my vehicle, gains entry to my vehicle, or makes me feel like my life is in danger- I'd draw. I'm just saying from a personal opinion that in the drivers point of view I never felt like his life was in danger. Maybe you did? I'm not saying its right or wrong, and I don't necessarily disagree with anyone that says they WOULD draw. I'm just saying I personally wouldn't have. I'd have stepped on the gas and kept 911 on speakerphone- which I think was the wisest decision available to the driver.

Kudos to him for ending a crazy situation without loss of life.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    I saw no reason to shoot in that entire video. The best weapon he had was the vehicle he was in. Drive past him, drive thru him, and keep moving.

Much easier to explain to anyone later that "he jumped onto my hood while I was in motion, subsequently he was injured" rather than "he punched my window so I shot him in the face"

I think he did a great job, but if possible just drive straight to the police station.

You may have seen no reason to, but would he have been justified? Could he have been scared for his life after the guy started ramming him?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Without that dash cam footage I doubt anybody would have believed his story. From what I heard the 911 (or 000) operator saying, it seemed she was more concerned for the aggressor than him.

Yep- first time she raised an eyebrow was when she thought he'd run over him. I mean come on, lady- How more emphatic could the guy have been??? :dogkeke:

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    Sorry, just reread your last post. I would've probably have driven too. I just wanted to see what others thought about justification. After my original CC class I would've said no, but after my last with a different instructor I say yes, even though its justified after he started ramming. As a last resort, I would've at least waited until he was punching the windshield. I wouldn't care to deal with more legal bs than I have too.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You may have seen no reason to, but would he have been justified? Could he have been scared for his life after the guy started ramming him?

If that situation occurred in our state, I think it'd be questionable enough that charges would be filed... but with that dashcam video I don't think you could find a jury that'd convict.

IMO He made sufficient attempt to remove himself from the situation repeatedly, and could conceivably argue that he was in fear of great bodily harm/for his life if the guy managed on any one of 6 or 7 attempts to roll his vehicle.

It's really scary, because without the dash cam how would he express the level of fear that this guy had? "He sideswiped me and hit me and I was really scared for my life!" - "uh huh" :rolleyes:

In my initial viewing I missed the 3 or 4 attempted pits on his car. I'm really on the fence here. If my kids were in the car, I'd have drawn in a heartbeat... especially knowing I had the camera as a witness. A flipped vehicle is definitely a threat to life. This video almost convinces me to get a dash cam. Why not

Last edited:
    Top Bottom