F-Class Field Precision Rifle (FPR)- Officially Kicks Off March 12, 2011

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Yup, I requested off work, now I just need a chrono so I can get on target at 600.

Or does anyone know the speed of 168gr fgmm out of 20.5" 1-12 twist barrel?

You can figure 2600fps and get plenty close enough to hit a 48" square target at 600yds. Dial in 16 minutes from your 100yd zero and start sending lead downrange, you'll be close enough to only need one sighter. No chrono needed.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Rick am I missing something here? So if all rounds are to be fired from the mag, no single loading how are you going to get 22 rounds in a blind mag rifle?

Buck

It is a Hollywood mag.

Blind mag, or 10rd mag......either way you'll have to reload at some point. The guys with 30rd AR mags might have it good, but I'd rather be closer to the ground and not limited to a 77gr projectile anyway.

One thing's for sure....there's going to be some fast target pulling going on!:rofl:

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Rick am I missing something here? So if all rounds are to be fired from the mag, no single loading how are you going to get 22 rounds in a blind mag rifle?

Buck

Just like in rapid fire. If your mag does not hold 22 rounds, you can change mags or reload a blind mag. You just won't be able to load one round at a time as you would slow fire. It has to be fed from the mag.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    So we are giving an unfair advantage to the guy with a high capacity magazine rifle?

Do you really think the guy who can hold 22 rounds of .223, or the guy who can hold 19rds of .308 has an unfair advantage over the guy who has to load his 6.5x284 4 rounds at a time in 20 minutes? If so, then......yea.:mamoru:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    There are plenty of VLD's that can be run at mag length. I think it's more of a design to separate FPR from F-class. FIELD precision rifles are generally designed to hold ammunition in either an internal or detachable magazine. It's kinda like using the sling in service rifle. There are more stable (accurate) ways to shoot, but it's part of what holds it true to it's design.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Yes it is an advantage regardless of caliber. The longer you lay there waiting to shoot the greater chance that a condition will change. So for the guy who is all loaded up all he has to do is watch the conditions and shoot as soon as the target is up.

Have you ever asked Don Geraci why he shoots so fast?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Have you ever asked Don Geraci why he shoots so fast?

Uh, because he can't read the wind?

Buck is right of course. The faster you can get your shots off, the bigger advantage you have. If you have a good pit puller and a magazine full of ammo, you will have to deal with fewer wind changes than a person without those advantages. On most days, I would venture to say that a person shooting 77s, especially Lapuas, in an AR that can get his shots off in 3 minutes will lose less points to wind than someone with a .260 that takes 9 minutes to get his shots off unless the .260 shooter is also a good wind reader.

If you want to make it about the shooter, you could do it like a shoot off at Camp Perry? All targets up for a minute, then down for a minute, then back up again. That way there is no advantage to shooting fast. It would be like shooting your first shot for record 20 times. Those who can't read the wind would be treated poorly by Palo Alto's conditions, but you would learn to make first round hits.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    As time goes on, I am sure the rules will evolve. But having to start with something, we are trying to mirror as closely as possible the SWGC rules and the Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club (NCPPRC) rules. We and SWGC do not have the Limited and Open categories as yet, we have one, but if the sport grows, we may one day.

NCPPRC Rules:

Field Precision Rifle Class (FPR) Limited & Open Overview

F-Precision Rifle Limited Equipment Rules:
    • Gas Operated or Bolt Action Scoped Rifle
    • Bolt Action Rifles must be repeater type of action. No single shot actions.
    • Caliber limited to 308win or 223 (Unmodified)
    • 308win bullet weight will be limited to 168gn to 178gn
    • 223rem bullet weight will be limited to 92gn maximum.
    • Barrels are limited to 26” maximum.
    o Length will be measured from recoil lug to front end of muzzle or brake on bolt action rifles.
    o Length will be measured from the rear of the barrel nut, float tube, or rail attachment nut to front end of muzzle or brake on semi autos.
    • Brakes are allowed. The competitor is responsible for mitigating muzzle blast and debris. (Provisional)
    • Rifle weight limit of 17lbs with Bi-Pod attached. (Weight includes any accessories attached to the rifle)
    • Bi-pod will have a weight limit of 20oz maximum. All bipods must have folding legs.

F-Precision Rifle Open Equipment Rules:
    • Gas Operated or Bolt Action Scoped Rifle
    • Bolt Action Rifles must have a repeater action. No single shot actions.
    • Caliber Limited to 6mm to 338cal without bullet weight limitation
    • Barrels are limited to 28” maximum.
    o Length will be measured from recoil lug to the front of the muzzle or brake on bolt action rifles.
    o Length will be measured from the rear of the barrel nut, float tube, or rail attachment nut to the front end of the muzzle or brake on semi auto rifles.
    • Brakes are allowed. The competitor is responsible for mitigating muzzle blast and debris. (Provisional)
    • Rifle weight limit of 18lbs with Bi-Pod attached. (Weight includes any accessories attached to the rifle)
    • Bi-pod will have a weight limit of 20oz maximum. All bipods must have folding legs.

Feeding of Rounds:
    • All ammo must be fed from a magazine, mag well, or blind magazine.

Optics:
    • Optics will be restricted to a magnification of 1X to 25X maximum

Rear Rest for Both Classes:
    • Must not weigh more than 2lbs.
    • Shooting gloves are permitted.
    • Monopods are not permitted.

22. Field Precision RIFLE RULES (Field Precision Rifle)
    Conventional Long Range Competition
    NOTE: these rules are provided for the conduct of F-Tactical competition either separately or in conjunction with conventional NRA Long Range rifle competition. Scores fired in these competitions using the F-class modified targets will be used for classification. In all cases where specific rules are not given here, the appropriate rules for High Power Rifle competition shall be used.

3. EQUIPMENT AND AMMUNITION

3.4 Field Precision Rifle Rules -

(a) Field Precision Rifle Open (FPR-O) - A rifle restricted to a bore diameter no larger than .338 caliber. (Attention is directed to safety fan limitations of various ranges. Individual ranges may further restrict ammunition). The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly attached to the rifle’s for-end, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its weight must be included in the rifle’s overall weight. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Only magnified optic sighting systems are permitted, and will be included in the rifles overall weight.

The provisions of Rules 3.16 and 3.16.1 apply to this definition.

(1) The rifle’s overall weight, including all attachments such as optics and bipod, must not exceed 8.2
    kilograms (approximately 18 pounds). An “attachment” also includes any external object, other that the
    competitor and apparel, which recoils or partially recoils with the rifle, or which is clamped, held, or joined in any way to the rifle for each shot, or which even slightly raises with the firing of the rifle from the rests).

(2) The width of the rifle’s fore end shall not exceed 76mm (approximately 3 inches).

(3) The rifle must be fired in the prone position from the shoulder of the competitor using rifle rests as defined in Rule 3.4.1.

(4) All ammunition must be fed from the magazine, magazine well or blind magazine.

(b) Field Precision Rifle Limited (FPR-L) - A rifle restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO or unmodified .223 Remington/5.56mm X 45 NATO cartridge cases. The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly attached to the rifle’s for-end, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its weight must be included in the rifle’s overall weight. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Only magnified optic sighting systems are permitted, and will be included in the rifles overall weight.

(1) The rifle’s overall weight, including all attachments such as sights, sling and bipod, must not exceed 7.7 kilograms (approximately 17 pounds). An “attachment” also includes any external object, other
    than the competitor and apparel, which recoils or partially recoils with the rifle, or which is clamped, held, or joined in any way to the rifle for each shot, or which even slightly raises with the lifting of the rifle from its rest/firing point.

(2) The rifle must be fired in the prone position from the shoulder of the competitor using rifle as defined in

(3) 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO will have a bullet weight limitation of 168gn to 178gn bullets only.

(4) 223 Remington/5.56x45 NATO will have a bullet weight limitation of 92gns maximum.

(5) All ammunition must have the capability of feeding from the magazine system of the competitors rifle.

3.4.1 Rifle Rests -

Field Precision Rifle Rests - A bipod the only allowed front supports for the F-TR rifle. The rifle may be supported by a bipod and a rear support which provide no positive mechanical method for returning it to its precise point of aim for the prior shot. Subject to:

(1) The bipod and rear support may not be attached to each other.

(2) The use of any form of a table is prohibited. This discipline is a modification of high power prone shooting, not a form of bench rest and should not be construed as such.

Disabled competitors may apply to the NRA Protest Committee for appropriate dispensation.
    The intent of this rule is to prevent the use of a table type device.

(3) A bipod is a device with no more than two legs that touch the firing point. It must be rigidly attached to the fore end of the rifle. The bipod must have folding legs, and may be adjustable to compensate
    for the uneven surface of the firing point. The maximum weight limit of the bi-pod will be 20oz.

(4) No portion of the rifle’s butt or fore end shall rest directly on the ground or any hard surface. A rear rabbit eared bag, small sandbag or a gloved hand may be used to support the rifle’s butt. Any rear support employed shall not be attached, clamped or held to the rifle in any manner. The rear support may not be fixed to or protrude into the firing point. Mechanically adjustable rear support is not allowed.

(5) Any number or type of objects may be placed beneath the bipod or rear support, to compensate for variations in height or slope of the firing point.

(6) The bipod and rear rest may be adjusted after any shot to compensate for rest movement or settling.

3.4.2 Optics –

Field Precision Rifle optics are restricted to 1X – 25X magnification power ranges only.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Yes it is an advantage regardless of caliber. The longer you lay there waiting to shoot the greater chance that a condition will change. So for the guy who is all loaded up all he has to do is watch the conditions and shoot as soon as the target is up.

Point taken. I guess I see the difference between a blind and mag fed system being similar to two guys shooting in F-open.....one with a bone stock 700 in .270 and the other with a fully custom bench rifle in 6x47L. One has an obvious advantage, but is it an unfair one? No, because they're both subjected to the same rules.

We're not trying to narrow down the sport to a "nascar-like" game where everything is completely equal, but starting a shooting discipline that will allow new shooters to compete with rifles that are different from, and that wouldn't perform as well, in F-class. I guess we'll see when all of the scores are finished and tallied as to what guns/calibers/feeding systems end up on top. Of course I invite you and Dan to put together a qualifying AR and come out and shoot to prove your points!! :D;)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    One has an obvious advantage, but is it an unfair one?

Of course I invite you and Dan to put together a qualifying AR and come out and shoot to prove your points!! :D;)

I never considered it a question of fairness. I just agreed that there is in fact an advantage. I don't think that your example was analogous though.

We may just do that one slow Saturday. But for the fact I UPSed my scope to Leupold about 2 hours ago, I am pretty sure I have the makings for a qualified rifle laying around. I am not sure about the butt stock though.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    I need to get glass that's more than 4x and give this a try!

4x will work.........just not very well :D

But seriously folks, if you have the BDC in that ACOG, and they actually work for your load, you will be shooting at a great big target....just center it up and let fly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom