F-150 or Tundra: WINNER CHOSEN

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajunbuckeye

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    I have a 2004 tundra crew cab TRD 4x4. It is just turning 200k miles. I have not done one thing to this truck other than change the oil religiously. Just had first set of new brake pads put on at 175k. Never had timing belt replaced etc. I tow a 22' Pathfinder bay boat and a 16' go devil constantly. Great truck

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i have a 2011 F150 FX2 Ecoboost, its far better quality wise than the Tundra and gets better gas mileage... not to mention the interior and exterior on the F150 is definately superior.. F150 is simply the best full size gas truck you can get right now...

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Currently closing in on the end of my fourth year in my 07 Tundra.
    Full size crew cab with 8' bed and Lexus 5.7 V8 motor.
    122k miles.
    Never a problem and highly recommend it.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    I used to be a chevy man, and am kind of a dodge fan, (I like my Dakota, not so sure about more recent trucks...), but if think if I were to buy new, I would go with a Ford.
    They didn't take a bailout.
    American assembled (mostly).
    A friend has an 06 Tundra, that I drive occasionally, and I don't care for the close quarters handling.
    It takes up a country mile to turn it around. Plus the rearward visability is horrible...
    Another friend has a 10 model Tundra. I like the interior layout in it, but again, it's humungus, and seems to take up even more room to turn around, or park.

Though I've never personally owned a Ford, I've driven an e150 for the past 11 years.
    Started with a brand new 01, with the v6. I put 150k on it, when it came due for replacement.
    I was never easy on it, and 90% of the miles were in town.
    Had a fuel pump fail @ 15k miles, and a couple coil packs fail here and there a year or two later.
    Oil changes were 5k intervals, and had the entire suspension redone between 100k, and 120k.
    For the life it had, it ran ok, and held up well for the punishment.
    Not too shabby for wet road drifting, either... so I hear... lol
    It was replaced with an '11, New Years this year.
    I like some of the interior redesign, plus this one has a 4.6 V8, iirc.
    Overall the outside dimintions are the same length/width, but it is taller.
    You have to climb up into this one, compared to the old one.
    On the first spin round the block, the steering ratio threw me a curve ball.
    It takes twice as many turns of the steering wheel, to accomplish the same turn as the old van.
    It's a tad trickier to park, but it'll do.
    Overall, based on my experience, I'd probably go with the Ford.
    I drove an older f150, ('03, or so, iirc) which was top of the line lariat or some sort of package, and it rode like a cadillac.
    I was impressed with it. Interior was nicely appointed, and comfortable.
    I like the looks of the newer models.

I like what I'm hearing about the eco boost, as well.
    Interested to see how they hold up, being a new engine, and all.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I owned a 2004 F150 (Katrina Claimed it), then a 2005 fX4 F150 (both purchased new). I also owned several other ford trucks/broncos over the years. I was sick of paying the repair bills on my last F150 FX4. I took it from a $1600 repair bill one evening and traded it for my Tundra. I LOVE my Tundra and will not own another F150.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    You may want to look into getting that belt changed. I believe Toyota recommends changing them every 90,000 miles. It is a belt and not a chain. To the OP, I had 2004 Chevy Silverado V6 that I traded for a 2005 Tundra V6. Best vehicle decision I made. I then traded that for an 2008 Tundra 4.7l V8. Toyota had that engine in production for about 10 years. Awesome performance, handling, and they just look a helluva lot better than any other truck on the market. I love my Tundra!!

BTW...Fords are made in Mexico/Canada and imported to the USA. Tundras are made in Texas and Indiana employing Americans and paying taxes in the good ole USofA.

I have a 2004 tundra crew cab TRD 4x4. It is just turning 200k miles. I have not done one thing to this truck other than change the oil religiously. Just had first set of new brake pads put on at 175k. Never had timing belt replaced etc. I tow a 22' Pathfinder bay boat and a 16' go devil constantly. Great truck

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I recently bought a new silverado 1500 I love it no problems my dad bought one in 08stock and he has yet to have any problems either.

Bryan

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2007
    Hammond, LA
    I have an '08 Tundra Crew Max 4x4 with the 5.7 v8. I love my truck and have had zero issues with it. The gas mileage sucks though. My driving style doesn't help. I'm lucky if I get 17 mpg combined. I only have to drive 6 miles to work an back though.

I had an '06 Silverado that I traded in on the Tundra. Hated it. Poor quality and poor fit and finish.

As to the op question. I love my Tundra and plan on keeping it, but the new F-150's are nice with better mileage and a little cheaper.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I needed a new truck for work. I wound up with an f-150 with an ecoboost. My wife stopped driving her Yukon and kept driving my truck every chance she got, so I got her one too.

Some things to know about the new fords though, there have been a few reports of problems with the transmission or the injectors/coils. The good thing is that all problems seem to occur within the first 1000 miles and are quickly taken care of, and considering the number of trucks sold appear to be a very small percentage. Also, the fuel mileage isn't what ford claims it to be unless you drive 60mph. We get 17-18 average on both trucks. I haven't personally had any problems and love both of my new trucks. The ecoboost is great fun and tows like no other gas motor I've ever driven. The 5.0 is also proported to be a great motor, and average mpg appears to be the same as the ecoboost from what people are posting.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, the fuel mileage isn't what ford claims it to be unless you drive 60mph. We get 17-18 average on both trucks.

This is the damn truth. I've made a number of trips to Austin/Houston in mine and I've never gotten the listed mileage. I get about 16 mpg at about 72-73 and it just get worse from there, by about 1 mpg per 3mph. To be fair, my truck is 4 wheel drive with the 5.4 liter and I do have a set of extra wide Cooper Zeons on it. My 2008 F-150 got better mileage than my 2010.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    UAW supports Obama. UAW builds FORD trucks. Go with the Tundra. BTW - All Tundra's are built in Princeton, Indiana, USA by non UAW workers. So it is not UnAmerican to buy Toyota.

Last edited:

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Best we have gotten with ours is 24mpg. 4.6 3v 6spd auto, 3.31 rear end. running 60mph on the interstate. Running 70mph we can manage 22 on the way to houston and back at the right time of day without much traffic and no breaking cruise. My wife gets 18 out of it around town in her day to day running and I can't complain with that, but with me driving I can't top 16 to save my life. Pulling 5k trailer including load running 60 to 65 we managed 15 keeping it out of tow haul mode.

Top Bottom