Facilities at sherburne?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello all,

I have never been to the sherburne range, and I have only seen a few pictures.

Do they have target stands out there? If not, are there any suggestion other than political poster signs?

Also, what other facilities are located in the area? I have never been out that way before and was wondering what was nearby as well?

Thanks for all of your help,

djrpm

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    uhhh...they have a tree for the guys to pee on, and a different one for the women to pee behind. they have a port-a-potty too. no running water for drinking purposes...just rinsing.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    It's in the middle of nowhere . There was a good supply of target stands today .
    Also , they built a boat launch and pier right across from the check-in board .

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    There are wooden target stands. Bring some tape or stable gun to put stuff on 'em
    Hello all,

Do they have target stands out there? If not, are there any suggestion other than political poster signs?

Also, what other facilities are located in the area? I have never been out that way before and was wondering what was nearby as well?
    Have you looked were it's at?:mamoru:
    gduvsavfvywi1m2kk6.jpg

If coming from BR, there is a Shell gas station before the long bridge.

:)

djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thank you guys for all of your help. I've gotten the info I was looking for. I will definitely supply my own goods and bring my staple gun.

DR.NUMBERS

Addict of the Arcane Arts
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    Hello all,

Thanks for all of your help,

djrpm

Sherburne is a great place to shoot. It's free, well-maintained and I've never seen it really busy. They have both a pistol range and a rifle range, the rifle is 100m and I can't remember how long the pistol range is. Both are covered and have tables/racks/seats. I've heard they also have skeet shooting facilities but I've never seen them.

They do provide target stands but occasionally these can be somewhat shot up, bring your own targets. Toilet facilities afaik are limited to a porter potty and what cover nature provides.

onlyjourneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    The last time I was there, I was told that I needed to have "any" type of Louisiana hunting or fishing license. I bought a "cane pole" fishing license for JIC.
    I don't know if this is still a requirement. I have never been checked by the wardens there.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    correct. To use the facilities of a Wildlife Management Area you have to have at a minimum of a hunting or fishing license, you can also get by with a Wildlife Management Permit or just about any other license that is available from the machine that sells licenses at local retailers. Personally I have a lifetime hunt and fish I purchased a few years ago, I believe in supporting programs that support what I enjoy.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    The last time I was there, I was told that I needed to have "any" type of Louisiana hunting or fishing license. I bought a "cane pole" fishing license for JIC.
    I don't know if this is still a requirement. I have never been checked by the wardens there.
    You still need one
    Or a Wild Louisiana Stamp.

:)

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Sherburne is a great place to shoot. It's free, well-maintained and I've never seen it really busy. They have both a pistol range and a rifle range, the rifle is 100m and I can't remember how long the pistol range is. Both are covered and have tables/racks/seats. I've heard they also have skeet shooting facilities but I've never seen them.

They do provide target stands but occasionally these can be somewhat shot up, bring your own targets. Toilet facilities afaik are limited to a porter potty and what cover nature provides.

The skeet ranges are not up. They have one open but the equipment was removed and you have to throw your own clays. They had two automatic ranges with two throwers each but they need to be rebuilt.

The rifle range gets crowded before hunting season with people sighting in their guns.

That is true but I have never been checked. You are also required to sign in and out. There is a box and you just fill out a card and place part of it in the box when you enter and the other part in the box when you leave. It is possible to go to the range and shoot and leave without any licenses or sign in/out.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I go out 190 that dirt road to nowhere going to I-10 sucks.

+1000

Google had me go I-10 and then north. It was about 15 miles of washboard/dirt road that had me driving about 30mph tops. Lesson learned on that one. On the way back I took 190 which is only a couple miles north of Sherburne. Then I cut across through Port Allen to get back to I-10. Highway 1 is one way to cut across but Lobdell Hwy looks like a shorter distance with less wasted driving. That's the way I went. I don't know which is faster. That assumes you travel back east.

Bring your own targets and a method of attachment. They provide 2x4 stands with plywood backing for the targets. Bring your own drinks/food/wash rag and a hunting license. I grabbed a cane pole license at Academy. I think they all expire at the end of June so if you buy one 6/29 you only get a day or two out of that payment. Something to be aware of. There were very few people out there, sometimes none, when I went. I took advantage of the nearest tree though I did see a port-a-potty.

They're nice facilities and it was very relaxing when my friend and I were the only ones at the rifle range. It was worth the trip and being free it basically pays for your gas versus a range fee. Plus the length of the rifle range is a big plus.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    But, If they do catch you without a license or not signed in, it is a $350.00 fine

I've never been checked, but I haven't hunted or fished there. I do have a fishing license so if they do question me at the range I'm covered. Fishing licenses are cheaper than one trip to most ranges and it is well worth the cost to be able to use the facilities and 44,000 acres at Sherburne.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    That is true but I have never been checked. You are also required to sign in and out. There is a box and you just fill out a card and place part of it in the box when you enter and the other part in the box when you leave. It is possible to go to the range and shoot and leave without any licenses or sign in/out.

I have never signed in or out or had a wildlife stamp. I didn't even know I needed one until I went a few months ago. I dont think the sign in/out is such a big deal since you are right there and not somewhere in the middle of the woods.

My son and I will be there on Friday or Saturday.

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I got my stamp today. it went up .50 so now it's $5.50 and it's good until 6/30/10.

Doug, when Friday or Saturday you going? A group of us are also going and i have those +P boolits for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom