F250 advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jefro83

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    Raceland
    I recently bought my wife a '08 F250 4dr 4x4 with the 6.4L diesel. Truck has 40k miles and is clean as a whistle. Anyone have any advice on what I need to do to the engine to avoid future issues?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Leave it stock!
    Do not touch it!
    If the warranty is out,and you want to mod it any, keep at least 6 grand handy for when it goes to the shop.
    My local dealer wouldnt even work on them unless they had to. More modifications = more problems and less longevity. Leave it stock and you should be fine.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    ^^^This^^^ Lots of folks with the older 6.0 went thru this. Everybody that I knew with that engine who had a mod done had problems and those that didn't have a mod did fine. Don't know if you have ever had a diesel but its a good idea to start a little savings stash for when stuff does go wrong..repairs are not cheap unless you know someone who works on the side at their home. I had a 2000 Superduty with the 7.3 till 3 months ago when I decided I didn't want to pay premium fuel prices and expensive repairs any more and I didn't haul heavy stuff like I once did. Sometimes I wish I still had it but sure don't miss filling up that 38 gallon tank!! I now drive a 2012 F-150 Supercrew and am happy with that.

Silver03gt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Harvey, LA
    I have heard to delete the dpf or whatever it is called. I have a diesel power mag laying around here somewhere with that engine in it. I will read what it says and let you know.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I know you don't have the 6.0 but for anyone who has a 6.0 and is reading this. I strongly recommend having the Head Gaskets and Studs replaced with the ARP Head studs and ARP metal head gasket's. This will save your engine in the long run. Especially if you put a programmer on it.

autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    I drive a f350 crew can dually that weighs 13 k with all my tools. I deleted the dpf, installed an edge race tuner that is adjustable from 30-140 hp increase, and a k and n filter. I gained 6 mpg! If I set cruise on interstate it gets 21-22 mpg. The fuel savings over my 6.0 gas Chevy pays the truck note if you keep your foot out of it.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    The 6.4 has an inherently problematic high pressure fuel pump. Maintain your fuel system. Water is death to the pump and injectors. There is a modification "by FORD" to the radiator. It involves a simple T fitting. It will save your radiator. The 6.4 seems to avoid some of the grief of the 6.0

Top Bottom